Outer Mole question

joanskid

• 6 months later...
On 9/11/2018 at 8:08 PM, Grumpy Husband said:

You are very welcome, and I also enjoy research and gaining knowledge.

I see we will be arriving at Outer Mole pier, take the trolley 5-15 minutes to Mallory Square, or three blocks from it.  Where will taxis be located so we can get to the airport for our car rental?  Thanks for any info!

2 hours ago, sulala said:

I see we will be arriving at Outer Mole pier, take the trolley 5-15 minutes to Mallory Square, or three blocks from it.  Where will taxis be located so we can get to the airport for our car rental?  Thanks for any info!

Rental car??? Why a car fo a few hours?

3 hours ago, Grumpy Husband said:

Rental car??? Why a car fo a few hours?

We have friends who stayin Marathon and we got a really good deal with points on a rental.  Plus, I really want to drive on the overseas highway.  We will be back in the fall for another cruise and will be able to do more then.  I would like to know if cabs are visible around Mallory Square or other transportation.  Thank you for any info.

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Husband said:

Well most cabs just cruise around Mallory and you should be able to have any business call one for you, and it should not take long to get one to the airport. Hope you have plenty of time in case of traffic.

Thank you.  The video of the trip from the pier is helpful. Our ship says it will be in Key West from 9 am - 6pm so we thought we would have plenty of time.  If you think otherwise, I would appreciate input.

On a good day it's only around 80-90 minutes to Marathon from KW (obviously depending on where exactly in Marathon you are going).  The problem is most of the Overseas highway is one lane on each side and traffic incident can cause delays for miles, or shut it down completely.  Last time we drove down, a crane fell over somewhere around Islamorada and held up traffic for hours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CT Sean said:

On a good day it's only around 80-90 minutes to Marathon from KW (obviously depending on where exactly in Marathon you are going).  The problem is most of the Overseas highway is one lane on each side and traffic incident can cause delays for miles, or shut it down completely.  Last time we drove down, a crane fell over somewhere around Islamorada and held up traffic for hours.

Have to agree with CT Sean...and it will also depend on what day you will be there. Weekend traffic or road construction can affect the travel time. We were stuck behind a tanker truck wreck that blocked Overseas Highway for over 8 hours, and no options for other roads to get to Key West. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Curious if the pier at Mallory Square is still out of commission? I checked the linked schedule and on my date (2/17) they are only listing a ship at Pier B and Edge at Outer Mole. Seems that security-wise they would only want to be using that one if the other 2 are in use.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

45 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Curious if the pier at Mallory Square is still out of commission? I checked the linked schedule and on my date (2/17) they are only listing a ship at Pier B and Edge at Outer Mole. Seems that security-wise they would only want to be using that one if the other 2 are in use.

It is back in use

If you rewind the Mallory square webcam, you can see it was in use about 5 hours ago

47 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Mallory pier is in operation, but the ship size is the determining factor on which ships dock there. The larger ships use the Outer Mole and Pier B.

11 minutes ago, CT Sean said:

It is back in use

If you rewind the Mallory square webcam, you can see it was in use about 5 hours ago

6 minutes ago, Grumpy Husband said:

Mallory pier is in operation, but the ship size is the determining factor on which ships dock there. The larger ships use the Outer Mole and Pier B.

Gotcha. I really despise the idea of having to shuttle. And honestly wonder with things as they look like they’re going in the world right now if we’ll even be allowed to dock there soon! I hope we don’t have to cancel the port since another ship has B - not only for the world but selfishly because of what I booked today to do in port!

Yes, don't overthink this. I was worried ahead of our trip, but it's no big deal. At least when we were there the naval operation seemed wholly inactive, with the only evidence being the security. 

Trams were abundant to get you into town, we then took a cab down to the beach and finally just walked back to the gate of the naval port where we were ID's and allowed to board the next tram back to the boat.

The bonus was we got a bit of a tour of KW on the way in with commentary from the driver, so we saw places we might have missed had we just been at Mallory.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, swisstony99 said:

Yes, don't overthink this. I was worried ahead of our trip, but it's no big deal. At least when we were there the naval operation seemed wholly inactive, with the only evidence being the security. 

Trams were abundant to get you into town, we then took a cab down to the beach and finally just walked back to the gate of the naval port where we were ID's and allowed to board the next tram back to the boat.

The bonus was we got a bit of a tour of KW on the way in with commentary from the driver, so we saw places we might have missed had we just been at Mallory.

I'm actually more worried that the security level on the base might be raised to the point where we are not allowed to dock given the world situation right now than I am about the shuttle. It's a pain to have to deal with - especially since my last cruise that stopped in Key West we were right at Mallory Square (also had time there with my parents and sister before so we did the Conch Train Tour and the Trolley, so I feel pretty well versed on it)