List of ships with FREE steam and/or Sauna

20 hours ago, RD64 said:

Howard (from Jersey)

As someone who often travels solo I hear your concerns. Sometimes I just want to travel as an “International Man of Mystery” and not talk to anyone. On a cruise a few years ago, I wanted a table for two - by myself - it was the end of a busy year, and I just was not in the mood for small talk every night. That being said, I certainly won the sympathy vote - people felt sorry for me - would encounter me on deck, or in a bar , and invite me to dine with them. Sometimes I would accept, and sometimes not.

on the last cruise I did pre-Covid, an 11 day transatlantic, the first night I ate with two random couples. We had such an enjoyable first  night, filled with so much in common that we ate together almost every night for the remainder, and we still keep in touch.

That being said, I am sure that the spa/ gym / sauna services will soon be back to normal. There is nothing more relaxing than a pre-dinner steam/sauna mid Atlantic.

cheers.

Hey there!

Thanks so much for your message. Usually when traveling solo I eat solo too....occasionally joining other couples...sometimes it works....sometimes not. However on my last cruise, MSC Meraviglia, there was ONLY traditional dining. I had a great time seeing the same people each night for dinner. All solo travelers from all walks and ages. And each night it was a slightly different selection of people as one or two opted for a specialty restaurant. It was the best cruise I had in a long time!

Howard

On 7/3/2021 at 9:25 PM, HLR said:

Hi Howard! It's Howard! Look at you toasting with your loverly wife there in your picture!

Nope...that email was rejected by the demon in the mailroom also.

So...any clue as to the open-ness of the steam and saunas? One person at a time? I'm single and sail as a solo....if I were to sail NOW I'd be pretty lonely have to sit, sun and eat alone and barely able to meet and mingle...

Howard

Seems hard to get concrete answers. I know on Adventure of the Seas, the sauna and steam were closed on the first sailing. I'm hoping they open it up soon since I'm sailing in August. The gym was operating normally and all guests are vaccinated. We'll see. Curious what Carnival is doing now on the Vista and Horizon. 

Well, only time will tell. I have a friend who works on the MSC Meraviglia so he will keep me updated when they begin to sail with passengers....I believe it is August 3rd. I myself am not quite ready to sail yet as I travel solo and that would be rather solitary right now...but I am hoping for a sailing 2nd week of December.

At my gym they reopened the sauna in May, but with a limit of 3 people and masks. Then 2 weeks later both steam and sauna and no masks or limits. And they are quite busy now.

Edited by HLR

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2018 at 6:18 PM, hotdog647 said:

What a great idea. It seems like more of the newer and biggest ships are skipping free spa/sauna/steam facilities and adding pay areas. Imagine that.

how sad is that.....it's one of my go to places on the ship....I love it there

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently sailed on Celebrity Silhouette & was pleased to find the Mens sauna operating.
The facility is situated in the mens locker room which serves the spa & gym area, the entrance to the locker room is hidden & is not easily found - unless like me you know it's there!  As you look at the spa reception desk the Male locker room is to the right & slightly behinmd the desk, you have to turn left & more or less double back on yourself to see the entrance.   Initially you will come across approx 20 combination lockers (no key needed), there is no bench to sit on in this area, only three fabric covered 'pouffes' - not the best for hygiene in my opinion so be sure to sit on a towel. Further along the corrdor there are two wash basins, two urinals & two WC's, next on the left is the sauna, while on the right are three large showers - one accessible. There is no bench to sit & cool between sauna sessions & no water fountain to rehrdrate yourself so be sure to take your own water bottle in with you.  Towels were plentiful during my voyage & the attendant made a visit ti wipe surfaces about every 20 minutes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2021 at 11:19 AM, billybeachboy said:

I've recently sailed on Celebrity Silhouette & was pleased to find the Mens sauna operating.
The facility is situated in the mens locker room which serves the spa & gym area, the entrance to the locker room is hidden & is not easily found - unless like me you know it's there!  As you look at the spa reception desk the Male locker room is to the right & slightly behinmd the desk, you have to turn left & more or less double back on yourself to see the entrance.   Initially you will come across approx 20 combination lockers (no key needed), there is no bench to sit on in this area, only three fabric covered 'pouffes' - not the best for hygiene in my opinion so be sure to sit on a towel. Further along the corrdor there are two wash basins, two urinals & two WC's, next on the left is the sauna, while on the right are three large showers - one accessible. There is no bench to sit & cool between sauna sessions & no water fountain to rehrdrate yourself so be sure to take your own water bottle in with you.  Towels were plentiful during my voyage & the attendant made a visit ti wipe surfaces about every 20 minutes.

