Progreso food options on the beach - are they safe?

jeff92k7

We will be going to Progreso next month and will be spending the day on the beach and doing a little shopping. We plan to eat lunch at one of the restaurants next to the beach, but something I read elsewhere has me wondering... are those restaurants safe to eat at? I read a post recently about someone getting sick after eating food in Mexico because they water used to wash/prepare/cook the food isn't typically the bottled water that they serve to drink. Just thought I'd ask here to see what people's experiences have been.

We've eaten at Le Saint Bonnet several times with no problems. I have an iron stomach, often eat Mexican street food, but DH has a delicate system and gets sick if he looks at bad food! He's never had even a tiny bit of upset from eating/drinking there. They know the reviews are important, they're going to make sure everything is safe.

Honestly, you never really know.

But that said, I've eat all across the Caribbean, from high end places to street vendors. I've never personally gotten sick. I don't have a particularly strong stomach either.

Many of those place focus on tourists for their income. If they were unsanitary, they wouldn't have customers for very long.

My two cents.

Never been to Progresso, but have been to many of the beach towns along Baja and in Cozumel.

In general I’d trust a restaurant, not those roaming around with sticks of cooked shrimp.

Montezuma’s Revenge and food poisoning can happen anywhere. MIL got both in land Hawaii one trip.

We've eaten at Le Saint Bonnet several times with no problems. I have an iron stomach, often eat Mexican street food, but DH has a delicate system and gets sick if he looks at bad food! He's never had even a tiny bit of upset from eating/drinking there. They know the reviews are important, they're going to make sure everything is safe.

We have also eaten at Le Saint Bonnet multiple times and had no issues at all.

Our last cruise we ate off the beach at La Genuina. It is across the street from where you come out after going through the flea market and across from Dominos. They have a really unusual salsa that was excellent. Everyone in the group enjoyed what they had for lunch. Best of all, the prices were much more reasonable than at Le Saint Bonnet. If you sit outside, it is a great place to people watch!

It depends a lot on where you are going to eat and how sensitive you are. One can eat everything and the other at 15 minutes asks you to go to the bathroom. The vast majority of shipping companies recommend not exposing themselves to risks. I will love eat a shrimp and fish tacos and a seashell cocktail. Enjoy your trip

We winter near Progreso and have eaten and most of the restaurants along the malecon. While some have better food (Eladios and Flamingo) and others are disappointing (St. Bonet and Crabster), we have not contracted any food borne illnesses. Most food safety experts will say that its your dirty hands that will make you sick. When you dip that tortilla chip, the chip will have everyone your fingers picked up during the day. If you wash your hands in soap and water (every restaurant will have someplace to wash your hands) and use hand sanitizer, you stand a very good chance of staying healthy. I would not skip the good local cooking because of fear of food borne illness.

We've been to Progresso twice, the last time being in 2016. I both love and hate Progresso. It is certainly more "real" than most other cruise ship ports. That being said there was a lot of development that happened between our 14 & 16 visits and I hear that more and more cruise ships are stopping there. Basically the farther you walk down the beach the cheaper the prices get. It starts out wanting to charge you for a table and chairs on the beach to begging you to sit. As I recall we walked about 1/2 mile down the beach until we found a nice restaurant with some beach side table and chairs. We had a lovely afternoon of food and drinks for about $50 with tip. But I'm sure things have continued to develop.

We've been to Progresso twice, the last time being in 2016. I both love and hate Progresso. It is certainly more "real" than most other cruise ship ports. That being said there was a lot of development that happened between our 14 & 16 visits and I hear that more and more cruise ships are stopping there. Basically the farther you walk down the beach the cheaper the prices get. It starts out wanting to charge you for a table and chairs on the beach to begging you to sit. As I recall we walked about 1/2 mile down the beach until we found a nice restaurant with some beach side table and chairs. We had a lovely afternoon of food and drinks for about $50 with tip. But I'm sure things have continued to develop.

It has changed, when we started going there we commented it was how Cozumel was when we started cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
WOW, we would have starved for 2 weeks in Playa Del Carmen. The food was outstanding and the water was potable. Caribun, perhaps you are over reacting?

2 years ago, my parents embarked on a 2 week dream cruise from LA through the Panama Canal to Miami. They enjoyed a nice lunch with a tour in Puerta Vallarta. My mother was the only one who consumed a frozen margarita (others had bottled beer). She became critically ill while on the ship, though was assumed to have Norovirus and was confined per protocols. She tried to make it home as she did not wish to be hospitalized in Central America, so she stayed mostly in the cabin. Upon arrival home to Nashville, she had gained 28lbs over 9 days. She was in renal failure, congestive heart failure, profound hemolytic anemia, and diabetic ketoacidosis. She had a 5 day hospitalization where she was diagnosed with a virulent strain of E. coli which almost certainly came from the frozen drink. So....I'd be hesitant to say anyone who is careful is "over reacting."

Truth be told, I still have a frozen drink at reputable resorts (ie Mr. Sanchos, Playa Mia, Paradise Beach...and may give them a go at Silcer Beach Club)...but I recognize the danger inherent to them.