Everything.. Norwegian Aura? Norwegian Marvel?

FreestyleNovice

The 4th, and last, Breakaway Plus class ship to be build and setting sail in Q4 2019:

Both Norwegian Aura and Norwegian Marvel have been registered as trademarks in the past year, and the latter happening just a few days ago. Is “Aura” a more Asian-destined ship, and “Marvel” is more inline with Bliss/mass market?

FDR was quoted back in spring 2017 that the ship was destined for China but the premium pricing on the Norwegian Joy had a slightly disappointing last summer.

Who knows.. will NCL tell us more in 2018?

There seems to be an early 2018 event at Meyer Werft, assuming that is the steel cutting we might know more by then..

The 4th, and last, Breakaway Plus class ship to be build and setting sail in Q4 2019:

Both Norwegian Aura and Norwegian Marvel have been registered as trademarks in the past year, and the latter happening just a few days ago. Is “Aura” a more Asian-destined ship, and “Marvel” is more inline with Bliss/mass market?

FDR was quoted back in spring 2017 that the ship was destined for China but the premium pricing on the Norwegian Joy had a slightly disappointing last summer.

Who knows.. will NCL tell us more in 2018?

There seems to be an early 2018 event at Meyer Werft, assuming that is the steel cutting we might know more by then..

Good catch!

If NCL is going to permanently homeport ships in China, and make it a "Fully Immersive Chinese Cruise", I believe they should spin them off into another company dedicated to that market, and not 'include' it into the NCL fleet.

They of course, can move ships between fleets from time to time, usually after a drydocking modification, as CCL and RCI have done with their global fleets....

Also don't forget NCL also ordered 4 new ships that will be somewhere in-between Breakaway and Jewel size ships (just a hair smaller than Breakaway), with an option for two more (project Leonardo) with rollouts starting in 2022...

interesting that they're going smaller for the next class of ships.

maybe retire some of the older ships at that time like sun/dawn/sky/spirit?

You may be correct....it seems cruise lines seem to replace ships when they are about 25 -30 years or so old...give or take depending on various factors....they may part with them sooner if 'handed down' to an affiliated line. or may hold on longer if the ship fulfills a unique market....

i think port restrictions is a big factor with them designing and building. Not every port wants a 5,000+ passenger ship in port. A mid size ship with only about 2,500-3,000 passengers seems to be ideal size for most ports. Also, the bigger the ship is, the more complicated and longer the tender process goes. This is why some big ship do not tender

If NCL is going to permanently homeport ships in China, and make it a "Fully Immersive Chinese Cruise", I believe they should spin them off into another company dedicated to that market, and not 'include' it into the NCL fleet.

They of course, can move ships between fleets from time to time, usually after a drydocking modification, as CCL and RCI have done with their global fleets....

So,,, what would be the purpose of spending gobs of cash to do this??? Essentially duplicating infrastructure for what? Because a ship flagged In the Bahamas is less accessible to Americans?

The flag of registry really has nothing to do with it....only the NCL Pride of America is US registered, to satisfy legal requirements of the Passenger Vessel Service Act....a whole different matter....

What I am suggesting is that since NCL is going to have two and possibly more ships dedicated to serving the Chinese market, and since I am sure that they already have an 'infrastructure' of sorts set up there for marketing and operational purposes, and since they almost 'discourage' non-Chinese passenger's from booking those ships, with the "immersive" wording in the disclaimer, therefore, I think it would make it clearer to the target market, as well as those not in that market, if it were a 'different' line, regardless of ownership....

Examples...Carnival Corp. owns AIDA in Germany, and Costa in Italy and Europe

Royal Caribbean Cruises owns Pullmantur in Spain, TUI in Germany, and CDF Crosieres de France

Even NCL Holding separates NCL Cruise Line from Oceania and Regent Seven Seas, currently...

In NCL's past they were under common (Genting) ownership with Star Cruises and Orient Lines.

And even though these examples are separate operations, they do share top level infrastructure advantages, like executives, finance, purchasing, human resources, and more....

The flag of registry really has nothing to do with it....only the NCL Pride of America is US registered, to satisfy legal requirements of the Passenger Vessel Service Act....a whole different matter....

What I am suggesting is that since NCL is going to have two and possibly more ships dedicated to serving the Chinese market, and since I am sure that they already have an 'infrastructure' of sorts set up there for marketing and operational purposes, and since they almost 'discourage' non-Chinese passenger's from booking those ships, with the "immersive" wording in the disclaimer, therefore, I think it would make it clearer to the target market, as well as those not in that market, if it were a 'different' line, regardless of ownership....

Examples...Carnival Corp. owns AIDA in Germany, and Costa in Italy and Europe

Royal Caribbean Cruises owns Pullmantur in Spain, TUI in Germany, and CDF Crosieres de France

Even NCL Holding separates NCL Cruise Line from Oceania and Regent Seven Seas, currently...

