Which style cabin do you prefer and why.

OceanTraveller4ever

For me cost is the deciding factor. Since I travel solo, HAL normally charges 200% for a balcony but only(?) about 165% for interior and ocean view cabins. Although I would prefer a balcony my bank account says no. So, I go with an ocean view. I can't do interiors because it is like sleeping in a closet for me. I was 11 the first and only time I ever had an interior and can still remember how much I disliked it.

Basic balconies. Never could see the need to go to suites, unless there was a good upsell for one.

Could never do an inside because of claustrophobia. ( I could not sleep in a lifeboat obstructed view for one night on Princess.)

It is amazing how much time a person actually is in their cabin beyond sleeping and showering.

All my HAL cruises apart from one (in a Signature Suite) I have always had a Neptune Suite. I liked the perks that go with it.

Having just got off the Veendam where we had a Neptune Suite I became 4 star Mariner. I will probably not bother with Neptune Suites again. I am not that bothered about the Neptune Lounge on HAL - not like Concierge Lounge on RCI which is great. I will now get free laundry and priority boarding as a 4 star.

I tried an inside cabin on another cruise line a few years ago just to see what it was like. I hated it. I like to have a balcony so a balcony cabin is what I will probably book in future.

Basic balcony. On Princess we might spring for a mini suite if the delta is low. Too often we find that the upgrade is more focussed on things we do not care about vs. the increase in real estate.

We believe that the two most exaggerated words that cruise lines use are the words 'sale and 'suite'. The sale is usually not a sale. Our experience is that the suite is seldom a suite as we understand it.

Basic balcony. On Princess we might spring for a mini suite if the delta is low. Too often we find that the upgrade is more focussed on things we do not care about vs. the increase in real estate.

We believe that the two most exaggerated words that cruise lines use are the words 'sale and 'suite'. The sale is usually not a sale. Our experience is that the suite is seldom a suite as we understand it.

On mainstream cruise lines, a standard "suite" or worse a "mini-suite" isn't a suite at all but a slightly larger cabin. We choose our cabin by the value it represents to us. Never an interior and never a top-tier suite but somewhere in the middle depending on ship and itinerary.

Our favorite cabin was the Zuiderdam Signature Suite. Not a suite in the true sense of the word (at least my interpretation) but the bathroom was the largest I've had on 15+ cruises and the cabin itself was very roomy. With the Explore 4 promotion last year, including perks that we would have paid for anyway, the cabin was more expensive than a standard balcony but held great value for us. Our next cruise was a "deluxe" oceanview on Oceania Insignia. The smallest bathroom on the seas for sure (really tiny!), but it was only a 7 day cruise and we managed. For that cruise the itinerary was the important factor - 3 ports in Cuba including an overnight in Havana. We paid approximately the same for both cruises.

You have to establish what's important to you. We shop around a lot.

My favorite cabin is an inside cabin. I spend very little time in the cabin and I love the darkness for sleeping. I have had ocean view and balconies but always go back to an inside. For me one of the highlights of cruising is meeting new people and I won't do that in my room.

I really have to at LEAST have a balcony....here lately, a suite. I like a couple of lounge chairs on the balcony. Also a couple of chairs and a table is nice too. I really enjoy going out on the balcony when getting close to a port of call.....passing by the Pitons....etc. Also it's really nice to have breakfast on your balcony! Can be romantic too! I also enjoy watching the sea life....amazing what one sees if you'll just LOOK.

Basic balconies. Never could see the need to go to suites, unless there was a good upsell for one.

Could never do an inside because of claustrophobia. ( I could not sleep in a lifeboat obstructed view for one night on Princess.)

It is amazing how much time a person actually is in their cabin beyond sleeping and showering.

Thanks for putting my reply into words :D:D

We actually do spend a lot of time out on our balcony. DH has mobility issues so it's not unusual to see him out there with his iced tea and a good book.

We have only ever cruised in a Neptune Suite. We’re about to do our 4th cruise and will hit 3 Star when it’s done. We love the aft wrap balcony and will continue to cruise this way until we can no longer afford it. Then we’ll probably still go with a balcony. We spend a lot of time on our balcony. We’re relaxing, not looking to socialize in particular. We like the extra space and the perks that come with the Suite and the pampering. We don’t like to hang by the pool as hubby has an aversion to public swimming pools. Love the aft view

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've sailed in everything from an inside to a Neptune Suite. More often in the low end cabins than the high end. I usually sail solo, so price is the biggest factor for me. Only once did I experience claustrophobia in an interior cabin, and that was in a 125 sq. ft. tuna can on the Noordam. :(

What I love about the Neptune Suites:

• the extra room
  • the bigger bathroom
  • breakfast in the Pinnacle
  • the Neptune Lounge
  • the bigger veranda

What I like about the interior cabins:

• sleeping in total darkness
  • locations tend to be on decks with few public areas, thus low foot traffic
  • the price
  • being on a cruise ship (for the right price I would sleep in a sleeping bag in one of the lifeboats :D )

Roz

Generally a balcony - part of the point of cruise is being at sea, and being able to step out, day or night, to feel, see, smell and hear it is significant.

Much more than that is not so necessary - nice, if reasonably priced, but we prefer to spend our discretionary "luxury" money on real luxuries - not just on slightly larger accommodations or slightly better food.

While Neptunes are our favorite, the Signature represents the best "value" on HAL, especially once you reach 4 Star and get several of the Neptune Perks anyway. The Signatures are not that much smaller than the Neptunes and are more than large enough for the two of us.

We normally book a Signature and then watch for a good "upsell" to a Neptune (seems to happen alot on the Vista ships).

While Neptunes are our favorite, the Signature represents the best "value" on HAL, especially once you reach 4 Star and get several of the Neptune Perks anyway. The Signatures are not that much smaller than the Neptunes and are more than large enough for the two of us.

We normally book a Signature and then watch for a good "upsell" to a Neptune (seems to happen alot on the Vista ships).

What do you do on the S & R ships, Dave? or do you stick with Vista and above if you don't mind me asking?

A Lanai cabin is our preference on the ships where they exist. We like the ability to step out on deck without the heavy price of a balcony. It is a good compromise between the various flavors of "suite" and the ocean view or interior categories. We have found that the patio doors provide excellent privacy since it is pretty much impossible to see in, while still giving a very good view out. The reserved lounge chairs on the promenade deck are worthwhile, and we have found that other passengers respect the "reserved" status. In addition, the mid-ships (both up/down and fore/aft) position makes access to the rest of the public spaces quite convenient.

Overall, a Lanai is a very good compromise, at least for us.

Thanks for putting my reply into words :D:D

We actually do spend a lot of time out on our balcony. DH has mobility issues so it's not unusual to see him out there with his iced tea and a good book.

I like a balcony cabin while going to Alaska with my handicapped friend. He doesn't usually doesn't go out there because it is too cold for him, but all that glass gives him a great view. He is my official whale spotter. :)