Boarding email - is progressive check-in true?

SeybRWC

Cruising on Ruby 1/6/18 and just got this information in an email. Is it true or Princess' way of trying to spread out boarding times?

PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready. Once onboard, enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

12:30 PM - Baja & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L

1:15 PM - Emerald & Dolphin Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with E & D

2:00 PM - Caribe & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & P

2:45 PM - Aloha & Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with A & R

It's Princess' way of trying to spread out boarding times.

Most ports you can arrive between 10 & 11. Once you're inside, you'll be guided to a waiting area. They usually open check-in around 11ish, starting with Elite/Suites.

Once checked in, you go to another waiting area and wait for your number to be called.

We generally arrive around 10 and are on the ship by 11:30. Drop off our bags in our cabin and head to the MDR for a nice sit down lunch.

There are lots of posts here with more information (I left out a little)...this question is asked at least once a week.;)

It is a suggestion, not a requirement.

But it is in writing and according to some it must be followed exactly as posted. To not do so means it will interfere with the enjoyment of the cruise by others.

Actually show up when you get to the port. As others have said it is not a requirement. Imagine the port nightmare if it was strictly enforced. Even Princess shuttle service ignores it.

We just cruisers on the Ruby in November and we boarded shortly after arriving. At check in they gave us a number and we only sat for a few minutes and they call large groups numbers and it goes very fast. There was no mention of the progressive boarding time at check in even though our boarding information had one. And our cabin was ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just cruisers on the Ruby in November and we boarded shortly after arriving. At check in they gave us a number and we only sat for a few minutes and they call large groups numbers and it goes very fast. There was no mention of the progressive boarding time at check in even though our boarding information had one. And our cabin was ready.

Do you remember what time you arrived at the cruise terminal? We are sailing out of San Pedro on Princess for the first time. Is this the same dock that RCCL used to sail from?

Do you remember what time you arrived at the cruise terminal? We are sailing out of San Pedro on Princess for the first time. Is this the same dock that RCCL used to sail from?

Our flight arrived at LAX at about 10:15 and we were at the cruise terminal in San Pedro by noon. Boarding goes quite fast. I was surprised how quickly each group went through and the next was called.

Yes, this is the same RCCL terminal. To me it looks nicer inside than it did when Royal had it.

The waiting area is very nice.

I think there was water and coffee

If Princess actually did this, it would be totally unfair. The decks that are scheduled last would be shut out of a lot off the extras that can only be booked once on board. It would be just as unfair if they did it by alphabet (last name). People that want to board early show up early and people who want to board later show up later after the crowd is gone.

But it is in writing and according to some it must be followed exactly as posted. To not do so means it will interfere with the enjoyment of the cruise by others.

Actually show up when you get to the port. As others have said it is not a requirement. Imagine the port nightmare if it was strictly enforced. Even Princess shuttle service ignores it.

I live in Sydney and RCab enforce boarding times. If you show up outside your 'given time' you are allowed to drop your bags off - but are then sent on your merry way until your correct boarding time. It's awful.

I was wondering if other lines were going to follow along with making people stick to their set times!

The boarding time is a suggestion only. We were on a AK cruise out of Seattle in July with well over 2000 newbies aboard. They all believed the hype about boarding time and as we sat in the MDR for lunch could see a steady stream of pax boarding the ship. Actually it was quite nice because the ship did not get crowded until 3 PM of so with the late boarders. We always arrive early (~11 AM) and walked right on the ship with a maybe 5 minute delay.

I live in Sydney and RCab enforce boarding times. If you show up outside your 'given time' you are allowed to drop your bags off - but are then sent on your merry way until your correct boarding time. It's awful.

I was wondering if other lines were going to follow along with making people stick to their set times!

P&O in the UK (also part of Carnival) have been doing this for a couple of years now and are quite strict about it. If you arrive early you have to wait until your allocated time unless there is a quiet period and then they will allow you to board. If you arrive by P&O transport you can board on arrival.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app