Do you bring any of your own food/drink/spices to enhance your dining while onboard?

Epicureangirl

Hi! My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in July & I'm so excited!!! We eat a pretty healthy high protein, low carb diet. So we plan to bring the stuff we snack on at home: Quest bars, nuts, rice cakes, jerky. I drink alot of hot tea, so will be bringing tea bags & splenda. Oh and we will be bringing our flavored drink packets for the water we've ordered for the cabin as we don't drink soda. Lastly, we are definitely wine drinkers...so will be bringing on 2 bottles and receiving a free bottle from the steakhouse!

Thank you for reminding me to bring my Splenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in July & I'm so excited!!! We eat a pretty healthy high protein, low carb diet. So we plan to bring the stuff we snack on at home: Quest bars, nuts, rice cakes, jerky. I drink alot of hot tea, so will be bringing tea bags & splenda. Oh and we will be bringing our flavored drink packets for the water we've ordered for the cabin as we don't drink soda. Lastly, we are definitely wine drinkers...so will be bringing on 2 bottles and receiving a free bottle from the steakhouse!

Fantastic — there are lots of low carb options so you won’t be hungry. I read that several cruise lines even gave low carb menus in the dining room — you may want to ask your server on the first night. They may also be able to help you with substituting the high carb veggies 🥔for something green. 🥗Enjoy your cruise!

Yes. I will be bring my Nutritional Yeast and special things I can eat that do not have salt or oils. I’m Plant Based not Vegan or Vegetarian and finding food with taste just don’t happen on the ship. We love to cruise and we usually eat in Coastal Kitchen where they are very accommodating. I also pack my own coffee.

Some say why I bring my own products my response so I can totally enjoy the experience instead of some who complain about the food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. I will be bring my Nutritional Yeast and special things I can eat that do not have salt or oils. I’m Plant Based not Vegan or Vegetarian and finding food with taste just don’t happen on the ship. We love to cruise and we usually eat in Coastal Kitchen where they are very accommodating. I also pack my own coffee.

Some say why I bring my own products my response so I can totally enjoy the experience instead of some who complain about the food.

I don’t know if it meets your dietary goals, but I am a huge fan of some of the salt-free Penzey’s spice mixes. Good quality spices make such a huge improvement. ❤️

Is Coastal Kitchen a speciality restaurant on one of the cruise lines you go on? Good response btw!

I wonder if I could bring sealed packs of tofu on with me? I heard they don’t have it on the ships. ❤️ Tofu.

Do you eat it raw? Or would you add it to other dishes?

I know some lines have an Asian breakfast station — but I think that just has congee, but I’ve never been tempted to see if there is anything else offered. I love eggs benny too much to notice the other options.

I would like to bring my creamer on board. So as a first time cruiser I ask... should I have it in my carry on or in luggage is ok? Going on Royal in May.

The only advice I got (about taking maple syrup onboard), is to have it in a sealed (unopened) container, and that they would likely not allow it back off the ship once opened.

I don't know if they enforce this, or if it depends on the item and the port you are sailing to/from, but I am erring on the side of caution and bringing a size I think I can finish while onboard. I would put it in which ever luggage piece you feel comfortable having it in, that you feel it is safe from being punctured. It would be terrible to have creamer all over your packed clothing.:eek:

Edited by Epicureangirl
typo

I would like to bring my creamer on board. So as a first time cruiser I ask... should I have it in my carry on or in luggage is ok? Going on Royal in May.

I am bringing my international French Vanilla with me but instead of the large container that I normally use that is refrigerated they have it in packets so I’m going to put those in a Ziploc bag and put it in my luggage. The reason I’m not putting it in my carryall is I don’t know that the airline would allow me to bring that on the plane.

I am bringing my international French Vanilla with me but instead of the large container that I normally use that is refrigerated they have it in packets so I’m going to put those in a Ziploc bag and put it in my luggage. The reason I’m not putting it in my carryall is I don’t know that the airline would allow me to bring that on the plane.

