WesW

Jan 2020 15 day Antarctica Silver Cloud voyage including South Georgia Islands

Today Silversea posted a new/unique 15 day Cloud expedition voyage that includes Antarctica and South Georgia Islands.

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/antarctica-cruise/ushuaia-to-ushuaia-1001.html

This voyage does not go to the Falklands unlike the other 18 day Antarctica voyages on the Cloud and Explorer.

Most likely this voyage will sell out fast--am hoping the pricing is correct but believe they did not change pricing from the old Jan 4, 2020 ten day USH to USH voyage--so u might see each suite class go up by at least $5000.

We’re booked too (at this outstanding price point). Look forward to sharing Antarctica with George and you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I seems to b a good deal for a couple - the same price as the 10-day cruises - but the is no 25% single supplement.

I seems to b a good deal for a couple - the same price as the 10-day cruises - but the is no 25% single supplement.
Bill,

SS told me today the single supplement was just 25%. Vista suite was just under $13K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be. No way they would keep the price the same at the 10-day voyage...must have been some kind of a glitch. It was wide open yesterday.

We had considered it, but given the frigid temps here, we have decided to do the Galapagos expedition instead. Any recommendations on time of year to go there?

Just had my TA call about this.

Quote: "I'm on with Silversea, seems 2020 sailings have not been officially released and should not have been on the website, they were taken off last night.* Prices for 2020 sailings not available yet.* She did not have a date for the release but if I see anything I'll let you know."

Who actually booked this? And I wonder what will happen now if it was a mistake?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I booked it on December 7th in anticipation of the change. They have updated the prices since yesterday. I'm in a Vista which was $15,000 when I booked as a single, now it's pricing at $20,375.

JP, we booked yesterday, have our invoice with Venetian savings applied. Only missing item was the air—our TA said they do not have rates for 2020 yet. Interesting that our credit card has not been charged...like Victoria/Emtsbam suggests above believe new prices will be displayed soon. Doubt that we will get the rate we booked at but will press hard to try to get this rate through our TA/TA’s owner.

My TA called back and spoke to a supervisor. She was able to get a booking but the lowest suite is 16000 now, not the lower price which was there yesterday.

Yes, just like Mark Conroy told me a week ago--this voyage is selling out; sorry to hear the cheapest suite is now $16K

Feel very, very fortunate--just spoke with our superstar TA and we are getting the

$10,800 fare price with venetian savings about $10,260 (she just made our deposit).

So, we were able to book 15 days on the Cloud expedition in Antarctica for the price of 10 days--amazing.

Yes, just like Mark Conroy told me a week ago--this voyage is selling out; sorry to hear the cheapest suite is now $16K

Feel very, very fortunate--just spoke with our superstar TA and we are getting the

$10,800 fare price with venetian savings about $10,260 (she just made our deposit).

So, we were able to book 15 days on the Cloud expedition in Antarctica for the price of 10 days--amazing.

Way to go Wes! That's why we LOVE our travel agent. :)

Thanks Carol, yes our TA (and Stumblefoot's) did super work.

JP, Stumblefoot (Brian, Amy and Taylor), RachelG (Rachel & George) and Ida and I dearly hope Chris and you book this one of a kind Antarctica voyage. Please join us!

Edited by WesW

We had considered it, but given the frigid temps here, we have decided to do the Galapagos expedition instead. Any recommendations on time of year to go there?

Really anytime is fine. We have been there in June and in November. Weather was slightly warmer in June, but either is fine. And if you are hiking, you really don’t want hot weather.

I booked it on December 7th in anticipation of the change. They have updated the prices since yesterday. I'm in a Vista which was $15,000 when I booked as a single, now it's pricing at $20,375.
Holy cow, that means the base fare based on double occupancy moved from $12,000 to $16,300 overnight, costing a couple an incremental $8,600. Ouch! So much for those 18 - 20 new Expedition Ships sailing in 2020 impacting prices.

Congratulations on snagging a great fare TheCleave!

Was the 'old' ($10,800 pp) fare a mistake?

