Celebrity Alcohol Waiver Policy

carolynes

I received the Celebrity Alcohol Waiver form from my Travel Agent for our upcoming cruise embarking from Florida. My daughter will be legal drinking age where we live, but not in the US. Will she be able to enjoy a drink or two? When I was on Norwegian last year, there were signs posted saying that those between the ages of 18 and 20 could drink with parental permission. Does Celebrity have the same policy for cruises leaving from the US?

Since you are leaving from the US, the drinking age for your cruise will be 21.

Q.What is Celebrity's Alcohol Policy?

A.The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from North America is 21. The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18. In certain circumstances where local laws permit or require, Celebrity Cruises may modify this policy which may also require parent/guardian request/authorization. Guests may contact Guest Relations or refer to Celebrity Today for specific minimum drinking age information on their cruise vacation.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon boarding at the beginning of the cruise vacation. If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise vacation, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Relations Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the vacation. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Relations to present a valid government-issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time while onboard. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations. Any guest who goes ashore and consumes alcohol (whether under the supervision of a parent/guardian or not, is responsible for ensuring they consume responsibly and retain their ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations when they return to the ship. Parents/guardians are reminded they are responsible for the actions of their child/young adult at all times while on a Celebrity Cruises cruise vacation.

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding or while onboard; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy.

We had that same issue. We went with one of our friends who was 19 which is legal here in Canada but was not eligible to have a drink package while on board. What we did was just order a drink that she was interested ourselves and when the bartender left, we would simply give her the drink.

I do not know if the same rule applies to Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. My experience:

During the cruises in which my children were minors and traveled with us, their cards are marked physically and electronically, but during the dinners it is enough to mention to the waiter that they can serve the young people the wine that was ordered.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Bon Voyage

I received the Celebrity Alcohol Waiver form from my Travel Agent for our upcoming cruise embarking from Florida. My daughter will be legal drinking age where we live, but not in the US. Will she be able to enjoy a drink or two? When I was on Norwegian last year, there were signs posted saying that those between the ages of 18 and 20 could drink with parental permission. Does Celebrity have the same policy for cruises leaving from the US?

Since your cruise is leaving from Florida and she isn't 21 years old she will not be able to drink alcohol while on the ship.

Edited by davekathy

I do not know if the same rule applies to Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. My experience:

During the cruises in which my children were minors and traveled with us, their cards are marked physically and electronically, but during the dinners it is enough to mention to the waiter that they can serve the young people the wine that was ordered.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Bon Voyage

My kids have ordered beer and wine on cruises since they were mid-teens and I've never had a waiter question them about age. Occasionally the waiter would look at me for the ok and a nod from me was all that was required. We typically order bottles of wine at dinner and the kids drank that too without any issues. They are always with us and it always went on my card. From my experience, as long as the parent is there they will serve the drink.

We had that same issue. We went with one of our friends who was 19 which is legal here in Canada but was not eligible to have a drink package while on board. What we did was just order a drink that she was interested ourselves and when the bartender left, we would simply give her the drink.

Nothing like sending a message to young adults that it is okay to break the law and rules as long as in your judgment it is okay to do so.

My kids have ordered beer and wine on cruises since they were mid-teens and I've never had a waiter question them about age. Occasionally the waiter would look at me for the ok and a nod from me was all that was required. We typically order bottles of wine at dinner and the kids drank that too without any issues. They are always with us and it always went on my card. From my experience, as long as the parent is there they will serve the drink.

So...you allow your teens to drink beer and wine? If you were to do so in your home in the US, you would be criminally liable, and you would be civilly liable for any damage to persons or property that harmed while intoxicated.

You knew, I'm sure, that you were chancing having the beverage package revoked with no refund?

"Sharing" a beverage package is not allowed. Not to mention violating the age restriction.

You are so right, and I sincerely wish this had happened. It is absolutely wrong under any circumstances to allow an alcoholic drink to be served to anyone underage. There are no circumstance under which this is an acceptable thing to do. If it were I in change, anyone caught doing so would be let off at the next port.

So...you allow your teens to drink beer and wine? If you were to do so in your home in the US, you would be criminally liable, and you would be civilly liable for any damage to persons or property that harmed while intoxicated.

Fish Lover your answer is incorrect in most states. This does vary state to state but most states in the USA allow parents to serve their own children alcoholic beverages at home when at least one parent is present. Some states also allow minor children to be served at establishments, such as bars and restaurants, as long as a consenting parent is present.

If you don't believe me then try an internet search on the subject.

Yes I did and guess what, they all grew up to be successful adults with great jobs! Well technically one is still in school studying to be a doctor. But still call that a success. So you can be an uptight do-gooder if you wish but please keep your opinions of other peoples parenting techniques to yourself. Not all of the world is so uptight about having a glass of wine with dinner.

