Non-buffet breakfast or lunch dining options on Conquest

notes21

I am going on a New Years Eve cruise on Conquest which I'm incredibly excited about. The only issue is that I am on an oral chemo. My doctors have approved me going, but want me to avoid the buffet. I know I can do continental breakfast through room service in my room for no fee or pay for hot food. Is there a dining room available for breakfast as well? Last time I was on Carnival you could do lunch in a dining room, but thought I read on a thread that it wasn't an option anymore. What non-buffet option(s) would be available for lunch on port or sea days besides room service? Traveling solo & would prefer to not be stuck in my room all the time, but I did get a balcony in case I need to avoid crowds and still want to enjoy the view. Thanks in advance for your help!

I am going on a New Years Eve cruise on Conquest which I'm incredibly excited about. The only issue is that I am on an oral chemo. My doctors have approved me going, but want me to avoid the buffet. I know I can do continental breakfast through room service in my room for no fee or pay for hot food. Is there a dining room available for breakfast as well? Last time I was on Carnival you could do lunch in a dining room, but thought I read on a thread that it wasn't an option anymore. What non-buffet option(s) would be available for lunch on port or sea days besides room service? Traveling solo & would prefer to not be stuck in my room all the time, but I did get a balcony in case I need to avoid crowds and still want to enjoy the view. Thanks in advance for your help!

The MDR is open for breakfast on port days and brunch on sea days. Pro tip -- in sea days, eat breakfast early in the MDR and return at lunchtime to eat there again. Stay strong!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

why? what is the doctor talking about? has he ever been on a Carnival cruise? does he know the buffet selections? I'm sorry but I find the doctors request bizarre. You can find plenty of healthy selections at the buffet. BTW doc, it the same kitchen, cooking the same food, one is served the other is in a buffet,

why? what is the doctor talking about? has he ever been on a Carnival cruise? does he know the buffet selections? I'm sorry but I find the doctors request bizarre. You can find plenty of healthy selections at the buffet. BTW doc, it the same kitchen, cooking the same food, one is served the other is in a buffet,

Sounds like the chemo the OP is taking is reducing the effectiveness of her immune system and the doctor wants to minimize her exposure. I don't it has anything to do with food selection.

Also keep in mind there are "packaged" options you can select from the buffet too. They have several different cold cereal selections as well as cartons of milk available. The Sea day brunch has nice breakfast and lunch options both on it. I love the fire roasted tomato soup and the Eggs Benedict from the menu.

Thank you for the information on what is open. Regarding why to avoid buffets: many chemos (especially mine) make people immuno-compromised so that you are much more likely to get sick than the average person. It is not the food options that are the issue in the buffet but rather the physical aspect of it being a buffet with hundreds of people touching the serving utensils, etc. I'm supposed to avoid buffets on land and meals where everyone brings a covered dish for the same reason. Packaged options from the buffet as someone mentioned or made to order meals mentioned are things I will keep in mind too; thanks for those suggestions as well.

Outside of the MDR, Omlete Station and Blue Iguana for breakfast. Lunch Deli, Pizza, Blue Iguana, and Guys Burgers. Under the circumstances you probably want to avoid the topping bar at guys. Try ordering a ringer which comes with sauce and an onion ring on it. I think that burger does fine without the toppings bar. I'm not sure if they have it for lunch or not but in the buffet they have that one station where the guy cuts brisket or turkey or whatever and serves it to you. You could do that as well.

The buffet tongs had the highest level of bacteria among all items tested on a cruise ship, including handrails, elevator buttons and slot machine buttons.

If one is on chemo, their suseptibility to infections is heightened.

Buffets are a big no no for people on chemo. From germs and bacteria from other people to food temps not always being consistent. I have had several family members who have had to avoid buffets for this reason. While I don't have to worry about it for myself I avoid buffets for these reasons

The hot buffet line has several served things, bacon at breakfast and, carved meat and soup served at lunch and dinner. Also they’ll have pans behind or in back. Ask for those.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for all of the suggestions, and I will check with the special needs department.

In regards to just washing hands, unfortunately washing hands does nothing for inconsistent food temperatures and other things like people's hands touching the actual food, sneezing (& the sneeze guards do not prevent everything), etc. . We'd all love to think that no one ever touches the food without the tongs, etc, but the reality is that I've seen kids and adults do it many times. I know having the food served isn't a guarantee, but it does at least help and follows my oncologists directions. I definitely don't want to have to explain how I got sick b/c I chose to eat at the general buffet anyway, especially since a rather "easy" illness for most people has the possibility of being much more serious for me. I'm very thankful she supports me "living" through travel as much as possible.

I avoid most self serve buffet options simply because I'm a germaphobe and I just got back from two weeks of cruising. For breakfast, I went to the omelette station every day, had the bacon or ham served by staff, and they have packaged cereals and milk. For lunch, I had guys burgers, the deli, or the carving station. The new deli menu is great in my opinion. I had dinner in the MDR every night. The pizza is also served to order so that's another option for any time of day. I skipped the 24/7 self serve ice cream and didn't use any of the public restrooms. The MDR has ice cream available every night so I just had it there on nights that I wanted it. On the plus side, I only gained about 3 pounds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for all of the suggestions, and I will check with the special needs department.

In regards to just washing hands, unfortunately washing hands does nothing for inconsistent food temperatures and other things like people's hands touching the actual food, sneezing (& the sneeze guards do not prevent everything), etc. . We'd all love to think that no one ever touches the food without the tongs, etc, but the reality is that I've seen kids and adults do it many times. I know having the food served isn't a guarantee, but it does at least help and follows my oncologists directions. I definitely don't want to have to explain how I got sick b/c I chose to eat at the general buffet anyway, especially since a rather "easy" illness for most people has the possibility of being much more serious for me. I'm very thankful she supports me "living" through travel as much as possible.

You are right there are no guarantees. All you can do is follow your doctor's suggestions and not let this disease keep you from living your life. Here's wishing you good health and a fabulous cruise

with the type of meds my GD takes it will be wise to avoid the buffet-- or wear plastic gloves-- or have some one serve her. Her immune system is non existant and she could pick up a bug very quickly by touching the wrong spoon