If it is a US flight, and each packet is under 100ml/3.4oz there should be no problem. Just make sure you put it in your clear zip loc bag and present it with the rest of your liquids/cosmetics etc.

Thanks for the thread! I'll be bringing agave syrup in straws ( from amazon) for my coffee habit! Lower glycemic index than regular sugar...some bars may have agave syrup for a gourmet sweetner option...there was a Connie Martini Bar -tender from Turkey who was thrilled to know exactly what I wanted!

I also like pistachios, almonds and dried apricots as a snack for the room and pool...

Edited by ChinchillaGrl
mispelled

Thanks for the thread! I'll be bringing agave syrup in straws ( from amazon) for my coffee habit! Lower glycemic index than regular sugar...some bars may have agave syrup for a gourmet sweetner option...there was a Connie Martini Bar -tender from Turkey who was thrilled to know exactly what I wanted!

I also like pistachios, almonds and dried apricots as a snack for the room and pool...

Thanks for your post! I have never tried agave syrup (though I have had things that have it in it). I used to have Sweet 'n' Low for my coffee habit but then consciously took that out of my diet, and have my coffee black now. However, that is really, really hard when you are used to sweetness in your coffee -- maybe agave syrup would have been the ticket! I tried to transition to Stevia, and just couldn't do it!

Thanks we will be driving to port but that's great to know! I'm glad I read this as a reminder to add to my packing list. While I defintally could live without it, vacation is better with it.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

I leave tomorrow and am partially packed. I have a selection of teas, maple syrup and truffle oil. I am bringing 4 bottles of wine and paying corkage. I didn’t manage to buy the coffee press for this trip but might grab some via packets from Starbucks. Not sure if I should take the Himalayan salt. It’s so pretty it wants to be noticed, and I just want to discreetly season my food. [emoji23] Keep your ideas coming and I will report back if any of this was worth the luggage space!

I leave tomorrow and am partially packed. I have a selection of teas, maple syrup and truffle oil. I am bringing 4 bottles of wine and paying corkage. I didn’t manage to buy the coffee press for this trip but might grab some via packets from Starbucks. Not sure if I should take the Himalayan salt. It’s so pretty it wants to be noticed, and I just want to discreetly season my food. [emoji23] Keep your ideas coming and I will report back if any of this was worth the luggage space!

Why be discreet. I take my own spices (vegan) and I put them right on the table. On some cruises the wait staff has offered to keep some of my supplies for me. Like Agava Pure Maple Syrup. Be proud of your taste buds. They like vacation too. Don’t forget to try something new

Why be discreet. I take my own spices (vegan) and I put them right on the table. On some cruises the wait staff has offered to keep some of my supplies for me. Like Agava Pure Maple Syrup. Be proud of your taste buds. They like vacation too. Don’t forget to try something new

Thanks, Chrome Diva, Wow — very nice of the waitstaff to take care of you so well. I will definitely be trying something new. I seek it out at every opportunity. 👍 The plan is to eat my way through 5 Asian countries (to the best of my abilities). Tracking down local street foods, regional specialties and doing some food-tours with guides too. I just don’t want to have pancake syrup, iodized salt and low-quality tea on the ship when I can bring superior alternative that are easy to pack.

Thanks, Chrome Diva, Wow — very nice of the waitstaff to take care of you so well. I will definitely be trying something new. I seek it out at every opportunity. [emoji106] The plan is to eat my way through 5 Asian countries (to the best of my abilities). Tracking down local street foods, regional specialties and doing some food-tours with guides too. I just don’t want to have pancake syrup, iodized salt and low-quality tea on the ship when I can bring superior alternative that are easy to pack.

I know that it’s been discussed but I bring my own coffee reg and decaf because the ships coffee ️ is not appealing to me. I just order a hot water and everyone is happy.