Need Help Regarding Pre-Cruise Hotels, Transportation, Tours in Rome

DragonOfTheSeas

This is an excellent possibility. . . . are there any other suggestions out there?

If you are doing a private transfer then depending on what time you want to leave Rome and what time you want to get to the ship then there are a lot of things available to you that aren't technically on the way...

We also left on a Monday from around the Pantheon around 9 AM. We went northwards for about an hour and arrived at Sacro Bosco di Bomarzo (Monsters Park) which is a very unique sculpture garden. We spent about 2 hours in the garden after which we drove to Tarquinia (about an hour drive) for a light lunch. As Marazul noted, the town is dead on Mondays but they are happy to see tourists! After that it's a 30 minute drive down to the port. I think we arrived around 2:30 pm at the ship.

Other things that our travel agent suggested and I declined because I thought they would be too far away but now I know they would be doable:

- Civita di Bagnoregio

- Orvieto

- If it wasn't a Monday, Villa Lante near Viterbo or Villa Farnese are possibilities (or both!)

If you're worried about time Lake Bracciano is definitely more in a direct route towards Civitavecchia but almost the whole of northern Lazio is available to you if you have a private transfer. The Sacro Bosco for me was one of the surprise highlights of our last cruise and I'm glad I listened to the travel agent and took the detour. After we had already gone I started seeing the Garden mentioned in all sorts of other places including the Dali museum in Figueres, Spain and the Atlas Obscura that a friend gave to me as a present. If you love the off beat, this garden has to be high up on the list. The crooked house had the three of us smiling and laughing the whole time we explored it... One thing I would suggest is getting a guide that is familiar with the history because there are a couple of "stories" that run through the entire garden that probably made our experience that much more special and connects all of the statues together.

First thank you for starting this thread - I will be following any advice given.

We will be starting our cruise from Rome. We have nearly two years to research and plan and I am always searching for ideas.

We plan on going to Ostia post cruise and also spending the night at a hotel airport before our early morning flight home.

My DH is the one that wants to stop at any and all churches. Me, I love the history. We cruised Italy in 2015 and I have been wanting to go back since then.

You mentioned Pompeii - I really enjoyed my time there, the others thought it was ok but that was their thoughts on the Forum in Rome also. I am wired differently then they are because I could envision the whole whole thing. A lot of that is because I love the history but I read Rick Steves and he brings it to life if that makes sense.

Anyway I will definitely be following this thread.

I would not miss Pompéi. Anyone who finds it boring is probably not interested in history or doesn’t like to bring things to life themselves.

We spent several hours there on an excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Spree-

Those are good ideas, but the OP is arriving at FCO and going to the Civi for a cruise leaving the next day. I don't know what day of the week that would be.

My suggestions work for an airport to Civi transfer with sightseeing in between. Then overnight and easy morning in Civi before boarding.

Yours work if they go from the airport to Rome and then do the sightseeing next day from Rome to Civi. (They are going back to Rome after the cruise.) BTW, I

think the Sacro Bosco is really fun and weird.

It's good to consider both alternatives, especially after a long flight from California to Italy.

Edited by marazul

I would not miss Pompéi. Anyone who finds it boring is probably not interested in history or doesn’t like to bring things to life themselves.

We spent several hours there on an excursion.

I agree 100% with you!

Spree-

Those are good ideas, but the OP is arriving at FCO and going to the Civi for a cruise leaving the next day. I don't know what day of the week that would be.

I thought it might help if I repost our arrival and embarkation plans from the first page. As you can see we are not embarking the day after we arrive.

I am sorry if I was not clear.

"We land at FCO via Lufthansa at 12:20pm on Wednesday November 1, 2018 and leave from Civitavecchia aboard the Jewel of the Seas at 5:00pm Monday November 5, 2018."

We will be in Italy for most/part of 5 days. We will arrive on Wednesday--visit Ostia Antica and stay at the Airport Hilton overnight.