This entire experience you describe sounds terrible. It's like they want you to sauna for five minutes, shower, and LEAVE! There's nothing hospitable about it.

17 hours ago, 2cruiseluvrs said:

This entire experience you describe sounds terrible. It's like they want you to sauna for five minutes, shower, and LEAVE! There's nothing hospitable about it.

Well at least they still HAVE the single-sex free sauna. It does get pretty busy in the afternoons, so not terrible at all! Unlike the new Celebrity Edge class ships that have NO single-sex saunas, free or paid. Complete buzzkill. The edge-class ships are off my list.

Re 

33 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Well at least they still HAVE the single-sex free sauna. It does get pretty busy in the afternoons, so not terrible at all! Unlike the new Celebrity Edge class ships that have NO single-sex saunas, free or paid. Complete buzzkill. The edge-class ships are off my list.

Re 

Sounds fine to me! There are plenty of towels and I don't think I will EVER drink out of a plain Water Fountain again....only refill at one of the bottle filling type fountains.

• 1 month later...

Was on HAL’s Nieuw Amsterdam (the spreadsheet lists it as just Amsterdam, it may be worth tweaking) two weeks ago.  The free sauna was open and operating but very quiet (48% ship capacity).  The free sauna is located off the hallway between the spa reception and the main lido pool - a busy main thoroughfare. It is very small (comfortable for 3 people - could go as full as 6 if everyone was doing shoulder to shoulder).  Very tiny changing area with no lockers, just a couple of hooks on the wall.  There was also a small shower available in the changing area.  The shower door was frosted glass (no gross curtain) and the sauna door was clear glass.  Was always stocked with towels and was clean.  Only ran into another guy twice in 7 days, both were very friendly and amenable.  Only saw an attendant once, he was restocking the towels. 

2 minutes ago, Djb4CC said:

Was on HAL’s Nieuw Amsterdam (the spreadsheet lists it as just Amsterdam, it may be worth tweaking) two weeks ago.  The free sauna was open and operating but very quiet (48% ship capacity).  The free sauna is located off the hallway between the spa reception and the main lido pool - a busy main thoroughfare. It is very small (comfortable for 3 people - could go as full as 6 if everyone was doing shoulder to shoulder).  Very tiny changing area with no lockers, just a couple of hooks on the wall.  There was also a small shower available in the changing area.  The shower door was frosted glass (no gross curtain) and the sauna door was clear glass.  Was always stocked with towels and was clean.  Only ran into another guy twice in 7 days, both were very friendly and amenable.  Only saw an attendant once, he was restocking the towels. 

Great to hear, hope that is the same on all HAL ships. Taking a cruise in New year and hoping take full ice of the steam and meet new friends. 

I had a similar experience on the Nieuw Amsterdam back in September. Definitely open but very quiet. Good description of the facility. Koningsdam free saunas are temporally closed, not because of covid but because of a defective part. A new one is on order. Alexdw - have a great cruise!

34 minutes ago, twodjs said:

I had a similar experience on the Nieuw Amsterdam back in September. Definitely open but very quiet. Good description of the facility. Koningsdam free saunas are temporally closed, not because of covid but because of a defective part. A new one is on order. Alexdw - have a great cruise!

Thank you twodjs. Looking forward to being back at sea, Have missed my sauna time .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all................

Anyone know the situation on the newly reno-stretched Windstar (previoulsly Seabourn) Star Legend?

I am contemplating a Caribbean cruise in February, and I must have my Sauna/Steam time in peace and single sex serenity!  LOL...............

Thanks for any info out there.

Steve

Updated the steam/sauna database yesterday.

-Added newer ships.

-Deleted sold/scrapped ships.

-Added Viking Ocean Cruises.

-Removed Pullmantur Cruise lines.

-Added links to ships. (used Wikipedia as globalcruises site is out of date with newer ships not listed.)

-Minor formatting adjustments.

Any additional suggestions?

Cruise Ship Steam/Sauna Database

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 1

Thank you for posting the updated spreadsheet. It is great!!

I have cruised on Viking Star, can you add that there is a free sauna and cold plunge pool in mens locker room, the main spa area with pool, saina , steam and ice room is all coed.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tobrthompson said:

Does anyone know if the free spas are open during covid?  I was on a ship last fall and it was not open due to covid.  

Depends on the cruiseline. I've been on both Holland America and Seabourn recently. Both had free spas open as usual.

12 hours ago, tobrthompson said:

Does anyone know if the free spas are open during covid?  I was on a ship last fall and it was not open due to covid.  

Was on  Emerald Princess a week ago and they were open.