NCL Escape 40 pax missed embarkation!

beerman2

I usually do the day before, but did day of for recent cruise from San Juan. Ship didn't leave until 9pm and with the on island hotel situation I think I was better off avoiding that process. Our plane made an unscheduled stop to refuel in Puerto Rico, but we still were onboard a few hours ahead of the 7pm target. I had to do the muster drill the next day, but that was the only downside.

For our spring break cruise we'll be back on track for a day ahead, maybe even two to enjoy the area a bit.

DH always wants at least a day ahead - to allow for delays, lost luggage, cancelled flights, whatever...I then make sure that I am NOT flying through (layover) in a cold weather state/city in the middle of winter or even early spring. That just begs for delays. We are on the Jade 3/23, flying on (landing anyway) on 3/22, we will explore Miami a little. Was able to book a non-stop from San Diego. I didn't even look at anything north of the southern line of states coast to coast.

Booked our next Alaskan cruise for May 2019, out of Seattle...leaves on a Sunday, we will go on Friday night at the latest.

DH always wants at least a day ahead - to allow for delays, lost luggage, cancelled flights, whatever...I then make sure that I am NOT flying through (layover) in a cold weather state/city in the middle of winter or even early spring. That just begs for delays. We are on the Jade 3/23, flying on (landing anyway) on 3/22, we will explore Miami a little. Was able to book a non-stop from San Diego. I didn't even look at anything north of the southern line of states coast to coast.

Booked our next Alaskan cruise for May 2019, out of Seattle...leaves on a Sunday, we will go on Friday night at the latest.

Same here. Last time I flew across the country during winter, I had stop options in Chicago, Denver, Houston, or Phoenix.

I chose Phoenix.

I'm also going to Seattle for my next cruise. From California, if you take the early flights, I really see no reason why you can't fly the same day. I think Southwest just barely opened up booking for my cruise, and I'm planning on flying same day. Even if it isn't the first flight, it's not going to be a drastic delay. You'll still get there in time to be one of the first people onto the ship.

It is ironic that before finding cruise critics. We would always buy or flight from the cruise line. And when are those flights........ same day.

Flying in from montreal, with a connection....... we were always the last on the ship.

I thought they were the experts.

Now we do it ourselves and fly in the day before.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

there is a lot of naive thinking re- "strategies" for choosing flights. You aren't addressing equipment changes, maintenance. etc. Planes don't just fly between 2 routes- and thinking you know the plane won't fly north in the winter. That flight could be coming from ORD/PHL maintenance the night prior etc. Equipment isn't placed on assigned routes forever. Equipment and crew movement is a whole another story.

I fly several times every month. People just seem to think there's a spare 737 sitting in the garage, to replace a weather impacted delay/cancel. Adding-- staff ready to jump on - ready- at the airport.

I would add that I bet those impacted will not fly in the day of the cruise the next time around.

Keith

I'm not so sure I would make that bet.

It sounds like they were made whole by Sunwing, i.e. hotel Saturday night, flight to Jamaica Sunday and boarded Monday. One or two of the 40 might now be more confident in flying in on the day of departure if they use Sunwing or another charter service. And some other person reading this thread might think that they can now fly in the day of departure if they use a charter like Sunwing because if they actually missed the boat Sunwing/charter will take care of them.

We had a situation one time when a group of our church friends were sailing out of L.A. the problem wasn't the flight but the transfers from LAX to the port. The transfer company, Bell, had overbooked that day. Not only us but several from Princess waited hours to get to the port. Fortunately for us we had booked the transfers though NCL< They waited for us, and everything went well. I did feel so bad for many of those cruising with us. Some were in their 80s at the time and a few had never even cruised before. All went well from then on. Well not ALL: as we were entering the freeway by LAX someone noticed the door to the luggage storage area had flown open or I guess better to say, never closed tightly. Some luggage flew out including a bottle of wine I had in one of my suit cases. Believe it or not, it was wine for communion on the ship the next day and it was smashed to bits. After we laughed for awhile and those on the bus who were not part of our group made a few jokes about it being blessed wine everything went smoothly. I will add, that is one way not to have long lines at check in. Everyone else had been on the ship about an hour or more and done the life boat drill.:p

I'm not so sure I would make that bet.

It sounds like they were made whole by Sunwing, i.e. hotel Saturday night, flight to Jamaica Sunday and boarded Monday. One or two of the 40 might now be more confident in flying in on the day of departure if they use Sunwing or another charter service. And some other person reading this thread might think that they can now fly in the day of departure if they use a charter like Sunwing because if they actually missed the boat Sunwing/charter will take care of them.

The A-I resort(s) they put the pax at were reported as Excellent . One pax said he would be willing to spend the rest of the week there. LOL

Bet there was plenty of space at the pool , plenty of food and beverage, etc. etc.

Doubt it but maybe SunWing can/will? change policy. Seems to be the way corps operate now .

For better or worse the pax had a memorable trip!

Hi all!

This has been interesting! I'm hoping for the best with our Sunwing flight next month but nice to know other than the aggravation the result will be fine.

Thinking back to our missed Hawaii sail away I think the airline must have paid for our hotel & flight to the next island, very early the next day as I know for sure we didn't! They also gave us a $100 certificate towards another flight which we never used.

The experience did put a damper on the cruise due to the lack of sleep, missing the sailaway & the excursion at the 1st port where the volcano is. It was a learning experience for sure!;)

~ Jo ~ :)

Ok I hate to admit it but I am so paranoid about something happening to miss the ship, we are staying overnight near the George Washington Bridge. We are from Philadelphia only a 2 hour drive! Of course it doesn't hurt that the cost of the hotel, service to the port and parking my car at the hotel is just about the same price as parking at the port.

The A-I resort(s) they put the pax at were reported as Excellent . One pax said he would be willing to spend the rest of the week there. LOL

Bet there was plenty of space at the pool , plenty of food and beverage, etc. etc.

Doubt it but maybe SunWing can/will? change policy. Seems to be the way corps operate now .

For better or worse the pax had a memorable trip!

From the picture posted it looked like they had a private pool or something and their villa opened right onto it.

It is ironic that before finding cruise critics. We would always buy or flight from the cruise line. And when are those flights........ same day.

Flying in from montreal, with a connection....... we were always the last on the ship.

I thought they were the experts.

Now we do it ourselves and fly in the day before.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

When booking through the cruise line you can request to fly in the day before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When booking through the cruise line you can request to fly in the day before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the first time we booked our air through the cruise line for our December cruise. We told them we wanted to fly in 2 days early and return home the same day the ship docked. That's the way they booked it. Thankfully it all worked out great for us.

• 4 weeks later...
Plenty of people attempt to fly in the day before but then THAT flight gets cancelled. It's too simplistic to chalk it up to....."They shoulda flew in the day before".

So you're at the airport the day before, your flight out gets delayed, delayed, delayed then finally gets cancelled. The airline tells you....."We can't get you out tonight, we'll have to get you on a flight tomorrow". Hmmm, Ok then tomorrow's flights are all full, now getting on ANY flight out is a big problem.

This is how many people get caught. "Shoulda flew in the day before" comments are too naive.

That happened to us in August. 10 people flying into Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise the day before. Flights up and down the east coast were being canceled due to weather. Because of all the cancellations it looked like we wouldn't all make it in time. Luckily, we ended being able to get some of rebooked with the same carrier and some of us with a different carrier (at a lot more $$$) and made it in on time, but it was really stressful! We did get some money back since we bought insurance, but now I think we'll fly in two days before.