Tipping at specialty dining restaurants

MsSoCalCruiser

I've considering writing a book titled PRINCESS CRUISES COMPLETE GUIDE TO TIPPING but alas, those who travel by air would have an issue with overweight luggage due to the size of such a book :cool:

True for any book on Princess rules including embarking by deck, bringing wine aboard, MDR dress codes and so forth.

We do one specialty dining each cruise and have never left a tip. I was not aware of the statement on the online menu. I have not seen it on the actual menu onboard.

Tipping always provides such entertaining responses. Has anyone ever thought to ask: 1) for a complete list of those included in the auto tip beneficiaries list? I think you may be surprised at the results (captain? cruise director?), 2) why they provide an autotip for each individual rather than jointly, which is the norm for shore dining, taxis, etc. and 3) why they do not autotip on cruises in Australia, where passengers would riot or China, where it is insulting to offer a tip? It is something which they add for, in particular, the USA where tipping is in the culture. It enables Carnival to pay less to their backroom staff so the executives can pat themselves on the back every year when they are counting their bonuses. For interest, P&O cruises, also owned by Carnival, charge $8 per day. You decide.

The "tip" topic always starts a "discussion" here on CC. As a long time (over forty years) cruiser...I have seen just about every kind of onboard tipping policy from the ole envelopes, "no tipping accepted," "No tipping required," auto-tips (both mandatory and voluntary), etc. etc.

I have never been a fan of auto tips since we do not even view that as a real tip. However, we play the game and follow the basic rules and certainly pay our auto tips. Part of me thinks that the cruise lines have dug their own hole with the entire auto-tip policy....and one can make a solid case that there is absolutely no need to leave any additional tips aboard a ship. Perhaps the biggest joke about auto tips is that the cruise lines now keep their distribution formula a complete secret. On one cruise line we have been told (by a crew member) that if they discuss anything about auto tip distribution they will lose their job (if they get caught).

To be totally honest, we just do not know how to handle alternative restaurants. We were recently on a 21 day Celebrity cruise where we ate 14 dinners in their alternative restaurants (those restaurants charge up to $50 per person). In their best restaurant (Murano) where we dined 10 times...we got to know many of the staff. At the end of some dinners the waiter would bring us a check (with a zero balance since our premium drink package covered our wine/beverages) and we would add a nice tip. But during more then half our dinners our waiter did not even bother giving us a check (since the balance was zero)...so there was no way to tip unless one happened to have cash (we seldom carry cash on a ship).

Now we get to the Crown Grill....a venue we have always found lacking in many ways. On our last few Princess cruises we have not even bothered to go to a Princess alternative restaurant since we are not impressed. Meanwhile, Princess changed their Crown Grill rules to "one entree only" with an additional $10 for a 2nd entree (i.e. surf and turf). And they have apparently added language to "encourage" customers to leave a tip. So, now you are paying your daily auto tip, paying extra for your food, and they also want you to pay a tip (would that be a tip on top of a tip). And we wonder if the Maitre'd will soon start standing by the door with a "gift plate" where you can deposit another tip for his services. And how about the wine steward. Are they going to start asking for a tip (on top of the service charge)?

And then we got to thinking about the capable crew who help folks on and off the tenders. They are very important (especially is the tender is bouncing around). Should we be handing cash (perhaps $20) to these guys? And when we go to Guest Services and they help resolve an issue or answer a question should we give them a quick $5 or $10? And how about the very important plumber. If you have ever had a clogged toilet or broken faucet...these guys become very important. Should we tip them $20? And of course there are the hard working clerks in the cruise terminal (when you are checking-in) who have to stand on their feet for hours and smile at everyone. Should we slip them a $20? (we doubt if they are in any tipping pool). Perhaps our "Aussie" friends have a great idea which is to simply pay folks a "living wage" and do not tip.

If my post is starting to sound a bit nutz.....stop and think! Is it? Where does it (tipping) end? And who is giving us a tip for being willing cruisers?

