Does the Deluxe Veranda on Viking Sea have electrical outlets & USB at the bedside?

PlanoTim

Hello. I have a question regarding the Deluxe Veranda on Viking Sea. I get the feeling that the accommodations are not identical on all the VO ships. Does the Deluxe Veranda on Viking Sea have electrical outlets and USB ports at the bedside tables? I’ve seen some reviews mention this, but the 360-degree view on the cruise line’s web site doesn’t show them. Also, does the lamp on the desk have USB ports in the base?

Thanks,

Tim

Hello. I have a question regarding the Deluxe Veranda on Viking Sea. I get the feeling that the accommodations are not identical on all the VO ships. Does the Deluxe Veranda on Viking Sea have electrical outlets and USB ports at the bedside tables? I’ve seen some reviews mention this, but the 360-degree view on the cruise line’s web site doesn’t show them. Also, does the lamp on the desk have USB ports in the base?

Thanks,

Tim

Not sure about USB ports, but it has both Continental and American outlets at bedside. If you use a laptop, which often has wifi , you would not need a USB port. It connects to the ship's wifi quite easily.

By the way, whether you are in a "Deluxe" Verandah, or "standard" Verandah, they are basically the same cabin. The only difference is you get your fridge refilled daily with soft drinks (standard verandah gets soft drinks in fridge only when you first embark), earlier specialty restaurant and included excursion bookings online, and an expensive coffee machine using pods cluttering up precious little space (and which we used only once on a 14 day cruise, and the coffee was not even very good! ). All the so-called "extras" for a few hundreds dollars more per person. What is so "Deluxe " about that? Is it any wonder the standard verandah cabins often get sold out first? We were in a Deluxe cabin on last cruise, but for any future cruises with Viking, we will NOT be going on Deluxe cabins but book for the standard cabin - we felt that it was not worth paying the extra for. We have learnt our lesson. If you haven't booked your Deluxe Verandah cabin, think about it again and weigh up to see if the standard Verandah may offer you a better valued option.

Edited by Gnoelj

Not sure about USB ports, but it has both Continental and American outlets at bedside. If you use a laptop, which often has wifi , you would not need a USB port. It connects to the ship's wifi quite easily.

By the way, whether you are in a "Deluxe" Verandah, or "standard" Verandah, they are basically the same cabin. The only difference is you get your fridge refilled daily with soft drinks (standard verandah gets soft drinks in fridge only when you first embark), earlier specialty restaurant and included excursion bookings online, and an expensive coffee machine using pods cluttering up precious little space (and which we used only once on a 14 day cruise, and the coffee was not even very good! ). All the so-called "extras" for a few hundreds dollars more per person. What is so "Deluxe " about that? Is it any wonder the standard verandah cabins often get sold out first? We were in a Deluxe cabin on last cruise, but for any future cruises with Viking, we will NOT be going on Deluxe cabins but book for the standard cabin - we felt that it was not worth paying the extra for. We have learnt our lesson. If you haven't booked your Deluxe Verandah cabin, think about it again and weigh up to see if the standard Verandah may offer you a better valued option.

I think the reason for wanting USB ports is for charging devices, not for connecting to WiFi - at least that’s what I would want them for.

We chose the Deluxe veranda for the earlier access to the shore excursions. I was considering getting the next level - junior suite - I forget what their name for it is. Again for the excursions and I think that category includes mini bar liquor replacement. But we decided we would get the Silver Spirits package, so spending more for the room didn’t make sense.

I do agree that for anyone not concerned about booking optional excursions, the standard veranda is probably the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks,

Tim

Yes to 110v outlets and 2 USB ports by each nightstand in DV category, plus 5 USP connections in the desk lamp. Then 2 each (110v/220v) outlets alongside each side of the desk, and a few wall outlets too. Also the arrangement of the closet is different between V1/V2 (alongside the bed, inconvenient to access) and DV (opens along the entry corridor). V1/V2 only have 3 small drawers (some ships may have modified half of the closet by inserting a 3 drawer unit that's half height). DV have 12 drawers, plenty of space.

Our DV had the closet next to the bed and very few drawers. Our friends PV had the closet in the entryway and lots of drawers. The DV and the V are exactly the same floor plan. We stored our coffeemaker in the closet so that we could use the shelves for clothes since we had hardly any drawers.

Thanks, everyone, for confirming that the outlets are present on the Viking Sea. It’s weird that some of the videos I’ve seen (including the DV 360-degree view on the company’s web site) don’t show them there.

Regarding the storage space, that seems like it could be an issue. At first I thought drawer space would be sufficient in the DV until I realized the “drawer” right below the coffee maker was actually the safe. We will make due, I’m sure, but it seems tight. I saw someone in another thread who said they use a cloth/plastic cubby organizer that hangs from the closet rod. I may check into that.

Tim

Thanks, everyone, for confirming that the outlets are present on the Viking Sea. It’s weird that some of the videos I’ve seen (including the DV 360-degree view on the company’s web site) don’t show them there.