In NCL's past they were under common (Genting) ownership with Star Cruises and Orient Lines.

And even though these examples are separate operations, they do share top level infrastructure advantages, like executives, finance, purchasing, human resources, and more....

There is almost something to the idea of NCL being an American brand that appeals from a marketing angle to the Chinese nationals cruising on the Joy and other ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think port restrictions is a big factor with them designing and building. Not every port wants a 5,000+ passenger ship in port. A mid size ship with only about 2,500-3,000 passengers seems to be ideal size for most ports. Also, the bigger the ship is, the more complicated and longer the tender process goes. This is why some big ship do not tender

Not sure this is right.

Although the Sun and the star are due to be replaced based on age and cost of running by 2022.

The industry is getting competitive and the big ships have great economies of scale compared to the Jewel class, They are going to be a touch smaller than BA but still 4000 plus passengers.

There is also going to be consolidation in the market place as out of season prices are falling (just look at the deals its not arguable) across all lines and if we get a spike in fuel prices life is going to be become difficult for the cruise lines.

Further read NCL published accounts and the risks - availability of senior crew. Major issue for all lines and if you need proof that this is an issue look at Ryanair in the UK and lack of pilots. Yes its a different industry but still these is a shortage of top crew across the fleets, Look at the NCL recruitment pages Even HD level

The reason would appear to be that they are finding the yields from bigger ships falling and the ability to fill (which they do) the ships is costing more,. Cost of each passenger/booking is a well used KPI in the industry.

I do not expect all (if any) to agree with me as only time will tell. However he cruise market MUST peak at some point and it is a bit like pass the parcel no one wants to have the biggest ships in a downward market. Oh and by the way I do think the Asian and Arabian market do have plenty to go but Australia ???

I do not expect all (if any) to agree with me as only time will tell. However he cruise market MUST peak at some point and it is a bit like pass the parcel no one wants to have the biggest ships in a downward market. Oh and by the way I do think the Asian and Arabian market do have plenty to go but Australia ???

IMO, every cruise line is trying to carve their own niche. RCCL has the biggest and continues to go slightly larger with the Oasis Class. They are building more of them after Symphony OTS. Everyone else has had plenty of time to go bigger than Oasis but none have. Many more 200K GT ships are on the way for other lines (and RCCL) but NCL doesn't want to play that game.

Again, IMO FDR wants Leonardo to be a bridge between NCL and Oceania. He wants NCL guests to "move up" to the Haven (bid program helps to lure people in) then NCL Haven guests will "move up" to Oceania...then move up to Regent Seven Seas. With Haven prices continuing to climb, those who want luxury without the "fun" might be drawn to Project Leonardo or Oceania. I don't expect Leonardo to have go karts or some of the other fun stuff like the BA/BA Plus class....but I hope that I'm wrong about that.;)

IMO, every cruise line is trying to carve their own niche. RCCL has the biggest and continues to go slightly larger with the Oasis Class. They are building more of them after Symphony OTS. Everyone else has had plenty of time to go bigger than Oasis but none have. Many more 200K GT ships are on the way for other lines (and RCCL) but NCL doesn't want to play that game.

Again, IMO FDR wants Leonardo to be a bridge between NCL and Oceania. He wants NCL guests to "move up" to the Haven (bid program helps to lure people in) then NCL Haven guests will "move up" to Oceania...then move up to Regent Seven Seas. With Haven prices continuing to climb, those who want luxury without the "fun" might be drawn to Project Leonardo or Oceania. I don't expect Leonardo to have go karts or some of the other fun stuff like the BA/BA Plus class....but I hope that I'm wrong about that.;)

Agreed on your second paragraph

If FDR wants to "build a bridge" between NCL and the upscale divisions, he could start by offering some reciprocity in the loyalty programs, like RCCL does with Celebrity and Azamara....

I believe that would motivate a pretty good share of customer's to sample the other lines

If FDR wants to "build a bridge" between NCL and the upscale divisions, he could start by offering some reciprocity in the loyalty programs, like RCCL does with Celebrity and Azamara....

I believe that would motivate a pretty good share of customer's to sample the other lines

If FDR has been paying attention to what MSC has done with status match and how it has motivated people who were otherwise loyal to a different line to try MSC, Oceania should match NCL status just as you stated.

Stay tuned.....

The reason would appear to be that they are finding the yields from bigger ships falling and the ability to fill (which they do) the ships is costing more,. Cost of each passenger/booking is a well used KPI in the industry.

I wondered about this when the Project Leonardo was announced. You can look at the staff / passenger ratio on the larger ships vs. the Jewel class to see the economies of scale involved with a larger ship, but there are a lot of other cost factors to consider. A 1% difference in capacity can make a huge difference in the bottom line of that particular cruise.