Then we go to Rome for 3 days of sightseeing. I am still looking at hotels and tour options for the city. We want to see the usual sites in the city. [ Colosseum,

Pantheon, Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Campo di Fiori, Palatine Hill, Vatican, etc]

On Monday November 5 we board the ship. That is the day I was looking at visiting the Italian countryside on the way to Civitavecchia.

I would not miss Pompéi.

I could not agree more.

If our ship would stop in Naples I would LOVE to visit Pompeii. However, visiting Pompeii from Rome would take a whole day--and almost half of it would be in travel. We have decided it is a better use of our scarce time to see Rome and save Pompeii for another trip. { I am going to throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain] :D

OK, I got Dragon's and VOLEYmom's plans confused.

• Dragon flies in and stays in the Rome area for 4 days before the cruise. Wants to see Ostia and stay at the airport hotel the day she arrives.
  • Voleymom flies in from CA and sails the next day. (Will stay in Rome for 4 days after the cruise.) Wonders whether to go to Civi directly with some sightseeing and jetlag or to go to Rome for one night and then go to Civi.

All the advice in this thread can be used. Just be mindful of Mondays.

Edited by marazul

I could not agree more.

If our ship would stop in Naples I would LOVE to visit Pompeii. However, visiting Pompeii from Rome would take a whole day--and almost half of it would be in travel. We have decided it is a better use of our scarce time to see Rome and save Pompeii for another trip. { I am going to throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain] :D

Yeah we went on our first cruise (which was a Med cruise) that was Rome-Rome and stopped in Naples. We did Pompéi for a better part of the day and then into Naples/Amalfi Coast for shopping and Pizza!

OK, I got Dragon's and TSUmom's plans confused.

• Dragon flies in and stays in the Rome area for 4 days before the cruise. Wants to see Ostia and stay at the airport hotel the day she arrives.
  • TSU mom flies in from CA and sails the next day. (Will stay in Rome for 4 days after the cruise.) Wonders whether to go to Civi directly with some sightseeing and jetlag or to go to Rome for one night and then go to Civi.

All the advice in this thread can be used. Just be mindful of Mondays.

No problem--as you have said, all of the information is good to know. :D I really appreciate people in the know helping out.

:oConfused again , I meant VOLEYMOM, not TSUmom! VOLEY is posting some of the same questions on another thread. Hope to get it straight some time.

Dang, I thought I was going to be in Rome this year too.;)

Dragon I am hoping you will do a review when you return. I am curious if it will be crowded in November and also how your weather was.

We will be sailing Oct 24th thru Nov 7th in 2019. I keep reading things about off season and sites closing earlier.

Dragon I am hoping you will do a review when you return. I am curious if it will be crowded in November and also how your weather was.

We will be sailing Oct 24th thru Nov 7th in 2019. I keep reading things about off season and sites closing earlier.

Yes, I will come back and add information to this thread and do a mini review of Rome. I have done that for each of my other TAs.

Sunset will be ~ 5 pm in early November. We expect everything to close by then. [or around then] We know a few sites are open later.

I have another unusual question. Has anyone done a golf cart tour in Rome? I came across these as I was researching. DH loves the idea and wants to do at least one of these. I would be OK with one, but I think walking gives us a flavor of the city. [we plan to stay in a central hotel] However, I agree that this would conserve our energy, particularly on the last day when we have visited the nearby locales. . . . and will be pretty tired from all the touring.

They get great reviews on Trip Advisor. They use the side streets and alleys to get around and can get into places most tours can not travel.

Has anyone done one of these?

I have another unusual question. Has anyone done a golf cart tour in Rome? I came across these as I was researching. DH loves the idea and wants to do at least one of these. I would be OK with one, but I think walking gives us a flavor of the city. [we plan to stay in a central hotel] However, I agree that this would conserve our energy, particularly on the last day when we have visited the nearby locales. . . . and will be pretty tired from all the touring.

They get great reviews on Trip Advisor. They use the side streets and alleys to get around and can get into places most tours can not travel.

Has anyone done one of these?