You are so right, and I sincerely wish this had happened. It is absolutely wrong under any circumstances to allow an alcoholic drink to be served to anyone underage. There are no circumstance under which this is an acceptable thing to do. If it were I in change, anyone caught doing so would be let off at the next port.

Just different laws for different countries. In some provinces of Canada its perfectly legal for an 18 year old to drink. As long as the individual uses discretion and is responsible, there shouldn't be a problem.

Yes I did and guess what, they all grew up to be successful adults with great jobs! Well technically one is still in school studying to be a doctor. But still call that a success. So you can be an uptight do-gooder if you wish but please keep your opinions of other peoples parenting techniques to yourself. Not all of the world is so uptight about having a glass of wine with dinner.

I completely agree with you. My parents let me sip wine and beer when i was a teenager. If anything, it just made me drink less as a young adult because the novelty was not there and I did not see the need to overindulge.

My daughter will be a month shy of 21 on our next cruise and would have a glass of prosecco with me at the bar if she could. If she is with me and I give the go-ahead they can serve her. We plan on bringing our allowed bottles on board and it is OK by me that she pours a glass for herself and carries to the show.

I don't understand the forbidden views on responsible alcohol use, but your family is your decision and my family is mine. And if she orders a glass with me and they say no, then they say no. Not going to make or break the vacation either way.

Just different laws for different countries. In some provinces of Canada its perfectly legal for an 18 year old to drink. As long as the individual uses discretion and is responsible, there shouldn't be a problem.

Sharing your Beverage Package knowing it is against Celebrity's BP policy (no matter the age) along with allowing a minor to consume alcohol while aboard a Celebrity ship is the issue. This has absolutely nothing to do with where your from!. That no longer applies. What you do and allow in your own home, I get it. :cool: Why didn't you let her belly up to the bar and order her own drink. Possibly the bar tender would have served her the drink as others have posted that has been their experience.

Edited by davekathy

Perhaps the do-gooder would really prefer the underage perp immediately be thrown overboard without a life preserver for breaking the rules instead of waiting to be put off at the next port. After all their opinion is all that matters across the entire world.

Perhaps the do-gooder would really prefer the underage perp immediately be thrown overboard without a life preserver for breaking the rules instead of waiting to be put off at the next port. After all their opinion is all that matters across the entire world.

The do-gooder might have a heart attack if they knew anything about age restrictions outside of their own little world. In Barbados a 10 year old can consume booze lawfully if accompanied by a parent or guardian. Perhaps she should go visit and teach them the error of their ways....

In some European countries you can buy and consume beer and wine aged 16 but need to be 18 to purchase distilled alcohol.

Fish Lover your answer is incorrect in most states. This does vary state to state but most states in the USA allow parents to serve their own children alcoholic beverages at home when at least one parent is present. Some states also allow minor children to be served at establishments, such as bars and restaurants, as long as a consenting parent is present.

Utterly untrue. The internet is not a great place to obtain legal counsel.

Depending upon the circumstances a parent or other adult who knowingly allows a minor to drink can be held criminally liable for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, child abuse, child neglect, and other more specific ,local and state criminal ordinances and statutes. This can also be extended to negligent homicide if the minor is served by a social host (similar to dram laws for commercial establishments). Civil liability would most likely fall under negligent supervision of a minor, and negligence regarding any property or person damage done by the minor. It is also not unusual for people to be found guilty both criminally and civilly. Especially when the adults involved have assets. Personally, I think they should be thrown in jail and stripped of substantial assets, in addition to having their kids removed.

1st. Maybe I missed it by why are people discussing sharing the beverage program. The OP didn’t say anything about having a beverage package or sharing it.

2nd. Some states (mine included) absolutely allow a parent to serve their child alcohol or have it served to them in a restaurant with their permission.

3rd. Clearly the person being discussed is an adult, not a minor, since they are asking about the policy for ages 18-20. So saying anything about child abuse or being held liable for a minors actions is irrelevant

4th. In a majority of the world, people can drink at 18 or even younger. Pretty sure those countries still produce healthy and productive citizens. A 20 year old having a glass of wine with the parents permission is not that big a deal

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was about to say the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The 20 year old cannot buy alcohol using his/her SeaPass card, so in order to get a drink the adult must buy it for him/her and that is the sharing issue, that’s where the discussion about the prohibition against sharing comes from.

You are telling me that if I want to buy a friend a drink on my card I can’t? No package, just outright paying for a drink. It’s not a ‘sharing’ issue unless you have the beverage package and are using it to give drinks to someone who doesn’t. Now buying alcohol for a minor is a totally different issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums