Live: Emerald Princess - South America including Machu Picchu Explorer Land Tour

bassmaster150

THis morning we will be cruising the Amalia Glacier.....weather has been not the best.....lots of rain and cloud cover as we move further south....but as with everything, you make the most of what you get and enjoy the scenery. I believe that we will get quite close to the glacier so we are looking forward to that, and then off to Punta Arenas tomorrow and Torres del Paine for our Christmas trip!!!

Thanks so much--we are doing this in March (except it is the 2 day version). Did you take any pills or anything for altitude sickness? How strenuous is it?

We took a land Package to amazon, Galapagos and Machu Picchu . I checked with my Dr. before going about high altitude meds and I could not take them because I was taking a Water pill. I did get sick while in Cusco, a real bad headache all night but went away once we headed down to Machu Picchu.

Will be doing the San Antonio ( originally Valparaiso) to Buenos Aires cruise on Emerald Princess mid January.

Looking forward to reading of your experience and any tips you might have.

As we fly in from GB (with 23 kg hold luggage allowance) especially interested in clothing and footwear we might need to pack,

Many thanks

We took a land Package to amazon, Galapagos and Machu Picchu . I checked with my Dr. before going about high altitude meds and I could not take them because I was taking a Water pill. I did get sick while in Cusco, a real bad headache all night but went away once we headed down to Machu Picchu.

Your headache was from oxygen deprivation - like a 'hangover headache'. If you had asked the hotel for oxygen your headache would probably have eased.

It’s as easy or as strenuous as you want it to be. They take you through the side in the late morning and then you go get lunch outside of the park. Then you go back in and up a little higher for the “National Geographic” views. Once you are doing me with that, you get free time to do whatever. My wife and I made it super strenuous as we decided to hike to the Inca bridge (not for the faint of heart as you are way up high on a narrow trail....but the views are spectacular), then we turned around and hiked back to Machu Picchu and then 3/4 of the way up to The Sun Gate on the Inca trail that leads into the park....that was hard....but the view was worth it...and remember, no matter how tired you are, go back up in the early morning...you will be glad you did as you watch the clouds rise up from the valley into the park

Thank you! We are very excited to do this. It has been on the bucket list for very long time :)

Will be doing the San Antonio ( originally Valparaiso) to Buenos Aires cruise on Emerald Princess mid January.

Looking forward to reading of your experience and any tips you might have.

As we fly in from GB (with 23 kg hold luggage allowance) especially interested in clothing and footwear we might need to pack,

Many thanks

Santiago = hot

Southern Chile (Puerto Mott) = mild unless you go up the volcano....then cold

Extreme Southern Chile (Punta Arenas, Tierra del Fuego, Ushuaia) = Cold...bring a very good jacket, gloves, and winter hat. High tomorrow in Punta Arenas is expected to be 6 degrees C

Buenos Aires / Montevideo = hot (35 degrees C)

We are headed to Punta Arenas right now, and if I step on my balcony, it is quite cold.

By the way, the sea conditions so far in the pen ocean have been quite rough.....very large swells (7.5 - 12 ft) have been rocking the boat when we are out in the open ocean. We are now safely in part of the Magellan Straight, and the sea is calm. We are expecting very rough seas around Cape Horn, but we were expecting that. If you are on an upcoming cruise down here, you may want to bring some dramimine or other motion sickness thingy.

Thanks for the information. We have already did the sailing from Santiago (Valparaiso) to Buenos Aires. The cruise around the southern most point (an island) was very calm and unusual so hope you have the same. Many ships of days gone by have not made it around the horn safely. So now we are first on a land trip to Machu Picchu before boarding the Emerald for a cruise ending in LA. This will complete our last leg having already cruised from Port Everglades to BA and Santiago to BA. I hope the rest of your voyage is great and your visit to the Falkens to see the emperor penguins is fruitful.

Thanks for the information. We have already did the sailing from Santiago (Valparaiso) to Buenos Aires. The cruise around the southern most point (an island) was very calm and unusual so hope you have the same. Many ships of days gone by have not made it around the horn safely. So now we are first on a land trip to Machu Picchu before boarding the Emerald for a cruise ending in LA. This will complete our last leg having already cruised from Port Everglades to BA and Santiago to BA. I hope the rest of your voyage is great and your visit to the Falkens to see the emperor penguins is fruitful.

I have just returned from an expedition to the Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica. There aren't any emperor penguins in the Falklands. They have gentoo, rockhopper, magellanic, macaroni and some king penguins. :) Emperor penguins are found on the main part of the Antarctic continent.

We went to Torres del Paine today. Amazing scenery. Parts of the mountain were covered in clouds, but once we went around the corner to the hanging glacier part....WOAH. Now we didn't enjoy the Otter Twin airplane ride to the gateway city, and I hope I never ever go on one of those planes again. :-)

Bassmaster, Thanks for your reports. We've done this itinerary twice, once with the Machu Picchu tour after the cruise. We really enjoyed the entire trip and think Princess does a great job with their cruise tours.

We have friends who are on this cruise with you. I've been trying to follow their trip on the Emerald Bridge Cam, but unfortunately, it seems to be stuck on December 24.

I hope you are able to tender into the Falkland Islands. We missed it the first time, but made it the second. The penguins are wonderful and we really enjoyed our all day tour with Patrick Watts.

Continue to have a wonderful cruise and I'll be watching for more posts from you. Thank you so much for taking the time.

We arrived from Cusco at the bottom of MP for lunch. We then spent the afternoon and early evening at the site. It was pretty empty since most tours arrive mid morning and leave mid afternoon. We got up early the next morning to see sunrise over MP. It was amazing. We came down about noon, had lunch and started the trip back to Cusco.

Hey Paul - we're on the same Princess trip (Peru land then cruise Santiago to BA) in Feb.. just wondering about local currency - how much Peruvian $ would you say we need for the few non-included meals/beverages, extra tips, some little souvenirs? (and anything else i forgot we'd need cash for, lol)

bassmaster: I will be o the same cruise Feb. 14 and am interested in your impressions of the ports.

What did you do at Puerto Montt? What did you think about your activity?

Puerto Montt was ok....we went up the volcano, but it was foggy, cold, and snowing. We were not able to see much. For us it was one of those ports that if we missed we would be ok....however, as you move further down, the scenery gets way more dramatic and exciting. Ushuaia is about as close to sailing the fjords of Norway as you can get. Absolutely spectacular.

IMPORTANT NOTE - REALLY IMPORTANT.....at some point during this cruise around Ushuaia, you will cruise the Beagle Channel in the morning (Santiago to BA), or maybe evening (BA to Santiago). DO NOT MISS THIS!!!! It was not really announced but if you are on the Santiago to BA sailing, make sure you are on the left side (Port) of the ship, and if you are sailing from BA to Santiago, be in the right side (Starbord) of the ship. You will pass by 3 glaciers...two of which will absolutely blow your mind (especially the cliff hanging one (about 500-800 ft tall hanging on the side of the mountain into the ocean). You get really close and it is amazing!!!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE - REALLY IMPORTANT.....at some point during this cruise around Ushuaia, you will cruise the Beagle Channel in the morning (Santiago to BA), or maybe evening (BA to Santiago). DO NOT MISS THIS!!!! It was not really announced but if you are on the Santiago to BA sailing, make sure you are on the left side (Port) of the ship, and if you are sailing from BA to Santiago, be in the right side (Starbord) of the ship. You will pass by 3 glaciers...two of which will absolutely blow your mind (especially the cliff hanging one (about 500-800 ft tall hanging on the side of the mountain into the ocean). You get really close and it is amazing!!!!!

reading your report with much interest ( we'll board on the 3rd jan) and thanks very much for this very usefull information

Thanks for your tips. We are on the cruise from Buenos Aires from January 31. We have land tours at both ends, so your description of Machu Picchu whetted my appetite for what is to come.

Hey Paul - we're on the same Princess trip (Peru land then cruise Santiago to BA) in Feb.. just wondering about local currency - how much Peruvian $ would you say we need for the few non-included meals/beverages, extra tips, some little souvenirs? (and anything else i forgot we'd need cash for, lol)

The trip I described did not include a Princess cruise. It was a Grand Circle tour of Bolivia & Peru. It included La Paz, Lake Titicaca, Puno, Cuzco, MP, Lima and a 6 day Amazon cruise from Iquitos.