Celebrity Norwegian Fjords Cruise...What to Pack?

Welly09

I have been on 12+ Celebrity cruises and all have been to the Caribbean or Bermuda. Thinking of taking their Norwegian Fjords cruise this upcoming April (end of, early May) but am at a loss for what to pack. Typically, my day wear has been bathing suits, so I'm in need of some help! I'm in my mid-30s and will be traveling as a couple. Any advice would be appreciated!

We did this cruise late April 2016. The weather was very mixed. Our first stop was Bergen and it rained heavily. Later stops had some sunshine but definitely not sunbathing weather ! If you do the Flam railway trip ( recommend you do this ) you will more than likely have snow at the top of the line. Hope this helps.

I took the cruise in May. Weather was cool to cold and rainy. Layering is the best. Take shoes that are waterproof. Keep an eye on the weather forecast prior to leaving to help decide what to pack. I loved the cruise...breathtaking scenery!

Welly: We did a Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2016 but also spent several weeks in Norway on a land trip a number of years ago. The weather will be similar to that of Southeast Alaska. Definitely dress in layers. Consider checking the trip reports in the Alaska Cruise Critic forum, looking for reports with photos, as what those folks are wearing on their Alaska cruise is what you will want to have available.

I have been on 12+ Celebrity cruises and all have been to the Caribbean or Bermuda. Thinking of taking their Norwegian Fjords cruise this upcoming April (end of, early May) but am at a loss for what to pack. Typically, my day wear has been bathing suits, so I'm in need of some help! I'm in my mid-30s and will be traveling as a couple. Any advice would be appreciated!

Is it at all possible that you could go in late August? We did B2B Baltic Caps and Norway this past August and were in Norway the last week of August. Weather for the most part was beautiful, but layers are a must. Bergen and Alesund rained but rest of the time it was quite pleasant. I was comfortable all the time in a flannel hoodie with a light down vest over. By all means do the Flam RR and book it ahead of time! The ship docks an easy walk from the train. The train DOES have bathrooms but not in every car (I think it was every other car but not 100%) Celebrity will tell you there are none, but there are, you just have to ask which car they're in. The trip is fantastic....the cars are heated and comfortable...there's one stop at the most famous waterfall for about 15 minutes going up and again coming down....and then you stop for waffles, strawberries and some kind of cream that were delicious!! Another tour we took that we booked on our own was a boat ride in Geiranger that was also an easy walk from where we docked and for that one I needed both hoodie and vest BUT there is comfortable seating inside. We did a similar boat ride in Stavenger and again, easy walk from ship to boat, comfortable seating inside...but if you want really good views or to take pictures dress warmly and sit outside. Fantastic trip.....we've been all over the world and both of us agree that Norway is one of the most beautiful places we've ever seen.

I took the cruise in May. Weather was cool to cold and rainy. Layering is the best. Take shoes that are waterproof. Keep an eye on the weather forecast prior to leaving to help decide what to pack. I loved the cruise...breathtaking scenery!

Exactly the same experience as ours. Rain gear is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it at all possible that you could go in late August? We did B2B Baltic Caps and Norway this past August and were in Norway the last week of August. Weather for the most part was beautiful, but layers are a must. Bergen and Alesund rained but rest of the time it was quite pleasant. I was comfortable all the time in a flannel hoodie with a light down vest over. By all means do the Flam RR and book it ahead of time! The ship docks an easy walk from the train. The train DOES have bathrooms but not in every car (I think it was every other car but not 100%) Celebrity will tell you there are none, but there are, you just have to ask which car they're in. The trip is fantastic....the cars are heated and comfortable...there's one stop at the most famous waterfall for about 15 minutes going up and again coming down....and then you stop for waffles, strawberries and some kind of cream that were delicious!! Another tour we took that we booked on our own was a boat ride in Geiranger that was also an easy walk from where we docked and for that one I needed both hoodie and vest BUT there is comfortable seating inside. We did a similar boat ride in Stavenger and again, easy walk from ship to boat, comfortable seating inside...but if you want really good views or to take pictures dress warmly and sit outside. Fantastic trip.....we've been all over the world and both of us agree that Norway is one of the most beautiful places we've ever seen.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately because of work schedules, April/May is the only time we can go.

Actually May and June are the driest months of the year in Southern Norway, July an August are the warmest. April is usually still chilly and sometimes even snow in the mountains.

There was snow on the mountains in August as well and since the snow caps were melting the waterfalls were exquisite.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately because of work schedules, April/May is the only time we can go.

Not unfortunate...you'll just need a little heavier clothing! It will still be beautiful....like you'll probably want a hat and gloves. When I packed I figured North Sea....so I brought all jeans, sweaters and long sleeved tops....being me, at the last minute I threw in 2 pairs of capri jeans and 4 short sleeved tees.....I spent virtually the entire B2B....21 days....living in those capris! DH describes Norway as "being like a woman.....beautiful and capricious ... and she changes her mind at the drop of a hat! " ;p

We were on Eclipse in April/May this year....we had glorious sunshine! Captain Michael, however, did say we had been very lucky.

We took layers...T shirts, fleeces and lightweight but good waterproofs. Both male and female party members stuck with warm and comfortable tracky bottoms during the day and smarter trousers at night. I did take a couple of dress up outfits for chic night too! We also took hats and gloves....

