fyree39

Why did you decide to retire when you did?

We retired when we did for three reasons. Main reason was we had the funds/pension to retire. Second reason is we wanted to travel. Third reason is I wanted a German Shepherd Dog ASAP, but after we did most of our traveling. All was proceeding as scheduled until I checked the local animal shelter. Saw a GSD and long story short I have my dog, and we don't travel as much as we wanted to. Oh well, I don't regret it for one moment.

We probably had enough to retire on 3 to 5 years before I retired, but I was enjoying my job and had some projects underway that I really wanted to finish. Also, I wanted to have more margin before retiring. I knew some people who retired in 2007 and then worried a lot when they took a hit from the recession in 2008. It is a bit jarring when you go to Best Buy at the holiday season and see your colleague working there because their retirement wasn't as secure as they thought.

Around fall of 2016, I was finishing the projects that I really wanted to complete and started feeling like I was mentally ready. We were in good financial position for it. My husband was turning 70 in 2017 and would start collecting his Social Security. In 2018, I would reach full retirement age and could start collecting my spousal SS with a restricted application (that's been sunsetted so it isn't available for those born after 1953) and then switch to my own SS when I turned 70.

It made sense to wait until I turned 65 in the summer of 2017 so I could go directly from my employee insurance to Medicare. That was initially the date I was thinking of retiring. However, employee bonus is in December and I had deferred compensation that would vest in March. I decided to wait for those and then retire when the next bonus was 9 months away rather than just around the corner.

I retired in early April to get employee medical coverage for the whole of April and started Medicare in May.

Retired at 69. Got tired of the stress. Haven’t regretted one minute. It takes a leep of faith. DH had retired at 56.

In 2018, I would reach full retirement age and could start collecting my spousal SS with a restricted application (that's been sunsetted so it isn't available for those born after 1953) and then switch to my own SS when I turned 70.

That's what I'll be doing...having my SS based on my ex-hubby's income, which has always been higher than mine. I just squeaked under the deadline, having a 1953 birthday! Since I'll only get 1/2 of his, I'll have to kick in a little of my 401K money, but then at 70 I can get my highest amount. Good plan!! ;)

retired when the company basically said "if you are 55 and older and have been here for 20 years or more then take this offer or we will lay you off" - I was 60 and had been there 35 so away I left.

I have read through this entire thread and there are so many interesting stories and rationales. My last day in the office will be this Friday after 13,550 days (37 years, 1 month, 5 days). At 58, I feel very lucky to be able to stop the "9-5", or more like the "7-6". I will spend more time with my wife of 35 years and our 2 grandsons. Will I "work" again? It's not the primary plan but we will see. Of course after the cruises we have scheduled in the next 9 months.

One interesting thought I read in one of the hundreds and hundreds of articles I read was by a husband who was retiring "early" and his concern was "I hope my wife likes me" . I am eager to find out the same thing :D:D:D.

mac_tlc

mac_tic you and your spouse will love each other just as much. Looks like you have a full plate over the next six months

I worked past retirement mostly because I enjoyed my work, workmates and boss.

One day it occured to me that at my age, anytime, I could suffer a stroke and wind up sitting in a wheelchair in a corner for a very long time....not having done any of the traveling that we had talked about.

Last year we did South America, next fall we go to Tahiti...the bucket list is shrinking. (y)

I think you will like Tahiti. It is my all time favorite place to visit. We stayed in an over-the-water bungalow at the Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa. Attached are a couple of pix from that trip.

IMG_0381.thumb.jpg.5cf619f3045fcf55db2faa95316d0bfb.jpg

IMG_0363.thumb.jpg.541b0cf65ba15f0e8133cfa074bb2d4f.jpg

IMG_0459.thumb.jpg.e325b2ee96513f99c596ab065c85d8ee.jpg

I have read through this entire thread and there are so many interesting stories and rationales. My last day in the office will be this Friday after 13,550 days (37 years, 1 month, 5 days). At 58, I feel very lucky to be able to stop the "9-5", or more like the "7-6". I will spend more time with my wife of 35 years and our 2 grandsons. Will I "work" again? It's not the primary plan but we will see. Of course after the cruises we have scheduled in the next 9 months.

