LIVE from the 2018 HAL Grand World Voyage!

Scrapnana

Hi Kathi,

As time permits, I check on your World Cruise blog. Do know that you are missed on sailaway days. I am wondering some of the more basic thoughts that you may have mentioned: Have you gained weight or does your self control and pool time keep it stable? Have you tired of the food or is there enough variety? Are you looking forward to returning home or are you so content that you could go on and on? Is the Amsterdam still worthy of her role as Holland America's long distance voyager?

Rob

Columbo, Sri Lanka – March 20, 2018

Today’s tour was a private one set up on Cruise Critic. It was a visit to the Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage. There were a few glitches along the way but the visit itself was wonderful.

The orphanage was first set up in 1975 with five elephants. Originally designed to attract tourists, it soon became more geared for conservation and education. It started a breeding program with the first baby being born in 1984.

Our first problem came as we were looking for the van that was picking us up. The operator was under the impression that there would be a shuttle between the ship and Gate #1 of the port. There was no shuttle, so we had to figure out the way to the gate which was about a 10-minute walk. Luckily, the van was early and waiting for us as we came through the gate.

We were all concerned about making it back to the ship in time because the orphanage was a 2.5-3 hour drive from the port. We were supposed to take the van to the orphanage and the train back. When the plans were originally made we were to have reserved seats. As it turned out, we did not. The prospect of possibly having to stand in the heat (no a/c on the train) for the two-hour train ride did not appeal to any of us so we opted to come back in the cool van. I would have really liked to ride the train but knew I could not stand for that length of time and especially with the heat.

We arrived at 11 am and our guide bought the tickets and took us through to see the elephants. He suggested the deck of a restaurant which had a perfect view of the elephants enjoying the water and a chance to sit and get a cold drink. We could have had lunch there but none of us were real hungry with the heat.

At noon the elephants were hosed with water and marched up the main street, presumably for lunch. A full-grown elephant eats about 250 kilos of food per day and drinks 150 kilos of water. Before we left some of the elephants were taken back to the water.

After my cold drink it was time for some shopping. The street down to the water was lined with small shops. I was taking a picture when a man from one of the shops told me to come in and find out how the poo paper is made. Eating so much food there is plenty of waste and they have made it into very interesting paper. He explained to me the entire process and I got to see some paper being made.

At 1:00 we started back to the ship. Randy, our guide, offered to stop at one of the tea plantations but we were all ready to head back and not worry about the time.

When we were almost back to Columbo, Randy announced that he had spoken to the management of the company and they were going to pay for a van to drive us back to the pier since his van could not go in the gates. It is some kind of a labor union issue as to who can and cannot drive within the gates.

There were small stores on the dock by the ship so a little more shopping was in order. I had said I was not going to do it but I fell in love with a fabric for a sari. There are 6 meters of fabric and someday I may cut it up and make an evening wrap besides I only paid $10 for the fabric so no big loss if I never use it again. We are having our Indian Night in the dining room tomorrow. It was supposed to be last evening on the Gala Night but a number of people asked that it be moved to have the chance to buy the sari in Sri Lanka.

For afternoon trivia Rodney, Marilyn, and I played with 3 others who did not have a full team. Of course, we came in second with 15 while the winning team had a perfect 19.

1)What color are cranberries before they turn red?

2)What is the animal symbol of Thailand?

3)Which creature’s name comes from the Aboriginal words for “no drink”?

4)What is the name for a group of cats?

5)Which martial art’s name means “way of the sword”?

After trivia I got a bowl of ice cream (I hadn’t had anything to eat all day) and watched sail-away.

John and Margaret did not join us tonight so there were only the four of us. I had a salad, Chicken Tikka, and a chocolate sundae for dessert.

I skipped the show although it sounded good as I listened through the floor.

Three sea days coming up and we gain a half hour of sleep tonight.

P.S. As we were leaving the ship I got to meet John, aka Copper 10-8 from Cruise Critic. For those who do not frequent the HAL forum, he is our go-to guy for any questions about the ships as he works security for HAL. It was a pleasure to finally get to meet him in person.

Trivia…

1)white

2)elephant

3)koala

4)clowder

5)kendo

Kathi your visit to the orphanage sounds wonderful.

What an experience!

Enjoying your posts and blog very much.