Now before I get "flamed" will tell you why tips can be bad. We live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year. Many of us routinely use the local taxis....which are relatively inexpensive. The mores (tradition) here in PV is not to tip taxi drivers....or perhaps give them a few pesos. But we Americans love to tip...so many tourists do tip taxi drivers and tip them quite well. When we do this we think, "these drivers make very little money and deserve a nice tip." But there is a downside. Many local Mexicans also need to use taxis....but for the locals the taxi prices are not so cheap and they follow the norm which is to not tip. So now, many of the taxi drivers do not want to pick up Mexicans...and perfer to wait for an American/Canadian (or especially a cruiser who they can also overcharge). So because we like to tip we are having a negative impact on the locals. Go figure.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Its interesting to read the many discussions that center around the practice of tipping on board Princess ships. Back in the day on the last night (we) passengers sat around lamenting how much cash to place in the many envelopes, which prompted Princess to implement the cashless cruising process by which all crew members were (theoretically) fairly compensated by levying a daily gratuity across the passenger population.

But as we can all see, this still leaves some doubt about the many instances where gaps appear to exist. Since Princess implemented the auto-gratuity program, we have chosen to play by their rules and not worry about who gets a tip and who does not. We now focus on the primary reason for being on board - enjoying ourselves completely. We pay the auto-gratuity, and still tip our room service waiter when (and if) we utilize that service. Other than that, we refuse to leave any additional compensation.

I realize some feel the crew deserves tips for their exemplary service, but I feel I am paying for (with my auto-gratuity) nothing less than exemplary service. Some feel tipping helps the crew supplement the low wages they earn, however they knew the wage when they signed their contract so again, that is not mine to worry over.

i dislike the auto gratuity system because of this exact issue -- the eternal question of "is the waitstaff in this specific situation" covered. When specialty dining first came out (for us it was on NCL Sky back when they still only had traditional dining, with just one venue for specialty) it was $5 pp cover -- and that $5 was the tip, not a food charge. Simple, no hassle and you knew the staff was covered from the get go.

Now it's so blended and mashed up; with vague descriptions of who is and isn't included in the auto-gratuity. I'm not a big fan of the tipping system anyway, so this just adds to the negativity.

Don't understand why it can't be consistent. Bar staff aren't included in the auto-tip, so a percentage is added to each bar receipt. If the waitstaff at specialty restaurants are also not included in the auto tip, why wouldn't the cruise line add a percentage to that receipt as well?? Problem solved, we all know who, where and when we are tipping.

I'm in a quandary on this topic, because I have reserved and paid for several tables at CG for our group. So if the staff arent included in the auto tip pool, I need to cover the tip for 16 people. I was planning on padding the auto tip for the group, but now I'm questioning whether my anticipated "pad" is sufficient.

i dislike the auto gratuity system because of this exact issue -- the eternal question of "is the waitstaff in this specific situation" covered. When specialty dining first came out (for us it was on NCL Sky back when they still only had traditional dining, with just one venue for specialty) it was $5 pp cover -- and that $5 was the tip, not a food charge. Simple, no hassle and you knew the staff was covered from the get go.

Now it's so blended and mashed up; with vague descriptions of who is and isn't included in the auto-gratuity. I'm not a big fan of the tipping system anyway, so this just adds to the negativity.

Don't understand why it can't be consistent. Bar staff aren't included in the auto-tip, so a percentage is added to each bar receipt. If the waitstaff at specialty restaurants are also not included in the auto tip, why wouldn't the cruise line add a percentage to that receipt as well?? Problem solved, we all know who, where and when we are tipping.

I'm in a quandary on this topic, because I have reserved and paid for several tables at CG for our group. So if the staff arent included in the auto tip pool, I need to cover the tip for 16 people. I was planning on padding the auto tip for the group, but now I'm questioning whether my anticipated "pad" is sufficient.

My point exactly. You should not be placed in a position where you are concerned; the auto-gratuity should cover ALL instances where a passenger may feel a tip is appropriate. if they need to increase the auto-tip, so be it, but once it is paid, there should never be a reason to provide additional, supplemental monies for a service provided.