If you stand in the Norwegian sun it can be warm but the minute you are in the shade it is cold! Choose your side of the street!

You are provided with kettles and can ask for blankets in the room so I also took a hot water bottle! Even in the North Sea I snuggled under blankets on the sun bed on the balcony and enjoyed watching the clouds speed by! We had hot coffee and pastries and made the most of our balcony from sunrise (which is early)!

There was a guest with a drone on board (all organised with ship and ports). If you look at you tube ‘Celebrity Eclipse Norway and Ireland’ you will find it and will see our wonderful blue skies.

Whilst I can understand the August advice I really do think it is ‘hit and miss’ with the weather. Also in terms of sight seeing...on neither cruise will the waterfalls be in full flow but on the cruise you are on you should still see snow on the Flam railway and on the mountain tops.

Final bit of advice, it goes dark late....We booked Tuscan on several nights as Eclipse left ports and were warm and well looked after enjoying 180’ views....magical moments!

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise.

Here's what I wore most days when we went late April:

34321020564_139f22b0f0_k.jpg

I also wore a heavy sweatshirt, a stocking hat, and gloves when we rented a Twizzy (small, open air electric car) when we were in Geiranger (which was a real blast). They lent us a couple of blankets and gloves for this which was very helpful. As you can see, it was cold (in the low 20's) up at the pond near the summit of Mount Dalsnibba -- due to the snow, the road was close to go all of the way up.

34889498801_8a69490e43_h.jpg

We’re planning on takI got this cruise , leaving 30th April

As we’re UK based , we will just dress as if at home !

Taking T shirts , jeans , shorts some jumpers / cardigans and a rain coat

Expecting some sunshine , some drizzle and some spectacular views

We’re planning on takI got this cruise , leaving 30th April

As we’re UK based , we will just dress as if at home !

Taking T shirts , jeans , shorts some jumpers / cardigans and a rain coat

Expecting some sunshine , some drizzle and some spectacular views ��

It really is important to note the times you are arriving/leaving ports as you get some spectacular sightseeing done early morning before docking and late afternoon/early evening after leaving. We would have coffee and pastries delivered to our room really early and just watch the Fjiords go past our balcony! We spoke to a few guests who had not noted times and were disappointed they had slept in until 8/9 and missed so much....

Make sure you ask your butler/room steward for blankets or get some from the stand near the lawn area.

Not unfortunate...you'll just need a little heavier clothing! It will still be beautiful....like you'll probably want a hat and gloves. When I packed I figured North Sea....so I brought all jeans, sweaters and long sleeved tops....being me, at the last minute I threw in 2 pairs of capri jeans and 4 short sleeved tees.....I spent virtually the entire B2B....21 days....living in those capris! DH describes Norway as "being like a woman.....beautiful and capricious ... and she changes her mind at the drop of a hat! " ;p

Haha what a perfect analogy! Thanks for the advice! :)

In addition to wearing layers and the raincoat, I recommend some waterproof shoes, we went in July and the weather never rained and the landscapes were beautiful

Me @ Briksdal Glacier, the best shorex I have in all my life

20525827_1944859319090196_5474927993398711738_n.jpg?oh=8c3d62f788dbaca27e24c5a6d0b2beb1&oe=5AC1BA01

I have cruised many times. I also travel on land often. I have been to Norway 3 times. Norway is beautiful. I loved the cruise on the fjords. It was my favorite cruise for looking at scenery. Norway can be sunny. Most of the time, the Weather is wet and cool. Be prepared. Even on what seems like a sunny dry day, bring rain gear. On all vacations, I bring a fleece hoodie, goretex jacket, hat, and folding umbrella. Waterproof shoes are a good idea. Also, a scarf and gloves may be handy. Place them in a waterproof bag. I like sportsac...light weight, waterproof, and folds up when not needed. Even if you are going to warm climates, you may need the above items. Planes are often cold. If you are cold, buy a Norwegian sweater. My spouse bought a Dale of Norway sweater at the outlet in Flam. The outlet was a short walk from the dock.

If you are cold, buy a Norwegian sweater. My spouse bought a Dale of Norway sweater at the outlet in Flam. The outlet was a short walk from the dock.

Very nice sweaters also they have the Winter Olympic collection for Norway team

It also depends on where you are from and the weather you are accustomed to. We took the late April/early May 2017 Norway cruise that someone else mentioned with the unusually pristine, sunny weather. We are from Minnesota, so "cold" to us is different than to others in warmer parts of the world. Still, we dressed in layers. Also, it depends on how active you will be.

In Geiranger we did a private snowshoeing excursion and even though we were on top of 3 feet of snow- I was wearing short sleeves and had rolled up my pants by the afternoon! We hiked Prekestolen (Pulpit Rock) out of the Stavanger port and I was in short sleeves and shorts. In Flåm, I did a two hour hike to a waterfall in the morning (& got hot), while in the afternoon we took a fjord ferry and it was definitely cooler on the water.

All in all, it was our absolute most favorite cruise in a very beautiful country (which I had already visited six times by land, but never before by sea). I hope the cruise works-out for you! 🇳🇴

We are also looking at this cruise, but have hesitated because we are not interested in active pursuits. DH has a few mobility issues and can't go hiking, snowshoeing, etc. Is there enough to do for those of us who are more sedentary at this point of our lives ?