One interesting thought I read in one of the hundreds and hundreds of articles I read was by a husband who was retiring "early" and his concern was "I hope my wife likes me" . I am eager to find out the same thing :D:D:D

mac_tlc

You will be just fine and your wife will love it. We are similar, I retired at 58 also after 35+ years. The company had a chance in CEO's three years before I retired. The new guy also was the manager of a hedge fund which owned a large share of the company. So the conflict of interest was there from the start. After about a year he asked our group to renegotiate some long term contracts we had with valued vendors. I advised him that the contacts had a couple of additional years to run and his instructions were that we needed to find a way to break them. So that along with some other items that I found to be unethical, or at least beyond my ethics made me decide to quite. I worked up the numbers and figured that I could leave. You never know how much time you have and didn't want to be someone who died at their desk.

One problem, my wife continued to teach school for a year and a half and so wanting to share the home upkeep I became a Mr. Mom and started doing the cooking while she worked. Well 12 years later I am still doing the cooking.....has become kind of a hobby but was not my original plan.

So enjoy the time and be thankful that you can go and enjoy your life and lots of cruises.

I retired when my financial planner told me one day “You know, you don’t have to work if you don’t want to. Is there something else you’d like to do besides work?” I was 51 yrs old, working at a job I actually liked a lot, but I’d also been working constantly since I was 19. I had lucked out and landed a job doing database design for Amazon in Seattle in 1997 — one of those serendipitous “right place, right time” things. I hadn’t discovered the joys of cruise travel yet, and what I wanted to do most of all was get my undergrad degree in music. I gave it a lot of thought, had my planner run the numbers with many variables — my biggest fear was ending up as a bag lady when I’m 84. Numbers looked good, so I retired in June 2003, and started classes as a full time student in September 2003.

Finally got all the education stuff out of the way 2003-2010 (BA in composition, conducting, & vocal performance; M.Mus in music history & literature; ABD for a D.Mus in conducting). Took my first cruise in September 2017; have 5 more booked.[emoji1] kind of making up for lost time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Congrats!

I will be retiring at the end of the year. I was going to stay till I was 56, another 2 years. I have 34 years. However, as many have said tomorrow is never guaranteed. I was recently diagnoised with cancer. I plan to travel like I planned while I can with my husband. Sure the money will be less, but I crunched the figures, and we should be fine. My advice, is retire if you can afford to.

After the 3rd time that my side mirrors on my mini van were stolen (South Bronx school, street parking). Walking into my principal's office and told him I was leaving. Had the age and years working.

I have the option to retire in April. However, were I to do so, I'd make about 20% less per month. Part of me says it's more important to enjoy my retirement for as long as I can rather than get more money. In either case, I'll be earning enough to live on.

What made you decide it was time?

It was decided for me .I was "downsized" after 25 years with the company.

I have medically retired after having back and shoulder problems which are slowly getting worse. Living on a disability pension these days. Well below retirement age though - 49 years old.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forums mobile app

I'm very envious of all of you on this thread. Due to a failed business and lots of $ down the drain, I will be working at least until 70. I am starting to realize that there might be health issues that could limit the joys of retirement by then, but such is life. I have 8 years to go! Luckily, I like my job...but it would be good to work because one wants to, not because one has to.

I will be retiring at the end of the year. I was going to stay till I was 56, another 2 years. I have 34 years. However, as many have said tomorrow is never guaranteed. I was recently diagnoised with cancer. I plan to travel like I planned while I can with my husband. Sure the money will be less, but I crunched the figures, and we should be fine. My advice, is retire if you can afford to.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Have wonderful travels, enjoy the journeys.

If all goes well, I plan to retire in 3 years, 3 months, but who's counting? :p I'm wary about looking forward to it too much because that's when the unexpected happens. *knock wood*

I'm one of the lucky ones and have a pension, although with only 20 years at this job, it will only be about half my salary. I'll be 63 and with other retirement funds supplementing my pension and my medical covered until 65 and medicare kicks in, the plan is to wait until I'm 70 to start drawing social security. And to travel. I want to be able to pick up and go when a good deal comes along on a trip.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Have wonderful travels, enjoy the journeys.

Thank you. I am looking at this as a new adventure with lots of wonderful opportunities.:cool:

I'm very envious of all of you on this thread. Due to a failed business and lots of $ down the drain, I will be working at least until 70. I am starting to realize that there might be health issues that could limit the joys of retirement by then, but such is life. I have 8 years to go! Luckily, I like my job...but it would be good to work because one wants to, not because one has to.

I am very much like you. Aerospace took a huge hit in the last recession, and virtually none of the companies offer pensions anymore unless they have employed you since the 80's or 90's. So my plan is also to work to 70 to get the max SS and to max out my 401K and HSA. I do love my job due to the people I work with, but I also wish I could do my volunteer work full time. That has always been my true passion.