Thank you so much for continuing to take the time and $ to share with us. :D

Hi Kathi,

As time permits, I check on your World Cruise blog. Do know that you are missed on sailaway days. I am wondering some of the more basic thoughts that you may have mentioned: Have you gained weight or does your self control and pool time keep it stable? Have you tired of the food or is there enough variety? Are you looking forward to returning home or are you so content that you could go on and on? Is the Amsterdam still worthy of her role as Holland America's long distance voyager?

Rob

The scale in the gym only works when we are docked so I go in on some port days and weigh myself. I still weigh the same as when I go on. This is not because of self control but because I get so much more exercise when I am cruising than when I am at home.

I could go on and on. Maybe if the Publisher's Clearinghouse people come to visit I could become the next Dolly!:D

I have become a convert to the smaller ships (Amsterdam is my smallest ship in about 20 years) and know that there would be many repeat world cruisers who would be up in arms if HAL changed the WC ship. Eventually it will happen when the smaller ships are sold off but nobody wants that to happen anytime soon.

At Sea – March 21, 2018

I woke up too late to go to water aerobics so I spent the time before knitting getting my blog posted. I was too tired last night to do so.

There were about 8 of us at Sit and Stitch but people were coming and going throughout. There was a deck sale of HAL logo merchandise and some went to see what they had and then came back.

We only had 9 points in morning trivia while the winners had 11.

1)What is the national flower of Sri Lanka?

2)What is the largest underwater crab by size in the world?

3)What is a group of unicorns called?

4)Who is the longest reigning heavyweight boxing champion with 26 successful defenses?

5)Who was the lead guitarist of Queen?

After lunch I read and then knitted until about 2:15. Barbara, the EXC guide, was holding a sari tying demonstration at 2:30 when I normally go to arts and crafts. I decided that I needed to make sure that I remembered how to do it (the lady who I bought the fabric from showed me yesterday). The demo only lasted about 10 minutes so I went to arts and crafts a few minutes late. When we are making jewelry you have to arrive early but for others crafts there is usually not a full house and that was true today. The craft we made was a Sashiko embroidered pouch. Since I came late I didn’t hear what “sashiko” is.

I read and knitted before heading to trivia. For afternoon trivia we had 11 points and two teams tied with 14 (out of 17).

1)In which city was the third Disney theme park opened?

2)What was the price of tickets for the first Super Bowl?

3)What was the biggest Broadway musical during WWII?

4)What was Rembrandt’s last name?

5)What was the best selling car in the world during the 1950s and 60s?

Worked on my blog before attempting to put on my sari. The piece that goes over the shoulder was not a great success. Trying to do it myself was hard and I was never satisfied with it (it kept falling down my arm). Note to self – if I ever wear it again baste the pleats together.

About 7:30 I went to the piano bar to hear Jamm’s Andrew Lloyd Webber night.

Dinner was Indian themed and there were lots of women and a few men in Indian clothing. The crew in the dining room were all dressed for the evening as well. I had fruit, Lamb Biryani, and a mango sundae for dessert.

The show was a violinist and I passed on it.

Morning trivia…

1)blue water lily

2)Japanese spider crab

3)blessing

4)Joe Louis

5)May (I believe the first name was Brian)

Afternoon trivia…

1)Tokyo

2)$17

3)Oklahoma!

4)van Rijn

5)VW Beetle

I’m on Koningsdam with Mom for her 80th. Good connection today so caught up on your posts. She has a friend on your cruise who lives part time in Waikoloa Village. Her name is Dee and she scuba dives and takes pictures. P.S. I made a deposit for 2020 WC. Preview of my sea day blog: woke up, got a cappuccino and raisin bun, read another book in Crows Nest, salad for lunch, read some more, dinner around 6:30 with cheese plate for dessert. I’ve never been artsy or craftsy but your projects sound very good. I’m going to have to increase my HAL visa limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At Sea – March 21, 2018

I woke up too late to go to water aerobics so I spent the time before knitting getting my blog posted. I was too tired last night to do so.

There were about 8 of us at Sit and Stitch but people were coming and going throughout. There was a deck sale of HAL logo merchandise and some went to see what they had and then came back.

We only had 9 points in morning trivia while the winners had 11.

1)What is the national flower of Sri Lanka?

2)What is the largest underwater crab by size in the world?

