Rarotonga, what are chances of tendering in?

bennybear

Our experience is 50-50. The first time we got in and it was great - the second time too windy and from the wrong direction with the strong current so after circling a couple of times it was aborted.

On the 2016 World Cruise we tendered in through a narrow channel cut through the coral at an alternative site on the other side of the island. I doubt they will do that again. One of the tenders was shipwrecked on the coral reef when a wave picked it up & moved it sideways. Some people were injured enough swimming/walking in to the island from the reef to require stitches. The tender was retrieved after it was emptied & hung in its usual place over the Lower Promenade Deck with several very large & deep gashes in the hull. It took most of the trip for them to repair it & get it operational again. You can take a look at the beautiful island & the mishap here:

https://baderjournal.wordpress.com/2016/02/17/rarotonga-cook-islands/

On the 2016 World Cruise we tendered in through a narrow channel cut through the coral at an alternative site on the other side of the island. I doubt they will do that again. One of the tenders was shipwrecked on the coral reef when a wave picked it up & moved it sideways. Some people were injured enough swimming/walking in to the island from the reef to require stitches. The tender was retrieved after it was emptied & hung in its usual place over the Lower Promenade Deck with several very large & deep gashes in the hull. It took most of the trip for them to repair it & get it operational again. You can take a look at the beautiful island & the mishap here:

https://baderjournal.wordpress.com/2016/02/17/rarotonga-cook-islands/

Thanks for the link to your blog, to see some of the scenery that we missed.

Thanks! It doesn’t seem like great odds, and it is a few sea days from Tahiti And back. Strange with the first published HAL itineraries it wasn’t included so I thought that made sense. But the itineraries have been changed and now show Rarotonga.

Thanks! It doesn’t seem like great odds, and it is a few sea days from Tahiti And back. Strange with the first published HAL itineraries it wasn’t included so I thought that made sense. But the itineraries have been changed and now show Rarotonga.

I guess HAL is optimistic. You never know, you might get lucky! It is mainly about the wind that runs along between the ship and the docking area.

It's a shame that with sure poor odds that HAL continues to put it on the itinerary. There do seem to be other equally nice places they could substitute.

Princess used todo this and rarely got in. It seems strange that it wasn’t on the original itinerary but was later added. They also dropped Fakarava, don’t know if that is good or bad.

Back in 2008 - mid winter - we had a lovely day ashore in Raro.

Early voyage of P&O Au. Pacific Dawn under command of Princess master Andrew Froude.

We did 14 ports in 28 days & all 7 tender ports went off without a hitch.

It is by far the friendliest & least expensive of south Pacific cruise ports.

Cruise ships do NOT anchor, it's too deep - they hold position with the thrusters & give a lee for the tenders.

Currency is NZ$ - local Black Pearls are available at a fraction of Tahiti prices.

A round island bus service runs in each direction every hour.

In February 2010, the Rotterdam was not able to negotiate Rarotonga. Word was that a tender staff member had his elbow crushed by the tender trying to board passengers. The stop was immediately canceled. The crew member was taken to the island’s hospital.

In February 2010, the Rotterdam was not able to negotiate Rarotonga. Word was that a tender staff member had his elbow crushed by the tender trying to board passengers. The stop was immediately canceled. The crew member was taken to the island’s hospital.

In March 2010 we spent a lovely day there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on that cruise. We had a shore excursion scheduled but my DH looked at the rain and waves and said no way. I decided to tender over anyway as I really wanted to see Rarotonga. Met a lady coming off the tender and she said the water was so rough she just stayed on and came back. I was sure I was more intrepid than that so I boarded (which was no picnic) and took my seat. We were bouncing so badly I could hardly keep from sliding on to the floor. When we arrived, the gentleman in front of me got one foot ashore, a wave hit, and he did a major split. I decided right then that I did not want to finish the cruise with broken bones. I found out on my return that shore excursions were cancelled, DH said “told ya!”

St. Louis Sal

I was on that cruise. We had a shore excursion scheduled but my DH looked at the rain and waves and said no way. I decided to tender over anyway as I really wanted to see Rarotonga. Met a lady coming off the tender and she said the water was so rough she just stayed on and came back. I was sure I was more intrepid than that so I boarded (which was no picnic) and took my seat. We were bouncing so badly I could hardly keep from sliding on to the floor. When we arrived, the gentleman in front of me got one foot ashore, a wave hit, and he did a major split. I decided right then that I did not want to finish the cruise with broken bones. I found out on my return that shore excursions were cancelled, DH said “told ya!”

St. Louis Sal

Yikes! I am not that intrepid. I just hope they cancel well ahead if it’s not to be. I was really happy when I first saw the itinerary as it didn’t include Rarotonga. Now I am really wondering why they have added it in?