I've seen Princess make mistakes... and people 'jump on' to book... only to get upset and claim to have booked non-refundable air tickets & hotels etc. only to find out Princess will not honor the $132 pp fare for a 10-day cruise.

Was the 'old' ($10,800 pp) fare a mistake?

I'm pretty sure it was. That is the same price they're charging for the 10 day trip. The new and improved price results in a per diem rate that matches up better with their other sailings, given that this voyage is 5d longer.

Definitely not sure if I will get my original fare. At that point I will have to decide whether the increase is worthwhile - although I do love South Georgia and cruising the Lemaire Channel.

Beautiful! And we put the deposit down yesterday for this January 2020 voyage. :D
Pumped to learn that you have booked #1001 JPAlbny!

Yes! What a cool itinerary. And a chance to revisit our first SS destination, ten years and a month after our first trip.

I'm most likely not going to prepay. For me, the savings is not worth paying 20 months early. We did it for our last Explorer cruise, but that was only 12 months early.

Has anybody else checked the fare recently? The vista suites are now listed at $18,700!! :eek:

Makes my fare look like a bargain!

Has anybody else checked the fare recently? The vista suites are now listed at $18,700!! :eek:
That is a $4,800 increase per couple (+14.7%) since I checked on Dec 29 the day after the early booking bonus period ended.

Looking online today the Vista suites are now sold out and waitlisted. I gotta tell you, Col. Wes saved us a [emoji571]*♀️ boatload of cash.

Folks, as crazy as it might seem to book a cruise 2-years in advance, if you’ve ever dreamed of visiting South Georgia, I wouldn’t wait to place a deposit and secure your cabin as prices have increased across all cabin categories. The Classic Verandah went up +$6K (now $46,600/couple) and the Silver Suites +$11.8K (now $89,800/couple).

JP, no that means Brian is :)

Seriously, hope y'all have a terrific Antarctica experience on the Cloud.

We reluctantly cancelled our booking a few days after booking.

Folks, as crazy as it might seem to book a cruise 2-years in advance, if you’ve ever dreamed of visiting South Georgia, I wouldn’t wait to place a deposit and secure your cabin as prices have increased across all cabin categories. The Classic Verandah went up +$6K (now $46,600/couple) and the Silver Suites +$11.8K (now $89,800/couple).

Or, the Ushuaia to Cape Town, 21-night re-positioning on March 7, 2019 with five days at South Georgia still has Vista Suites at $9900 pp.

Or, the Ushuaia to Cape Town, 21-night re-positioning on March 7, 2019 with five days at South Georgia still has Vista Suites at $9900 pp.
Yes, but you don't get Antarctica with that voyage.

Does that mean Wes is buying the drinks all cruise long? :cool:

I got you covered JP. :D

Yes, but you don't get Antarctica with that voyage.

True... but I've been to Antarctica and South Georgia is the main reason I booked.

Seriously, hope y'all have a terrific Antarctica experience on the Cloud.

We reluctantly cancelled our booking a few days after booking.

That's sad news, Wes! Chris and I were looking forward to finally meeting you and Ida.

Did I read on another thread that you canceled this so you could do an Australia cruise? There are so many neat itineraries out there. It really leads to some tough choices.

True... but I've been to Antarctica and South Georgia is the main reason I booked.

Speaking of tough choices!

I think the voyages are pretty different, so it's definitely a matter of personal preference. I've looked at that Cape to Cape voyage for years now. It looks fantastic, but I get antsy about that many sea days. Plus it's still too long of a voyage (21 days) for us to get away.

The standard SS itinerary to South Georgia is 18 days because it adds the Falklands. That's almost an impossibility for us to be away that long, as we both still work.

This 15-day cruise is pushing it but can be done with advance planning. I'll gladly trade the Falklands for another visit to Antarctica. I think between the potential differences in weather, the differences in season, and the fact that 10 years will have passed since our last visit, it will be different enough to justify another visit. And even if it's the same, it's magnificent.

So, both amazing voyages, but I personally like this one better. :)