Flight schedule changes—FYI

Kierste

We fly often and I tend to book as early as possible, as I like to have my choice of flight times and connections, and I rarely find a better price later. The risk with this is airlines tend to tweak their schedules around, and don’t always notify you, so I tend to check my flights frequently leading up to my trip. I checked my delta flights today for our multi-leg Europe trip next summer, that ends with a convoluted return to the west coast US from Rome after we get off the Spirit. At the time the flights I booked were by far the most reasonable (for economy plus—or Comfort plus as delta calls it). Well this switcheroo of flight times was minimal, but now the website said that I *may* miss my connection. I had 1 hour and 10 minutes at my Paris connection. I had 1 hour and 20 minutes before... still not much.

So I call delta... lady says that is more than enough time and she won’t change anything because the change they made wasn’t an hour or more different. Even though it was a fairly short connection for an international trip. If I want to change it will cost me a bazillion dollars in change fees. Hmmmm okay. I hang up and call back.

Delta is really busy today, 2 hour hold times, but don’t worry, they will call me and I won’t lose my place in line.

Lady #2... wow, hmmm yeah that seems pretty short for a connection. Let’s get you switched up to this other flight, of course for no extra charges, of course you get comfort plus still... here are some great seats... happy new year!

Now I didn’t whine, yell or complain. I was very nice on both calls... maybe a little less nice the 1st call when I wasn’t getting anywhere. I was just asking for some common sense to be applied. Just goes to show that a: keep an eye on your reservation and b: sometimes you need to talk to a new person to get the result you want.

Hope this helps someone :)

Yep...that is the way you do it. Hang up and call back. I am a Diamond on Delta and it works that way on our super secret Diamond line as well. During a flight cancellation some idiot still tried to charge me but we were so far in and it was one of the last seats I let him charge me and then called back and got it refunded.

I would have stayed with the shorter connection. You stay in the controlled area, so it is a matter of moving to your next plane. Now you are faced with very long sit times.

After a 21 day trip, my husband may have lost it if we missed our connection and were stuck in Paris. This way we are flying from Rome to Atlanta first and will be in the US with more choices if something were to happen and we miss our connection to Oregon. It really is a much better set of flights now with much less risk. Win win.

I would have stayed with the shorter connection. You stay in the controlled area, so it is a matter of moving to your next plane. Now you are faced with very long sit times.

Not necessarily true. We changed planes in Paris and were immediately funneled to a non-secured area after leaving the plane. We then had to take a train to a different terminal, check luggage and go through security again. An hour and ten minute would not have worked.

OP, glad you were able to make the change.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How do you know it's a very long sit time?

Did I miss the post stating it was?

It could be just an extra hour or so

Btw I just connected via Paris this summer and Were always in the controlled area. The walk between gates/terminals though is still very long but once at the connecting gate the shopping is incredible. Wish I had a longer time there actually

Not necessarily true. We changed planes in Paris and were immediately funneled to a non-secured area after leaving the plane. We then had to take a train to a different terminal, check luggage and go through security again. An hour and ten minute would not have worked.

OP, glad you were able to make the change.

I was concerned this would happen to us as well but it didn't

We were on AF the entire flight Naples to JFK so maybe that makes a difference?

Regardless I was most concerned with the great olive oils and aperitifs and Carthusian hand cream that I bought dirt cheap at the Naples airport with the assurances I could carry it on of course but I was so concerned about the connection that I asked a flight attendant to find out if we were going thru security again at degaulle

The flights chief attendant made some inflight calls and it was 50/50 at best that we would just sail thru. We did fortunately

I still have nightmares about CDG, and that insanity for us was back in 2005. An hour connection would have given me hives!

Good going on keeping your cool with getting your flights corrected, OP!

My call to United was for them moving a nonstop from Miami to a one stop routing through Chicago next week--without any notification to me! :mad: Got it fixed, but wasn't amused at the hijinks.

When planning your flights i.e. from Europe to the Pacific northwest consider that there may be only

one non-stop from say Paris to Seattle - better to look at a connection flight (with adequate connection time)

via JFK or Atlanta Chicago or other major airline hub - your travel may be a bit longer but will have the

assurance of multiple options to get to that final destination.

Schedule changes by the airlines - change fees are waived and routing can be altered no additional charge.

Although weather may rear up its ugly head from time to time keep that in mind with the routing you plan i.e.

the recent winter storm activity in the Northeast - or hurricanes in the Atlantic and of course the recent night

that Atlanta turned the lights out in Georgia*** well not really I just threw that in for some humor.

Don't plan like Phileas Fogg (Around the World in 80 Days) that is too much too little too far too gasp enough !

You should still continue to check your flights, and your seats. You can move your seats around right online and also on the app.

Delta makes lots of flight changes. Warning. Never pay attention to anything that looks crazy on a Saturday. Wait until Sunday. They do some funny things in the back office on Saturdays then it clears up on Sunday.

Thanks everyone... I am pretty happy. I have friends that decided to do WDW for Christmas one year... surprise etc... fly out Christmas morning. They did not check their flights... went to check in on Christmas Eve and the times were totally different with an extra connection and they lost their seat assignments the whole 9 yards... and it was basically too late to fix a thing.

Our original flight home was Rome-Paris-Minneapolis-Portland... I kept trying to tell myself that it would be good... more time to stretch on the long journey home. But honestly the hop in Europe was not sitting well. At the end of a long trip, I really wanted our first connection to be back in the US with options if something went awry.

I also knew booking so far out would mean a good chance to change my flights in our favor. Which is exactly what happened. Now we are Rome-Atlanta-Portland Or... Atlanta is a nice big hub... with options. And much closer to home.

I have seen recently that very few airlines let you know about changes, especially if it is only a few minutes here or there. So that is why I posted. I think most people think they will get notified. Well, you may not. We are not loyal to any one airline. I have my favorites. But I really book by schedule and price. Delta in this case was cheaper and had the times I wanted... and now for the price I paid originally, a better flight schedule that suits us more! Yay!