If the waitstaff at specialty restaurants are also not included in the auto tip, why wouldn't the cruise line add a percentage to that receipt as well?? Problem solved, we all know who, where and when we are tipping.

According to the Princess Cruise Personalizer FAQ on pre-paid gratuities...

"During your cruise, regardless of which Princess ship you chose, you will meet staff who provide you with excellent service. To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity is applied automatically to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet"

...so I see no reason to tip at the specialty restaurants as their tip are already included in the pre-paid package.

Boycott the auto daily gratuity charge ( must OPT out ) until Princess gives a

transparent definitive answer to EXACTLY who all is included and at what %/$

amount.

and I have never, ever done that, but am NOT a fan of tipping based on an amount,

such as 15% on a single beer, v 15% on a bucket of beer...if no tip was auto, I would tip a $1 on a single beer, and prolly the same amount on the bucket, for the xxtra 30 seconds it takes them to do that

I have never been a fan of auto tips since we do not even view that as a real tip. However, we play the game and follow the basic rules and certainly pay our auto tips. Part of me thinks that the cruise lines have dug their own hole with the entire auto-tip policy....and one can make a solid case that there is absolutely no need to leave any additional tips aboard a ship. Perhaps the biggest joke about auto tips is that the cruise lines now keep their distribution formula a complete secret.

It is not just Princess, but also competitors such as CCL, RCCL, Celebrity, etc. that have the autotip.

History lesson:

When we first started cruising on Princess and RCCL, there was no autotip. Instead you had to figure out in advance how much you wanted to tip (guidelines were available) and then go get tip envelopes, put the proper amounts in each and then search out the staff you wanted to tip.

When anytime dining was introduced on Princess, so was the auto-tip. This was mainly because in anytime you might not have the same waitstaff each night and thus it would be difficult to give cash properly to those who served you. The initial amount of the autotip was the same as the total of the guidelines previously for tipping and could be placed on your onboard account.. Personally, I found the autotip a vast improvement over carrying proper cash on a cruise and dealing with tip envelopes.

Nobody is forced on Princess to pay the autotip as you can go to passenger services and have it removed. However if you do so, any cash tip given to your dining room waitstaff and your cabin steward will be turned into the tipping pool anyway. Incidentally, before the autotip the dining rooms were often half-empty the last evening because passengers who did not want to leave a tip for the waitstaff did not go do dinner that night.

By the way, the last time I was on RCCL, if you selected their version of anytime dining, you had to fully pay the tips when making final payment for the cruise, not so optional. For traditional dining it could still be put to your onboard account.

How do you determine how much to tip the bar staff when you have the All Inclusive drink package or is it already included? You aren't paying each time so there is nothing for them to add the 15% to. We haven't used it in the past but this time it is part of the package.

Many people just hand their favorite bartender cash at the end of the cruise.

How do you determine how much to tip the bar staff when you have the All Inclusive drink package or is it already included? You aren't paying each time so there is nothing for them to add the 15% to. We haven't used it in the past but this time it is part of the package.

The 15% tip is included.

Boycott the auto daily gratuity charge ( must OPT out ) until Princess gives a

transparent definitive answer to EXACTLY who all is included and at what %/$

amount.

and I have never, ever done that, but am NOT a fan of tipping based on an amount,

such as 15% on a single beer, v 15% on a bucket of beer...if no tip was auto, I would tip a $1 on a single beer, and prolly the same amount on the bucket, for the xxtra 30 seconds it takes them to do that

I really prefer the auto gratuity over the previous process. As far as knowing who gets the money and how much - that is a Princess problem, one I refuse to worry about once I pay that auto gratuity.

I really prefer the auto gratuity over the previous process. As far as knowing who gets the money and how much - that is a Princess problem, one I refuse to worry about once I pay that auto gratuity.

Me too. Let's face it, the whole tipping process is essentially a supplement of wages, so we opt for the auto-tip and let the tips fall where they may. Just playing the game...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app