Uniworld----- Additional Cost Excursions.

English Voyager

I have recently booked for 2018 a Rhine/ Moselle cruise with Uniworld.

Whilst making the reservation, my TA was advised by Uniworld that additional cost excursions were available but details, and price, would only be made available after embarkation.

This seems to be a strange way to operate, so I was wondering what the view is of people who have been on these special excursions.

We took a river cruise with Uniworld from Budapest to Amsterdam, 3 years ago.Took most of the tours included with cruise,and some extra.Both were very good and well organized.the cruise and staff were above and beyond. well worth the money. Enjoy your voyage. Gil

The optional cruises are usually very good. Typically they are passenger limited on a first come first serve basis. Many will revolve around certain special events going on at the time of cruise, so aren’t offered on every cruise, or may only be offered on your specific cruise.

Uniworld calls its optional tours their Bespoke Experiences. Since they consider themselves "all-inclusive" their brochures and marketing material only list the "inclusive" tours. On our Rhine cruise, there were four experiences. A trip to the Black Forest (offered the same time as Strasbourg on your own); a gourmet vinegar cooking class, and a trip to Heidelberg (two separate experiences) both offered at the same time as Speyer on your own; and a Private Wine Academy, offered at the same time as the included tour in Boppard.

We did the trip to Heidelberg, and felt it was well worth it. We weren't interested in the others. There is plenty to do "on your own," and can be as relaxing, or as hectic, as you choose.

We will be taking our 4th Uniworld cruise in the spring, and can't wait.

Enjoy!!!

Robin

We have cruised on six rivers with Uniworld. Most (but not all) of the optional "experiences" are listed in the Cruise Companion brochure provided a couple of weeks prior to embarkation, as well as online on the day to day descriptions of each itinerary. So we researched the options to help decide which we wanted to book. But it's correct that the price is not available until onboard. We don't book all of the optional tours but enjoyed the ones we did take.

This is standard practices on Uniworld cruises, and on many other river lines. It was certainly our experience on Emerald this summer. No advance booking of optional excursions; only on-board.

But not on all. On AMA most of the examples listed here are either regular excursion options (no need to pre-book, included in cruise fare) or 'Limited Edition' excursions (pre-bookable and included in the cruise fare). We had a great after-dinner trip to 'help' a boulangerie make baguettes – no extra charge. This is the one area where Uniworld's "all-inclusive" claim doesn't hold water [pun intended]

We've done two cruises with Uniworld and have a third booked for 2018. For the most part, we skip the optional excursions since the ones that are included are wonderful and pretty much cover everything we'd want to see. The only exception for us was Heidelberg on our Rhine itinerary, but the cost was pretty minimal considering the distance traveled, etc. (That was the only charge on our final bill for that cruise; our last cruise had a final tally of $0; I expect the same for the next one.)

• 3 months later...
We've done two cruises with Uniworld and have a third booked for 2018. For the most part, we skip the optional excursions since the ones that are included are wonderful and pretty much cover everything we'd want to see. The only exception for us was Heidelberg on our Rhine itinerary, but the cost was pretty minimal considering the distance traveled, etc. (That was the only charge on our final bill for that cruise; our last cruise had a final tally of $0; I expect the same for the next one.)

Hi there, we're doing Uniworld's Castles on the Rhine next April. Can you tell me about your experience on that particular river cruise? This is our first river cruise, we're pretty excited.

Hi there, we're doing Uniworld's Castles on the Rhine next April. Can you tell me about your experience on that particular river cruise? This is our first river cruise, we're pretty excited.

I did this cruise last March/April. Here is a link to my review.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2479562&referrerid=191235

Robin

I hope you have a great time! We did this in 2014 and it was our first European river cruise. Great trip. I also did a trip report.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

If you go onto the Uniworld website - they have some brochures and a template for certain cruises under the Already Booked (where the cruise guidebooks are) which outline some of the excursions available. They vary in cost and some can be very limited (e.g. 10-14 people) and some less so.

The costs are disclosed in the paperwork on the bed on the first night along with the overview of the cruise. You are advised to book the ones you want early as sometimes, if you wait till the night before when the cruise manager does their talk, you may find out there is already a waitlist!

Carolyn;

Almost all the tours on Uniworld are included in the base price. Some cruises have no tours that have added costs. Even if one is offered, there will be something included at the same time.

Go to Uniworld’s website to the Before You Go section and read the offerings for your cruise, should be spelled out there.

Be aware, however, that not all extra cost tours are available on each cruise. Those tours may rotate around special local events that are specific to the time frame one is sailing. You may not even learn about them until you Board.

On the Rhine they were in the €40-60 range.

On the Rhône they were around €40 for half day stuff like Pont du Gard, €80 for longer tours like truffle farm visit and Châteauneuf de Pape, and €100 or so for cooking classes.

On the Danube they were €40 range for Schönbrunn Palace, €70-80 for music stuff (concert, etc) and there was a helicopter ride over the Wachau Valley for €150-200 depending on the length of the ride.

Sorry, I just reread your post and you asked for USD prices. Oops. The European ships convert your OBC into euros and all prices are in euros.

PS careful, I don't think you can mention specific travel agencies.

On the Rhine they were in the €40-60 range.

On the Rhône they were around €40 for half day stuff like Pont du Gard, €80 for longer tours like truffle farm visit and Châteauneuf de Pape, and €100 or so for cooking classes.

On the Danube they were €40 range for Schönbrunn Palace, €70-80 for music stuff (concert, etc) and there was a helicopter ride over the Wachau Valley for €150-200 depending on the length of the ride.

Sorry, I just reread your post and you asked for USD prices. Oops. The European ships convert your OBC into euros and all prices are in euros.

PS careful, I don't think you can mention specific travel agencies.

Thanks. Even in Euros this is very helpful - now I'm sure that we would have no difficulty spending OBC in the "all inclusive" Uniworld environment!

I pretty sure that on the Rhone two years ago June the Pont Du Gard wasn't extra.

At our Burgundy & Provence from Lyon to Avignon with S.S. Catherine the following paid excursions were offered - price in Euro - the excursions did sell out quite fast.

Day 2 Beaune: Southern Burgundy and Delights at Rulle Castle €85

Day 3 Lyon: Institute Poul Bocuse Cooking demonstration €115

Day 5 Viviers: Truffle Farm and Chateauneuf-du-Pape wine Tasting €85

Day 6 Avignon: Cooking lesson at Hotel La Miranda €165

Day 7 Tarascon and Arles: Olive Farm and Les Baux de Provence charming village €55

I pretty sure that on the Rhone two years ago June the Pont Du Gard wasn't extra.

I think you are right. I did this is 2015 when it was an exra, and it may have changed the following year. Would have to check one of the newer reviews...