Policy Change on Extensions Cords and Confiscation ?

calex

NCL's Access Desk is now including this statement in their emails starting in the Fall of 2017:

"Gues
t
s c
an obtain an extension cord at the Guest Services Desk.
Guests are no longer allowed to bring extension cords and power strips on board.
"

Checking NCL's Prohibited Items list at https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items, neither extension cords or plug strips are listed. Not list either are Surge Protectors which are a known fire hazard onboard, and have not allowed for years.

Has anyone in recent history (since September 2017) had a non-surge protected extension cord or plug strip confiscated during the boarding process or onboard?

"Guests can obtain an extension cord at the Guest Services Desk. Guests are no longer allowed to bring extension cords and power strips on board."

I doubt that that will last long; can you imagine them carrying 1 per room? All it needs is for a large number of people to ask for them.

What will they do if they run out and someone who needs one for a CPAP machine asks for one?

Boarded the pearl on dec 14. They confiscated my power strip and fan. They offered me one of their extension cords and finally returned my fan after their electrician made sure it was ok. The pearl had a couple of outlets and at least 4 or 5 usb outlets in the room

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Pearl, Sept 2017, extension cord and fan confiscated, both returned after electrician gave the OK. Front desk agent printed prohibited items list from edocs and neither were listed. NCL is very on top of updating things, apparently. :rolleyes: Only ended up using fan, and it and no other electronics were ever unplugged by room steward.

Travel all over with these, including cruises and as recent as last Halloween on Breakaway, no problems whatsoever. Always with the carry-on in the gadget pouch - never check these at the pier.

0e15e57dc89c8a8547103f713c0b4577.jpg

Fire safety tips: always disconnect them when unattended & out of the stateroom.

on AT&T 4G, T-Mo/Project Fi or WiFi via Blu R1HD w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

I have never had a problem with bringing on an extension cord for my CPAP. Hopefully I won't on my upcoming cruise.

Keep us informed of what happens. It seems that they are being taken and checked and possibly returned. If not then they will lend you one they are happy with.

I was on the Epic over both Thanksgiving and Christmas. They did not take my extension cord. They will unplug anything left on charge when you are not in room.

On Sun in December.

Same.

Power strip not confiscated but stweard would unplug if we were away.

NCL's Access Desk is now including this statement in their emails starting in the Fall of 2017:

"Gues
t
s c
Guests are no longer allowed to bring extension cords and power strips on board.
"

Hmm. We received email from Access Desk last week verifying we'd receive distilled water for CPAP and nothing was said about not bringing extension cord. Hubby carries one in CPAP case.

I sailed on the Getaway TA in late Oct 2017 with an extension cord and it was neither questioned nor confiscated. Maybe they weren't enforcing it then? Or maybe because I was in The Haven? I left it out in plain sight on my vanity, unplugged, when I left the cabin. No one ever said anything...

I don't mind if they want to check the extension cord - I just use a basic one. I have needed it on virtually every cruise I have taken (outlets are not well placed for CPAP usage - and I think a lot of people use CPAPs - so it they don't let people use their own, I hope they have a large supply on-hand..

I have never had a problem with bringing on an extension cord for my CPAP. Hopefully I won't on my upcoming cruise.

And, I will get you still will not have a problem.

And, it is close to foolish not to carry one with your cpap. You NEVER know where you might spend the night.

Thanks for the feed back to date regarding this line, "Guests are no longer allowed to bring extension cords and power strips on board", that now appears in emails from NCL's Access Desk.

This note will not keep me from bringing a 12' extension cord with my CPAP machine. It is a long way from the one 120V power outlet on the desk to the head of the bed in most staterooms. Plus, it will probably be needed at our pre and post cruise hotels.

• 6 months later...

81eguGXk0wL._AA100_.jpg

"Gues
t
s c
"

Checking NCL's Prohibited Items list at https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items, neither extension cords or plug strips are listed. Not list either are Surge Protectors which are a known fire hazard onboard, and have not allowed for years.

Has anyone in recent history (since September 2017) had a non-surge protected extension cord or plug strip confiscated during the boarding process or onboard?

I have one with my cpap. My TA asked for distilled water and an extension cord to be in our cabin. Had to ask about the water and go down to guest services to sign for the cord. I returned the cord on the last night so I wouldn't be in a line at GS on debarkation. In the end the extension cord I bought would have been sufficient. It is packed with my cpap and I carry it on.

I've heard there are USB ports in the balcony cabins on Escape. This would help a bit. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes. there is a USB port on the bedside lights. Not too much you can do with a standard charging cord.

We carried multiple extension cords on to the Escape in April and Bliss in June without incident.

It is important to note the the prohibition on extension cords does not appear anywhere on the NCL website (prohibited items or the access page).

I've heard there are USB ports in the balcony cabins on Escape. This would help a bit. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I was on the Escape in June, my balcony cabin had USB ports on each side of the bed.

Also, my extension cord was not confiscated.