fyree39

Why did you decide to retire when you did?

I'm 68 and right now I don't plan to retire until the end of next year and if looks like a good year for bonus I will work into 2020.

I love my job - it has many perks including working from home, (even though I do travel about 35 nights per year that is way down from what it used to be.) I've been with my company for 38 years, so I get a lot of paid vacation and I can pretty much travel any time I want.

My biggest concern is what I will do when I retire. I don't think I will travel for leisure any more than I already do. I really have no ida how I will fill up my hours. If I'm going to fill my hours with something it might as well be work. I like to work - the idea of sitting in font of the TV for hours makes my head spin. I already have lunch with friends several times a week and play Trivia one night a week, every week.

Oh heck, I may work forever - LOL.

You sound a little bit like my father....but he's 89 yrs old and still works fulltime from home! He can't understand why I'm going to retire (I'm 65 and will retire in 4 months). But our situations are very different.

He has always found his identity through his occupation, does not have any friends, does not have any hobbies or interests, no exercise and has never had much interaction with his children or grandchildren. His occupation has always been done sitting at a desk all day....very sedentary. In addition, he has never saved a dime of his high 6-figure salary and still has a mortgage, car payment, etc.

While I love my occupation, I'm much more interested in being involved with my friends and family....I have 4 children and 14 grandchildren, and enjoy going to their sports games and being a part of their lives. My occupation is extremely active/physical....I walk 3-5 miles/day during 12 hr shifts! Having done this for nearly 30 yrs has really given my body a beating. I'm so excited to be able to travel more, spend more time doing my hobbies and being able to work out at the Y regularly. I've saved up a huge retirement fund during my career and live a very frugal lifestyle. 3 weeks after I retire I'll be taking a 6 month long world cruise!

So, some people can physically keep working until they die and others would die just trying to work that long. I want to enjoy the rest of my life, but not sitting in the rocking chair watching TV....I'll be as active as before but getting to do all the things that bring me joy. :D

Being retired, your week consists of 6 Saturdays and Sunday for church and rest.

I'm looking forward to this!

I will be retiring on October 1, 2021. It's the first day I'm eligible to retire (the first of the month after I turn 55 and have at least 10 years at the company). When I was about 50, I thought, "what if I get cold feet when I decide to retire? I mean, I would have no income and I will be using all the money!" Fast forward a couple of years and my job turns to mush... things I get complimented for a year ago are now nitpicked at for needing improvement; projects thrown at me out of the blue and then questioned why I'm not the subject matter expert; given a client group and projects that no one else wants (we've shopped them around) and then asked why I'm having problems w/my work; oh and a load more. THEN I start thinking, "when's the first day I can retire?"

While things have improved a little bit, it's too late because I'm now looking forward to retirement, so I'm not going to change my mind about that. I would actually retire earlier except I discovered how great our company's retirement medical benefits were. For every year after 45, they put aside money for me and my husband. This money would supplement a percentage of our healthcare premiums each month... by the time I retire, that pot will be around $135K. If it wasn't for that, I would have quit about 6 months ago.

My mom died when she was 62. She was hospitalized soon after she decided not to work anymore, received her first SS check about a month later, went into a coma about 2 weeks after that, and died a month after. I hope to have some years where I no longer work.

Those are some awesome benefits boltnut! I get nothing for medical at retirement and I too am noticing a shift in my work environment that has me counting the weeks...199 to be exact :) I sometimes feel guilty about wanting to retire but I will,be 65 then and my own mother passed away at 68. We are busy paring down our cost of living by getting rid of things like satellite TV and radio. We still want to travel and look forward to being able to go when we want and stay as long as we desire ( and can afford). I look forward to not dreading returning to work after a day off. :D

I look forward to not dreading returning to work after a day off. :D

I say this to myself every time I return from a vacation!

I retired in August 2015 at age 60 after 38 years with my company. I am lucky enough to have a pension as well as subsidy for health insurance until I am medicare eligible. My subsidy is pretty significant so my out of pocket for health insurance is less than $200 per month. For 20 plus years I commuted 2 hours a day each way, worked 8 hours a day in the office, traveled for work, worked on the train and when I got home and periodically on weekends. Some weeks, I was working 80 hours or more. In the spring of 2014 I was sitting in a meeting in the home office and they were going on and on about the "exciting" changes that they were making to our jobs. The "exciting" changes meant more work that I was definitely not interested in doing. On my way home from that meeting, I called my boss and told her I was retiring and gave her my retirement date. I have never regretted that decision.

Retired in 2001 at 40 years old from my work in America and moved to SE Asia. But after about a year of retirement got bored and start a couple of small businesses here in Asia. Only work a few hours a day and take whatever vacations I want so really I consider myself retired now with hobbies.

I retired in August 2015 at age 60 after 38 years with my company. I am lucky enough to have a pension as well as subsidy for health insurance until I am medicare eligible. My subsidy is pretty significant so my out of pocket for health insurance is less than $200 per month. For 20 plus years I commuted 2 hours a day each way, worked 8 hours a day in the office, traveled for work, worked on the train and when I got home and periodically on weekends. Some weeks, I was working 80 hours or more. In the spring of 2014 I was sitting in a meeting in the home office and they were going on and on about the "exciting" changes that they were making to our jobs. The "exciting" changes meant more work that I was definitely not interested in doing. On my way home from that meeting, I called my boss and told her I was retiring and gave her my retirement date. I have never regretted that decision.