From experience, I have seen FAR too many people put off retirement, look forward to it, then die before they retire. I don't ever think I have seen anyone retire but wish they hadn't. Maybe I have because they claim they are bored. So I always say, retire as soon as you feel you comfortably can. Also, what works well for many people is don't make it either/or. If you can, why not switch to 50% part-time? That is what I basically do when I semi-retired at 57. If you can go part-time, it really lets you try things out without fully committing.

Don't forget, there are several options, one of them is to decide to live on less. And remember, WHEN you take SS really has nothing to do with retiring. Maybe you could work part-time now, and with savings, that will get you to 70 when you can start taking SS. Or maybe work to 65, start taking Medicare, and still wait til 70 to take SS. There are some options. Maybe a few hours with a fee-only retirement planner might be worth it.

From experience, I have seen FAR too many people put off retirement, look forward to it, then die before they retire. I don't ever think I have seen anyone retire but wish they hadn't. Maybe I have because they claim they are bored. So I always say, retire as soon as you feel you comfortably can. Also, what works well for many people is don't make it either/or. If you can, why not switch to 50% part-time? That is what I basically do when I semi-retired at 57. If you can go part-time, it really lets you try things out without fully committing.

I always thought I'd love to stay on my job as a part-timer. Unfortunately, that type of position wasn't available. So, it was either full-time or I'm-outta-there. I chose outta-there. :D

A couple of weeks after I retired I had an opportunity to apply for a part-time on-call job doing some of the same things I used to do, only with a contractor rather than the federal government. I applied, got an interview, and got the job. The next 7 days while waiting for the offer letter I thought about what "on-call" meant. In my interview the interviewer, who would also be my boss, reminded me that part-time on-call meant weekends, holidays, midnight shifts, and so forth. I brooded over all of that and decided I didn't retire to work horrible hours. I emailed him this past Sunday night and told him I changed my mind.

I officially retired on June 30th of this year. It's only been a month, but I'm here to tell you I'm loving the daily dose of absolutely NO stress!

I am very much like you. Aerospace took a huge hit in the last recession, and virtually none of the companies offer pensions anymore unless they have employed you since the 80's or 90's. So my plan is also to work to 70 to get the max SS and to max out my 401K and HSA. I do love my job due to the people I work with, but I also wish I could do my volunteer work full time. That has always been my true passion.

You are so right about pensions. Life for me took a funny, and opportunistic, turn in my 40s. I was separated from my husband and unemployed. Here I am in my late 40s trying to start over again. I landed a job on our local Navy base with a contractor and in the same month was accepted back into the Navy as an enlisted reservist. Within 6 months my contractor job turned into a federal job. Here it is 13 years later and I was able to retire from the government AND the reserves. Being a prior active duty sailor I was able to tack that time onto my federal employment, which is why I retired after only 13 years on the job.

In any case, those two things each gave me a monthly pension. I also have a 401K from the federal job and an IRA I opened back in the early '90s. Both of those are pretty tiny, but it's income I can use later on in my retirement. Add in SS and I feel I'll be set.

Honestly, if it weren't for the two pensions, I'd still be working.

I always thought I'd love to stay on my job as a part-timer. Unfortunately, that type of position wasn't available. So, it was either full-time or I'm-outta-there. I chose outta-there. :D

A couple of weeks after I retired I had an opportunity to apply for a part-time on-call job doing some of the same things I used to do, only with a contractor rather than the federal government. I applied, got an interview, and got the job. The next 7 days while waiting for the offer letter I thought about what "on-call" meant. In my interview the interviewer, who would also be my boss, reminded me that part-time on-call meant weekends, holidays, midnight shifts, and so forth. I brooded over all of that and decided I didn't retire to work horrible hours. I emailed him this past Sunday night and told him I changed my mind.

I officially retired on June 30th of this year. It's only been a month, but I'm here to tell you I'm loving the daily dose of absolutely NO stress!

It can't always work out for everyone, depending on what your profession is. I'm lucky because for me I work about 6 months a year full-time, then I have 6 months off. For me its better than say 20 hours a week year-round. But everyone has to decide what works for them.

You are so right about pensions. Life for me took a funny, and opportunistic, turn in my 40s. I was separated from my husband and unemployed. Here I am in my late 40s trying to start over again. I landed a job on our local Navy base with a contractor and in the same month was accepted back into the Navy as an enlisted reservist. Within 6 months my contractor job turned into a federal job. Here it is 13 years later and I was able to retire from the government AND the reserves. Being a prior active duty sailor I was able to tack that time onto my federal employment, which is why I retired after only 13 years on the job.

