Unfriendly gays on cruises

tennboy1981

We act antisocial but we really aren't. We have friends but we really don't do anything. We are like 2 old men who sit at home and watch TV, read and have a beer with dinner and think that is a fun filled night. I would like nothing more than to be more social and meet & mingle while on the cruise. At the same time I would be perfectly fine sitting on my balcony with a book and just watch the water. I don't know yet. Haven't been on a cruise so don't know what to expect.

When I say hello, don't run in the opposite direction, LOL. :')

We act antisocial but we really aren't. We have friends but we really don't do anything. We are like 2 old men who sit at home and watch TV, read and have a beer with dinner and think that is a fun filled night. I would like nothing more than to be more social and meet & mingle while on the cruise. At the same time I would be perfectly fine sitting on my balcony with a book and just watch the water. I don't know yet. Haven't been on a cruise so don't know what to expect.

Uhhh, Mom,Dad. Is that you? Sorry, you remind me of my parents(at least at home)when out & about they were really very sociable, though.

Princess usually schedules them daily, which consists of nothing more than putting a notice in the daily Patter. Sometimes a staffer shows up for the first one.

On our 2016 Regal Princess B2B, the first week nothing. The ship was full of Carolina Panther fans.(super bowl week)Worst low class group of pax I ever saw. We thought the cruise was going to suck. The excursions were fine, so that helped. Most of that group(and it was a majority of pax)left the ship on Valentine's Day. We then had a whole new group of pax. The LGBT meetings were well attended & we dined frequently as a large group of about 15 at Sabatini's & Crown Grill. One of the best times was that second week. Real great group of people.

Uhhh, Mom,Dad. Is that you? Sorry, you remind me of my parents(at least at home)when out & about they were really very sociable, though.

Its ok we are the grumpy old couple in our group of friends. I am in my early 30s, husband is late 20s. We just enjoying relaxing is all. We met in a club 7 years ago, left that scene and just have done our own thing since then. It is going to be exciting to hang out with like minded individuals. We live in a very rural, very old fashioned, very small texas town so not much to do anyways except watch the grass grow.

This thread has me thinking that I'm not going to meet any LGBT people on my cruise!! Too many people want to keep to themselves. Where are all the social LGBT folks?? :confused:

We’re not all anti social, we try and meet up with fellow LGBT passengers but I agree that it isn’t always easy. We always say hello to any gay passengers we spot but sadly we don’t always get a response.

We’re not all anti social, we try and meet up with fellow LGBT passengers but I agree that it isn’t always easy. We always say hello to any gay passengers we spot but sadly we don’t always get a response.

Those people who don't respond are saying to themselves, Gee, why aren't we meeting anyone? :rolleyes:

Wait. I'm confused. You are antisocial, but you want to meet people? Huh? :confused:

I understand. I have a hard time meeting people. Anxiety issues, Want to be social. Sometimes cant.

Its ok we are the grumpy old couple in our group of friends. I am in my early 30s, husband is late 20s. We just enjoying relaxing is all. We met in a club 7 years ago, left that scene and just have done our own thing since then. It is going to be exciting to hang out with like minded individuals. We live in a very rural, very old fashioned, very small texas town so not much to do anyways except watch the grass grow.

Richard & I are about twice your ages. We have friends in San Antonio. They like the culture, but really don't like the state itself too much. One of them(Mark) is from up here in NH the other(Matt is from Texas)

Here's my two cents. Husband and I cruise about once a year, we see gay couples on every sailing, polite hellos are exchanged in passing but because of times of the FOD gatherings we have never gone. On our last cruise my sister-in-law made friends with a gay couple but when we were introduced it was like we had the plague! I don't get it.

Here's my two cents. Husband and I cruise about once a year, we see gay couples on every sailing, polite hellos are exchanged in passing but because of times of the FOD gatherings we have never gone. On our last cruise my sister-in-law made friends with a gay couple but when we were introduced it was like we had the plague! I don't get it.

So, what was it like meeting the other gay couple? Were they rude, or just disinterested? Not very talkative, perhaps?

See and I don't want to be that couple.

So, what was it like meeting the other gay couple? Were they rude, or just disinterested? Not very talkative, perhaps?

My husband and I walked up to the table where they were all sitting, we were introduced and we all said hello, then they excused themselves. We saw them several other times and exchanged hellos AND they spent time with my S-I-L every morning. I guess we just didn't click (or my S-I-L told stories, she and I have had our issues).

My partner and I recently sailed on the Adventure of the Seas, 12/16 - 12/23, out of San Juan. During our week, we came across only three gay couples, two of whom were seated at tables near us in the dining room. The third couple participated in two of our excursions. All the couples were foreign and spoke very little English and we both spoke even less Spanish and Italian. We all regularly waved, smiled and uttered our native "Hello" when passing each other, but beyond that we didn't get together for drinks, etc... Had language been less of an issue, I think we'd have made time to meet and chat with each other. The Cruise Compass did have daily listings for "LGBTQ gatherings" in the Champagne Bar, nightly at 11:00 PM. We both thought the scheduling at such a late time was ridiculous. We had excursions booked for every port day, which put a cap on how late we wanted to be up on any given night. We were back in our cabin by 10:00, asleep by 10:30 PM and we woke up every morning, except for our at sea day, at 6:00 AM.

The Cruise Compass did have daily listings for "LGBTQ gatherings" in the Champagne Bar, nightly at 11:00 PM.

I always wondered why they scheduled things so late.....we too, are in bed by 10 and would never be up that late! Those early excursions do cut into your sleep time...vbg ;p

I always wondered why they scheduled things so late.....we too, are in bed by 10 and would never be up that late! Those early excursions do cut into your sleep time...vbg ;p

Yes, I wondered too, but never bothered to ask someone at Guest Services. That's okay, we're on vacation to leave the ship and explore islands. I need my 8 hours of sleep or I'll seriously cut a b****! ;p

Some uppity gays have just ZERO respect for proper “cruising!”

I don’t really know what this comment even means.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am feeling my age. Is it just the pre-social media generation that understands about the original meaning of gay cruising? It's about meeting someone by wandering the streets (or certain streets or or certain parks or certain bars) and exchanging meaningful glances to indicate interest and see if there is a reciprocal interest. A little more complicated than just checking out an app on a smart phone. This dates from the days when being identified as gay to the wrong person could be dangerous (which is still the case in some places).