Good for you. Thanks for sharing your story

I retired at age 61 after 43 years in sales. I just turned 65. I got real tired of corporate politics. My wife retired in March after 44 years in the banking industry. Our focus now is family and travel. We would love to cruise more than once a year, but as were from Canada, the cost to fly to the US ports and the currency exchange rate force us to be creative with our travel dollars.

I, too am a nurse working full time. I'm 62 yrs old, debating when to quit. My DH, (also a nurse) 11 yrs older than me, spent the last 10 years of his full time working life saying, "I can't wait to retire." I told him he was wishing his life away. He was retired 6 months and bored to death. He went back to work part time and has been doing part time on-call circulating C-sections for 8 years now, just enough to enjoy it and not enough to dread it. He makes more per month than I do, as he has SS, his part time income and his military retirement. He hasn't even touched his 401K yet. I'll only have my 401K and eventually, SS. Right now, I have my commercial medical insurance and Tricare, while he has my commercial medical, Tricare and Medicare for health care. Plus, I have 4 more years on my national Psych certification. I'm thinking I'll wait till it expires and then say Toodle-oo, but some days at the end of a shift, I have some serious second thoughts.

With me working, we can comfortably swing 2 cruises per year, sometimes 3. I don't want to retire and have to sit home and garden; that's not me. I don't want to have to tighten our belts, but I do have to think of his age and what could start to go wrong with his health. So for now, I'm going to take it year by year.

Betty just remember that there are no guarantees. 115 days after my wife was diagnosed, she was gone.

When she was with me, we tightened our belts and took vacations and cruises when we could. Delaying can get to be a habit.

I won't die with much money but I have great memories.

Nick, yes you're absolutely right. For now, tho, DH says he's fine with me putting it off and says he'll tell me when he thinks I need to be home with him. I think we'll both know.

As always, everyone should do what makes them happiest. I wish the both of you joy and good fortune in your vacations and work.

A manager I did not like and an environment that reflected her poor work ethnics.

Laura

This is the exact reason why I retired!

I love it being retired... When people ask me what I do all day...I just say:\ whatever I want! Now if I could only get my workaholic DH to retire!

Retired in December 2012 at 55 yrs of age. Just finished a large project and had no desire to start another one. Could have stayed 4 more years to maximise the pension. Also started a consulting business, with some crazy idea of possibly picking up some small projects.

Fortunately common sense prevailed and the company ceased operations with zero revenue. While I received a few offers, never had the time to accept them - too busy cruising around the world and RV'ing across N/America.

Retired in 2014 when I was 62 years young after 39 years 5 months 3 days with the federal government.  

As I was nearing my 56th birthday, my DW came home from work one day (she was a Classroom teacher for over thirty years) and said "I have had it!"  She then told me she was going to retire that June (about 6 months away) before she strangled somebody (she was talking about the administration...not the children).  I thought about it for a few hours, did a review of our financial situation and said, Why Not"   The next morning I walked into my bosses office (she shares the same first name as DW), closed her door, and told her I was going to retire in June (giving her about 6 months notice).  We retired one day apart, and two days later were off on a long European cruise and driving trip.  We had spent our lives as active travelers, so we were not kids in a candy store.  Since retiring 13 years ago we have managed to travel (mostly internationally) for about 6-7 months a year including 75 - 110 cruise days.

Hank

The first time I retired was in early '87. My wife and I were both in the military and both were deployable and it was becoming harder to provide care for our young son the way we wanted to, so since I was already able to retire I did so, even though I loved what I was doing. I turned into a house-husband and took care of our son. I ended up working at the school our son attended and did that until my wife got reassigned to another location a couple of years later. After 3-4 years there she was eligible to retire and we ended back in Washington state where we owned a home. Once there, I went to work for the USPS and she took a job at our church as the parish administrator. To make a long story short, I worked at the post office for 10 years and then saw an advertisement for a contract job in Kuwait and ended up going overseas three times in about a 5-year period, coming back home for about a year each time and working at a big box hardware store. After coming home the last time from overseas, I finally said "that's it" and became for all practical purposes, retired. About four years after that my wife and I both "fell into" a job working for a cruise line at a pier nearby. The pay wasn't the greatest, but the job was interesting as heck and we enjoyed the people we worked with and that we met at work. Four years later the cruise line stopped doing their own pier operations and a third party company took over the job and we went to them. Still work ther during the cruise season becuase it's still a fun job and we're still meeting lots of interesting people.  Plus, we now have a new pastime, cruising.  Will we ever fully retire?  Who knows!

Tom

Barring anything catastrophic, my last day is May 29, 2020.  I am just tired of the grind.  I have Accounting skills so I am going to do temp work.  I will be able to afford to work when I want to to support my travel habit.  

Spouse became ill, I became a caregiver. Hubby pasted, but now have a mother who needs a caregiver. Work and put family in nursing home, or retire and care for family. Retired.