In any case, those two things each gave me a monthly pension. I also have a 401K from the federal job and an IRA I opened back in the early '90s. Both of those are pretty tiny, but it's income I can use later on in my retirement. Add in SS and I feel I'll be set.

Honestly, if it weren't for the two pensions, I'd still be working.

Yeah, there are very few non-government jobs left that offer pensions. My generation is the first where most non-government people will only have what they can save themselves to live off of. If we get another "Great Recession" between now and when we have enough to retire, we will all wind up dying at our desks in our 80's or 90's, or starving.

Loved reading thru this thread. The DH and I are are ready to retire but we can’t yet. We have to wait till 65. At that time I get a pension and won’t get it unless I stay. I can also then get insurance supplement free for me, reduced for DH. We have other retirement accounts but need insurance till Medicare. I would give up too many good benefits to leave early.

I’ve been a nurse for 39 years. I’m tired and 12 hour shifts are rough. I’m forced to take call which can push the hours to 48 hours a week. I love what I do but afraid the next 4 years and 9 months may kill me....( yes I’m already counting.)

We can’t wait.....travel, see the grandkids in other states, me go to church every week, no more working weekends and holidays, work on projects I’ve wanted to do for years. Right now I barely keep my head above water. The DH works from home about 50% of the time and travels the rest. We really like each other so no worries there.

Cheers to those of you who are already there! If we had a way out we’d be with you now!

Loved reading thru this thread. The DH and I are are ready to retire but we can’t yet. We have to wait till 65. At that time I get a pension and won’t get it unless I stay. I can also then get insurance supplement free for me, reduced for DH. We have other retirement accounts but need insurance till Medicare. I would give up too many good benefits to leave early.

I’ve been a nurse for 39 years. I’m tired and 12 hour shifts are rough. I’m forced to take call which can push the hours to 48 hours a week. I love what I do but afraid the next 4 years and 9 months may kill me....( yes I’m already counting.)

We can’t wait.....travel, see the grandkids in other states, me go to church every week, no more working weekends and holidays, work on projects I’ve wanted to do for years. Right now I barely keep my head above water. The DH works from home about 50% of the time and travels the rest. We really like each other so no worries there.

Cheers to those of you who are already there! If we had a way out we’d be with you now!

I can really relate to what you are saying, cruiselvr04. I started counting down five years before I retired at 62 in 2014. My wife (also a nurse) retired at 65 last year. Like you she elected to stay because she would have had to give up too many benefits if she left before she turned 65. It was hard for both of us to wait until we could retire, but we are both glad we did. So... hang in there. The day is coming when get to do all of the things you hope to do in retirement. (Jer. 29:11)

We can’t wait.....travel, see the grandkids in other states, me go to church every week, no more working weekends and holidays, work on projects

Totally understand! Several of us on this thread are nurses. I'm 65 and still doing 12 hr shifts as a staff nurse....I've always been full time, but am going part time in 6 weeks....then I'm retiring 3 months later. 3 weeks after I retire, I'm leaving on a 6 month cruise around the world. Nursing is a great career but it sure can break down your body!!

God bless all of you who have retired and bless those hanging on waiting to retire. This thread is so wonderful to read. The stories I have read are inspiring and heartfelt. Enjoy you day and the week. Have fun no matter where you are or what you do.

dh retired from the Army after 24 years in 2005. With the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan at the time, some soldiers were doing 2 rotations in 5 years, meaning they were gone from their families for a year at a time. dh was working entire weekends in addition to his civilian job (he was reserves at the time) and it actually caused us to go deep into debt mainly because the per diem wasn't paying nearly enough. The Army would pay him for overnight travel and accommodations if he had to travel more than 110 miles each way and his mileage was just under that. But I knew how much he enjoyed being in the military. The final blow came when they told him he wouldn't be getting into a school he needed to get promoted any time soon, that priority was going to soldiers going out and soldiers coming in. I guess they thought he sat around and surfed the web or something. I finally said enough was enough and nagged him to retire. We BOTH did our time. :mad:

He is due to retire from his current job in 7-10 years, depending on things. We are currently living just west of St Louis to help take care of my mil but if she's gone by that time we are moving back down south. So ready; not crazy about midwest weather.

I retired last June at age 64. I had 41 years as an educator; the last 17 as an administrator. I was at maximum percentage for the last two years so when my boss (who was outstanding) said he was retiring I said it's time for me to go. I didn't feel like dealing with a new boss. Funny thing happened when I retired. I have been offered and have taken multiple consulting and university teaching jobs. These positions have been so lucrative that we can travel often. Now if my dh would just retire we could travel even more often.