Making mental notes here, Dragon and I are on the same Jewel TA. Maybe I will do a review as well.

My cruise does dock at Naples but I still won't get to visit Pompeii. We'll be there on one of the three days of the year that it's closed.

That is a shame. :(

The Amalfi Coast is still beautiful. Check it out.

Naples has great Limoncello and Gelato. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have heard the

Amalfi Coast is one of the most scenic.

My cruise does dock at Naples but I still won't get to visit Pompeii. We'll be there on one of the three days of the year that it's closed.

Wow, according to the website they only close Christmas and New Year's days and May 1. When are you going to be there?

I have gotten 3 estimates for the Northern Countryside tour and transfer.

At this point I need to confer with our travel partners before I reserve a tour. However, I am leaning toward the first one. They have very good reviews, respond in a timely fashion and are much cheaper than the other 2, especially the popular RomeinLimo.

The 3 Tour companies and their details are:

Iteritaly: from an email sent within 24 hours

The cost of the service requested is 290€, and includes the trip from Rome to Civitavecchiaport via Bracciano Lake and 2hrs to spend in any city in the Bracciano lake area. The driver will be English speaking and the service is always private with us. If you like to spend more time in the area won't be a problem and the cost for extra hrs is 50€/hr.

RomeCabs: from their website

This Roman Countryside Half Day Pre-Cruise Tour andTransfer combination offers our guests the unique option of spending the first half of their day enjoying the beautiful Roman countryside and then go straight to Civitavecchia Cruise Port to board your ship.

.You and your luggage will travel together and remain safely inside the vehicle under the care ofyour English speaking Driver while you sightsee so you have no worries but all the fun in the countryside!

Cost for 4: 350 euro

Pick up time will be 9AM at your accommodation in Rome.

.Duration of the tour:4 hours

Transport to Port of Civitavecchia is included.

Rome in Limo: from an email answered in 15 minutes

In terms of your start time,please keep in mind that from Rome to Bracchiano is approx an hour and then to the port is approx another hr. The total price of your transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia Port, for 4 people in a Mercedes Minivan will be 170euros.

Adding an additional stop in Lake Bracciano, with a transfer to the port for 4 people in a Mercedes Minivan will be 400 euros. Included in this price you will receive 8 hours of touring time that can be customized to only be the time you request)

**Price includes an English speaking driver for all ofour driving tours and shore excursions. Lecture tour guides are an additional cost.

**Price does not include lunch, gratuities or entrance fees to the sites.

** Wedo not guarantee English speaking drivers for our Transfer services. (With the exceptionof Transfers included in our Tours)

NOTE: Your credit card details are only requested to hold the reservation andit will not be charged. You are required to pay in cash Euros at the endof each service.

**Taxesare included in the rates.

I have gotten 3 estimates for the Northern Countryside tour and transfer.

At this point I need to confer with our travel partners before I reserve a tour. However, I am leaning toward the first one. They have very good reviews, respond in a timely fashion and are much cheaper than the other 2, especially the popular RomeinLimo.

The 3 Tour companies and their details are:

Iteritaly: from an email sent within 24 hours

The cost of the service requested is 290€, and includes the trip from Rome to Civitavecchiaport via Bracciano Lake and 2hrs to spend in any city in the Bracciano lake area. The driver will be English speaking and the service is always private with us. If you like to spend more time in the area won't be a problem and the cost for extra hrs is 50€/hr.

RomeCabs: from their website

This Roman Countryside Half Day Pre-Cruise Tour andTransfer combination offers our guests the unique option of spending the first half of their day enjoying the beautiful Roman countryside and then go straight to Civitavecchia Cruise Port to board your ship.

.You and your luggage will travel together and remain safely inside the vehicle under the care ofyour English speaking Driver while you sightsee so you have no worries but all the fun in the countryside!

Cost for 4: 350 euro

Pick up time will be 9AM at your accommodation in Rome.

.Duration of the tour:4 hours

Transport to Port of Civitavecchia is included.