3)What is a group of unicorns called?

4)Who is the longest reigning heavyweight boxing champion with 26 successful defenses?

5)Who was the lead guitarist of Queen?

After lunch I read and then knitted until about 2:15. Barbara, the EXC guide, was holding a sari tying demonstration at 2:30 when I normally go to arts and crafts. I decided that I needed to make sure that I remembered how to do it (the lady who I bought the fabric from showed me yesterday). The demo only lasted about 10 minutes so I went to arts and crafts a few minutes late. When we are making jewelry you have to arrive early but for others crafts there is usually not a full house and that was true today. The craft we made was a Sashiko embroidered pouch. Since I came late I didn’t hear what “sashiko” is.

I read and knitted before heading to trivia. For afternoon trivia we had 11 points and two teams tied with 14 (out of 17).

1)In which city was the third Disney theme park opened?

2)What was the price of tickets for the first Super Bowl?

3)What was the biggest Broadway musical during WWII?

4)What was Rembrandt’s last name?

5)What was the best selling car in the world during the 1950s and 60s?

Worked on my blog before attempting to put on my sari. The piece that goes over the shoulder was not a great success. Trying to do it myself was hard and I was never satisfied with it (it kept falling down my arm). Note to self – if I ever wear it again baste the pleats together.

About 7:30 I went to the piano bar to hear Jamm’s Andrew Lloyd Webber night.

Dinner was Indian themed and there were lots of women and a few men in Indian clothing. The crew in the dining room were all dressed for the evening as well. I had fruit, Lamb Biryani, and a mango sundae for dessert.

The show was a violinist and I passed on it.

Morning trivia…

1)blue water lily

2)Japanese spider crab

3)blessing

4)Joe Louis

5)May (I believe the first name was Brian)

Afternoon trivia…

1)Tokyo

2)$17

3)Oklahoma!

4)van Rijn

5)VW Beetle

We had Jamm on our Canada cruise on the Maasdam. He was fantastic!! Never went to the piano bar on multiple cruises till we ran in Jamm. Not we are hooked. Please say Hi for us. PS he does not know us by name, but say hi. He will remember the Canada cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kathi - sit and stitch question. Not sure if you just knit or you crochet too. I want to get back to crocheting ( I was never very good) and would like to do a lap blanket that would be very soft. What type of yarn? I saw Red Heart and Caron online - are they okay brands? Can you recommend one? Or any of your crocheters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Sea – March 22, 2018

I started my day with water aerobics. We had 15 present including Shane and his grandmother. He is about 10 and doing the entire world cruise with his grandparents. He is a very polite young man.

There were about ten of us at Sit and Stitch. I am binding off my sock (2nd pair) and having trouble making it very stretchy.

We tied for first place in morning trivia. We had 14 and would have had 15 but we over-analyzed the question about where chopsticks originated and did not pick the obvious answer – China – which was also the correct one.

1)Yerevan, one of the oldest continuously inhabited city, is the capital of which country?

2)What is the first commercial product to have a bar code?

3)Who was the one-hit wonder who wrote and sang “Spirit in the Sky”?

4)Who was the Formula 1 driver nicknamed “The Flying Scot”?

5)What was Elvis’ first movie?

We had the shortest spring ever. After only one full day of spring it is now fall. At 1:06 pm we crossed the equator for the third time and are now in the southern hemisphere and autumn has begun.

Ate lunch with Cyndi and Ed and then made the Tiger Eye bracelet with them.

Sat by the pool and read and knitted after crafts. While sitting by the pool I heard a rumor that all of the seating in the Queen’s Lounge on deck 4 was going to be replaced during the drydock. Stadium-style seats will be installed which would definitely make it easier to see the stage. The rumor did not include whether these seats would be movable or if the dance floor will be removed.

Our showing in afternoon trivia was not great. We had 11 and three teams tied with 15 out of 17.

1)What fishing industry results in the death of thousands of dolphins?

2)What has four true varieties – black, white, green, and oolong?

3)What are the letters “e” and “o” worth in Scrabble?

4)What is the national animal of South Africa?

5)Which sign of the zodiac is represented by the bull?

After trivia I came back to my cabin to watch Barbara’s talk about the Seychelles and knit for a while.