I retired last June at age 64. I had 41 years as an educator; the last 17 as an administrator. I was at maximum percentage for the last two years so when my boss (who was outstanding) said he was retiring I said it's time for me to go. I didn't feel like dealing with a new boss. Funny thing happened when I retired. I have been offered and have taken multiple consulting and university teaching jobs. These positions have been so lucrative that we can travel often. Now if my dh would just retire we could travel even more often.

Good for you!

Just think of the things you won't have to pay for when you retire! Liability insurance, association fees, licensure fees, extra gas for meetings, scrubs, food to prepare for those never ending potlucks, CEU costs, gifts for every wedding, baby, holiday or tragedy, donation of vacation hours to someone who has blown through theirs, donation to United way and employee giving fund for the hospital.I'm sure there are others. I don't do it anymore, but a lot of my coworkers order out for lunch or buy their food on site. I used to order from everyone's children for their school fundraisers or order Longaberger baskets, Tupperware, Scentsy, Girl Scout cookies, Boy Scout Popcorn, Pampered chef stuff,...

I will have 37 years in my current unit and 44 as a nurse when I leave.

Speaking of things which you won't have to pay for when you retire, here are 2 things from Kiplingers that you might find interesting having to do with spending during retirement. One other thing to be thinking about depending on both your personal health and finances is whether to wait until as late as 70 to start drawing Socil Security. Do look into it and see if it's good for you.

Tom

10 Things You’ll Spend More on in Retirement.pdf

10 Things You’ll Spend Less on in Retirement.pdf

Speaking of things which you won't have to pay for when you retire, here are 2 things from Kiplingers that you might find interesting having to do with spending during retirement. One other thing to be thinking about depending on both your personal health and finances is whether to wait until as late as 70 to start drawing Socil Security. Do look into it and see if it's good for you.

Tom

Very interesting reads. Unfortunately, I believe we'll aways have a mortgage. :(

Very interesting reads. Unfortunately, I believe we'll aways have a mortgage. :(

Maybe you'll win a lottery and be able to pay it off. :p BTW, Sing up at Kiplinger.com for some of their daily newsletters, they have some useful tips, for retirees as well as non-retirees, and they're free.

Tom

Maybe you'll win a lottery and be able to pay it off. :p BTW, Sing up at Kiplinger.com for some of their daily newsletters, they have some useful tips, for retirees as well as non-retirees, and they're free.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I'll do that now.

I work for a school system and have teacher retirement to look forward to. I will be eligible to retire at or close to 60. Hubby can retire at the same time. Our home is already paid for, so we are spending the next 8-9 yrs preparing for what we hope to be a fun retirement. If we can afford to grab some of the cheap cruise deals out of Florida with a more expensive trip overseas every now and then, I'll be over the moon!

I'm 68 and right now I don't plan to retire until the end of next year and if looks like a good year for bonus I will work into 2020.

I love my job - it has many perks including working from home, (even though I do travel about 35 nights per year that is way down from what it used to be.) I've been with my company for 38 years, so I get a lot of paid vacation and I can pretty much travel any time I want.

My biggest concern is what I will do when I retire. I don't think I will travel for leisure any more than I already do. I really have no ida how I will fill up my hours. If I'm going to fill my hours with something it might as well be work. I like to work - the idea of sitting in font of the TV for hours makes my head spin. I already have lunch with friends several times a week and play Trivia one night a week, every week.

Oh heck, I may work forever - LOL.

I'm 68 and right now I don't plan to retire until the end of next year and if looks like a good year for bonus I will work into 2020.

I love my job - it has many perks including working from home, (even though I do travel about 35 nights per year that is way down from what it used to be.) I've been with my company for 38 years, so I get a lot of paid vacation and I can pretty much travel any time I want.

My biggest concern is what I will do when I retire. I don't think I will travel for leisure any more than I already do. I really have no ida how I will fill up my hours. If I'm going to fill my hours with something it might as well be work. I like to work - the idea of sitting in font of the TV for hours makes my head spin. I already have lunch with friends several times a week and play Trivia one night a week, every week.

Oh heck, I may work forever - LOL.

You should continue working as long as you enjoy it. It really doesn’t sound like you’re at all ready to retire. You can explore volunteer opportunities, continuing ed and clubs in preparation for retirement.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mek, if you like your job and you work from home for your company; then stick with it. If you still traveled over 100 plus days a year; then that could factor into your decision. I retired in July and am busy. Everyone seems to want me to do stuff for them. I do enjoy helping people out; but I need some me time too, Enjoy your life