Rome in Limo: from an email answered in 15 minutes

In terms of your start time,please keep in mind that from Rome to Bracchiano is approx an hour and then to the port is approx another hr. The total price of your transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia Port, for 4 people in a Mercedes Minivan will be 170euros.

Adding an additional stop in Lake Bracciano, with a transfer to the port for 4 people in a Mercedes Minivan will be 400 euros. Included in this price you will receive 8 hours of touring time that can be customized to only be the time you request)

**Price includes an English speaking driver for all ofour driving tours and shore excursions. Lecture tour guides are an additional cost.

**Price does not include lunch, gratuities or entrance fees to the sites.

** Wedo not guarantee English speaking drivers for our Transfer services. (With the exceptionof Transfers included in our Tours)

NOTE: Your credit card details are only requested to hold the reservation andit will not be charged. You are required to pay in cash Euros at the endof each service.

**Taxesare included in the rates.

Interesting RomeinLimo doesn’t guarantee an english transfer driver? I like to be able to talk to the driver about local culture and interesting facts. That would make me choose one of the other two.

Although it says for tours yes english but for transfers no english? So does that mean you do get an english driver because you are also booking tour time?

Interesting RomeinLimo doesn’t guarantee an english transfer driver? I like to be able to talk to the driver about local culture and interesting facts. That would make me choose one of the other two.

Although it says for tours yes english but for transfers no english? So does that mean you do get an english driver because you are also booking tour time?

Just as an FYI it's pretty common in the Mediterranean ports that a transfer and a tour are different. A transfer requires a driver who can get you from Point A to Point B safely and on time. Often the driver will speak some English but it's not really guaranteed and it's not their job to provide commentary.

Companies like RIL sort of blur the lines. They provide "tours" and their website promises a "knowledgeable driver" for these tours (and in their FAQs they say that English-speaking drivers are reserved for these tours; but of course a driver cannot accompany you into any sites. For that, you need to pay extra for a licensed guide. (This in part is related to the requirement in Italy that a driver cannot also serve as a guide -- they must be two separate functions.)

Just as an FYI it's pretty common in the Mediterranean ports that a transfer and a tour are different. A transfer requires a driver who can get you from Point A to Point B safely and on time. Often the driver will speak some English but it's not really guaranteed and it's not their job to provide commentary.

Companies like RIL sort of blur the lines. They provide "tours" and their website promises a "knowledgeable driver" for these tours (and in their FAQs they say that English-speaking drivers are reserved for these tours; but of course a driver cannot accompany you into any sites. For that, you need to pay extra for a licensed guide. (This in part is related to the requirement in Italy that a driver cannot also serve as a guide -- they must be two separate functions.)

Yes--I have noticed the difference between the transfer drivers and tour guides. The fact that we may not have an English speaking driver with RIL is a deal-breaker.

The castle has leaflets/signage that provide information for a self guided tour. [noted in reviews] I would not expect the driver to give us a tour. I would hope the driver would mention something noteworthy if we pass it on the way to Civitavecchia. [i.e. "on the left is the town of XXX."]

We will look further into the other 2 options.

Dragon -

I think your first instinct of Iteritaly or Rome Cabs is right. The Rome cabs price is the same as Iteritaly plus one extra hour. They are both reputable companies. I also think that RIL "blurs the lines" on the issue of tipping. Search this thread for more (a lot more) on that subject.

If you want to check out someone else, try Giuseppe (or Joseph, if you prefer) of www.italydrivinguide.com. Tell him what you would like to do and get a quote. We have used him in the past and can highly recommend him. He will certainly point out things along the way and be very informative. In fact, he drove us to Ostia and Tarquinia on a Civi port day when we didn't want to go into Rome and he was beyond helpful. We told him we had not had porchetta in many years and he drove around the town until he found a trattoria that was serving it that day. BTW - as a nice touch, he also provides plenty of bottled water for his guests.

And, yes, the info you get in the Odescalchi castle for a self-guided tour is quite sufficient.

Edited by marazul