It seems Herb has joined our dinner table permanently. I had fried cheddar, pork tenderloin, and a caramel sundae for dessert.

The show tonight was the Jukebox Rogues and once again they were excellent.

We gain another hour tonight and have one more day at sea before getting to the Seychelles.

Morning trivia…

1)Armenia

2)package of gum

3)Greenbaum

4)Jackie Stewart

5)Love Me Tender

Afternoon trivia…

1)tuna

2)tea

3)1 point each

4)springbok

5)Taurus

Another busy day at sea for you.

Hope you figure out what you are doing wrong on the sock.

We love the trivia questions.

Do you win anything for playing trivia each day? I read on another thread that everyone who plays gets 10 cents -- sounds weird to me.

Everyone who plays gets a 10 cent voucher on sea days (none on port days - not sure why). At the end they can be traded in for Amazon gift cards. I guess dam dollars became too much effort.;)

Everyone who plays gets a 10 cent voucher on sea days (none on port days - not sure why). At the end they can be traded in for Amazon gift cards. I guess dam dollars became too much effort.;)

Thank you.

I guess that Amazon gift cards will be nice for those people who shop there.

I really liked the Dam Dollars.

Sherita,

Caron makes a very nice (and relatively inexpensive) yarn called "Simply Soft". I crocheted an evening wrap from it. It is nice to work with and holds up well.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure glad there is a lot more activities on a World Cruise as there is barely anything offered on sea days -- not even on a 21 day cruise.

You heading into fall weather and winter slammed us on the first day of spring -- 10 1/2 inches of snow.

From what I have heard, I am not sorry I missed the weather at home for the last three months!:D

At Sea – March 23, 2018

Once again I started my morning with water aerobics. Shane deserted us today to play ping pong with his grandfather so there were only 14. I picked up juice and a very tasty pastry that had a filling and blueberries on top after checking out the deck sale (no purchases).

About 11 of us for Sit and Stitch. My bind-off on my sock is not stretchy enough so I am going to try a different one. I started on my second sock of the pair.

In morning trivia we only had 7 points (out of 15) but the two teams that tied for first only had 8!

1)In what country were playing cards invented?

2)How fast can a honeybee fly?

3)What “f” word describes 12 or more cows?

4)Alektorophobia is the fear of what?

5)What is the alternative name for all spice in the West Indies?

I had a craving for a toasted cheese sandwich so I had that with a salad and fruit for lunch.

Sat with Cyndi and Ed to make the earrings to match yesterday’s bracelet.

Had my afternoon ice cream while reading by the pool. There were very few people in the area. Then I knitted until time for trivia.

We did much better in evening trivia with 18 but came in second because the winning team had all 19 correct.

1)Which French sculptor created the Statue of Liberty?

2)How do you say “hello” in Mandarin Chinese?

3)Curiosity, launched by NASA in 2011, is designed to explore what planet?

4)What are the four countries that begin with the letter “D” (in English)?

5)In chess, besides the pawn, what piece can make the first move?

I decided to do something I have not done for the entire cruise and go to the movie in the Wajang Theater. I almost never go to the movies at home and seldom even watch them on TV but “The Greatest Showman” (about P.T. Barnum) came out right before I left for the cruise. I saw Hugh Jackman being interviewed on some of the late night talk shows and it sounded interesting.

Because of the movie, my evening schedule was changed. I went to “Name That Tune” in the Piano Bar at 7 pm and played with Helen. As usual, we did not do very well. Then to dinner in the Lido before heading to the theater to get a seat. I have heard that the seats fill up quickly. The late show, however, does not seem to draw a crowd and there were plenty of vacant seats. I enjoyed the movie.

The Seychelles tomorrow and I have a 7.5 hour tour. We don’t dock until 10, however, so I don’t have to be up early.

Morning trivia…

1)China

2)15 mph

3)flink

4)chickens

5)pimento

Evening trivia…

1)Barthodi (sp?)

2)Ni how

3)Mars

4)Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, and Djoubuti (sp?)

5)knight

From what I have heard, I am not sorry I missed the weather at home for the last three months!:D

Consider yourself lucky to have escaped ;)

I confess to being jealous as I do the BV threads, but with the stupid storms, the chances of getting out would have made it risky.

Oh the Seychelles? That sounds enchanting. Looking forward to hearing all about that :)

Have a great time Kathi.