Do Viking Ocean ships have laundry facilities or services?

travelmum

We will be sailing on the Viking Star for the Jan. 18 Southern Med Itinerary. We are staying for a while in Rome and Malta before the cruise and in Barcelona after. If I could at least get undies washed while aboard I could save a lot of suitcase space. Do the Viking ocean ships have either self-laundry or send-out laundry options for their clients? Thanks for any intel on this subject.

• Like 1

Lots of helpful information in this forum. Search for 'Self Serve Laundry aboard Viking Ocean Ships' and there are lots of hints and tips. But yes, there is a self serve laundry on decks 3, 4, 5 and 6. Both the washer and dryer work well. Some cabins (Junior Suite and above) get laundry included with cabin benefits.

Edited by helenandfrank
  • Like 1

Lots of helpful information in this forum. Search for 'Self Serve Laundry aboard Viking Ocean Ships' and there are lots of hints and tips. But yes, there is a self serve laundry on decks 3, 4, 5 and 6. Both the washer and dryer work well. Some cabins (Junior Suite and above) get laundry included with cabin benefits.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks

Look for posts by Peregrina who took the time to take and post pictures of the laundry facilities. Each has 2 washers & dryers with 2 half size fold down ironing boards with irons. The washers dispense both detergent and I think softener.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Look for posts by Peregrina who took the time to take and post pictures of the laundry facilities. Each has 2 washers & dryers with 2 half size fold down ironing boards with irons. The washers dispense both detergent and I think softener.

Great news. One of my sea day activites will be ironing.

I wear mostly cotton and linen so a trip to the self service laundry will work just fine for me.:D

• Like 1

And the washers and dryers are free. No tokens or quarters!

• Like 1

On the Star now. The machines are a lot simpler to use. Twist a couple of dials, select second rinse, press start. If you don't bring your own detergent, you have to press the button on the soap dispenser on the wall. Dispensers are numbered. Three machine per laundry room.

Bring lingerie bags for small items. Easier to keep track of things.

• Like 1

On the Star now. The machines are a lot simpler to use. Twist a couple of dials, select second rinse, press start. If you don't bring your own detergent, you have to press the button on the soap dispenser on the wall. Dispensers are numbered. Three machine per laundry room.

Right -my count was wrong. Was thinking three but wrote 2. Sigh. And why I need a vacation! And leaving for same tomorrow morning!!! yay!!!!

• Like 1

We too are on the Star on deck 3 and our machines are different. The soap is automatically added to the wash cycle for you. Super easy. My one complaint is that there are no laundry baskets for us to use. And the ironing board is difficult to use for a left-handed person like me. No worries thkugh--the steam in the shower in our cabin has been more than adequate in getting wrinkles to fall out of clothing. There's a sturdy clothes line in the shower.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Don’t bring your own soap except if you have a skin condition. Your soap may over suds in these washers and that could really make a mess. Plus their soap is free and made to use in the uprights

We were on the Star in May 2017 and the soap was automatically dispensed for us too.

Did you hear the soap dispense and could you smell its fragrance on your clothing when you were done? I pressed the button on the dispenser after I started the load and heard the soap dispense.

Did you hear the soap dispense and could you smell its fragrance on your clothing when you were done? I pressed the button on the dispenser after I started the load and heard the soap dispense.

I believe the system may actually be different depending on what deck you are on, on the Star. We were on deck 8, the closest laundry was on 6, I did laundry there a couple of times and there was no need to dispense detergent. There were suds visible and the clothes can out clean. The last time I did laundry, I did so on deck 5, I didn’t hear the sound of soap dispensing as I had before and the setup on the wall seemed to suggest that I should push the button on the dispensers, which I did. Either way the clothes came out clean, not sure why there might be a difference.

Thanks for all this useful info. If the self-serve laundry facilities get overused it sounds like ship service might be the way to go. Appreciate the responses.

Couldn't sleep last night. Did laundry at 2am.. all included. Washers, dryers, soap, ironing boards. Room service will steam for your also.

One thing I'd like and will comment on before we leave is to have better instructions. Geez! Telling me to select a program and only give me some icon that merely hints at what it means - if you only had the magic decoder ring along with what other controls (water temp etc) are enabled or disabled based on your program selection - would be most appreciated. For sure the laundrette facilitates lots of camaraderie as we collectively either discuss the cryptic meaning of said symbols or pass on whatever knowledge each of us have gained to the next newbie on the scene.

Also, if a machine is out of service (one of the washers on Sky's 5th deck laundrette is out for the count - needing a part that must wait til our return to Miami), the Viking staff should put a sign on it noting its status. It should not be a word of mouth deal, I.e., counting on somebody who knows the score to share that knowledge with the newbies on the scene. Unless Viking enjoys getting phone calls over and over again from those that walk into an empty laundrette and wonder why a washer or dryer is kaput; has an error message. As far as I can determine our washer #3 went on the blink yesterday, which of course was a sea day so business in the laundrette was brisk. [emoji6]

• 3 weeks later...
Don't have exact prices but we spent a few tens of dollars total for 2-3 submissions. Sweaty touring shirts, my air traveling jeans, socks & underwear. Reasonable. Not high priced. Not dirt cheap.

For those who are onboard right now, they should be able to tell you. The laundry order sheet is in the drawer with the hair dryer. And gives prices.

Don't have exact prices but we spent a few tens of dollars total for 2-3 submissions. Sweaty touring shirts, my air traveling jeans, socks & underwear. Reasonable. Not high priced. Not dirt cheap.

Yes to dry cleaning and cheaper than I pay at home on some items. I think I photographed the current prices a few weeks ago. I'm on the road right now and as soon as I get a chance I will look for it and share--unless someone beats me to the punch.