Regarding the storage space, that seems like it could be an issue. At first I thought drawer space would be sufficient in the DV until I realized the “drawer” right below the coffee maker was actually the safe. We will make due, I’m sure, but it seems tight. I saw someone in another thread who said they use a cloth/plastic cubby organizer that hangs from the closet rod. I may check into that.

Tim

We have a DV3. We are bringing collapse cloth storage cubes to put on the top shelf of closet for some of our clothes. Also not taking as many clothes because we will use the self service laundry on our 15 day cruise. I will pack for 8 days.

I wondered what the difference was - thanks for posting that info.

Tim

Another tip. After getting on board and having emptied your suitcase, to get more space, you could perhaps slide your suitcases and other bags UNDER THE BEDS. We have quite big suitcases and even they fit, so we think most suitcases would fit. That would give you quite a bit of extra space in the cupboard. We learnt that "trick" from a female cabin steward on one of our cruises with Oceania and now we use that on other ships we cruise as well.

If you still do not have enough space, you could perhaps leave some of the stuff inside your suitcases and then slide them under the bed.

You will also find in Viking cabins (verandah and DVs), under the side tables, and under the side table drawers, there are storage compartments which are very deep. You can put lots of things in there too. However, make sure you do not leave anything behind in there when you leave because it can be a bit difficult to see what you have left at the back!

Don't know if you know that as Viking provide disposable slippers, you woud not need to pack your own slippers. They also have umbrellas in the cabins, but they tend to be rather huge. In the saunas, they have slippers particularly for that use, so you do not have to bring any special slippers for that either.

Edited by Gnoelj

Another tip. After getting on board and having emptied your suitcase, to get more space, you could perhaps slide your suitcases and other bags UNDER THE BEDS. We have quite big suitcases and even they fit, so we think most suitcases would fit. That would give you quite a bit of extra space in the cupboard. We learnt that "trick" from a female cabin steward on one of our cruises with Oceania and now we use that on other ships we cruise as well.

If you still do not have enough space, you could perhaps leave some of the stuff inside your suitcases and then slide them under the bed.

You will also find in Viking cabins (verandah and DVs), under the side tables, and under the side table drawers, there are storage compartments which are very deep. You can put lots of things in there too. However, make sure you do not leave anything behind in there when you leave because it can be a bit difficult to see what you have left at the back!

Don't know if you know that as Viking provide disposable slippers, you woud not need to pack your own slippers. They also have umbrellas in the cabins, but they tend to be rather huge. In the saunas, they have slippers particularly for that use, so you do not have to bring any special slippers for that either.

Thanks, Gnoelj. We've used the under-the-bed storage on other lines and will probably do so on this cruise also. You're right, the slippers and robes will save us a little packing room. It also looks like there are a couple of shallow drawers in the bathroom as well. Maybe some free space will be available there.

Thanks, Gnoelj. We've used the under-the-bed storage on other lines and will probably do so on this cruise also. You're right, the slippers and robes will save us a little packing room. It also looks like there are a couple of shallow drawers in the bathroom as well. Maybe some free space will be available there.

Yes, there are two shallow drawers in the bathroom (shower room and toilet actually, as there is no bath tub as such so it is not strictly a "bathroom"). Under each drawer, there is a compartment to put some extra stuff as well.

Something you probably may not see in your DV 360-view is that the lighting in the Viking is probably one of the best lighting on any cruise ship we have been on. They have lights for almost anything and they even have a "low light" so that you will be able to see when you get up from bed to the bathroom/toilet in the middle of the night. The reading lights might need a bit of "fumbling" to find out how they operate (there are no instructions), but once you know how to do it, they are really quite cool.

One word about if you are going to the sauna, although you would not need to bring along your own slippers as they provide them there, unlike a "typical" sauna in Scandinavia, you are not allowed to go into the sauna in your birthday suit! For example, for men, they have to wear something like a pair of swimming trunks to keep your "decency". So, don't forget to pack something like that along. Check with Viking about what gear is suitable.

Edited by Gnoelj

The bathroom drawers are one of my favorite features! Just getting rid of the constant counter clutter makes the cabin feel good.

We have a DV3. We are bringing collapse cloth storage cubes to put on the top shelf of closet for some of our clothes. Also not taking as many clothes because we will use the self service laundry on our 15 day cruise. I will pack for 8 days.

We pack lightly as well but we use the ship's laundry for everything except undies. Even so, our laundry/ dry cleaning bill for our most recent trip was under $50--just a bit larger than our bar bill.

We pack lightly as well but we use the ship's laundry for everything except undies. Even so, our laundry/ dry cleaning bill for our most recent trip was under $50--just a bit larger than our bar bill.

Isn't there a laundry on almost each deck for you to use for free (including free detergent)?

If you used that, you would have saved the $50 and maybe use it for more drinks! Lol.

Isn't there a laundry on almost each deck for you to use for free (including free detergent)?

If you used that, you would have saved the $50 and maybe use it for more drinks! Lol.

Sure, you can do that if you want but I'm on vacation and someone else can do the laundry.

My husband and I did laundry 4 or 5 times on our 3 week cruise. Met lots of nice people in the laundry room. Sometimes I'd put it in, set my alarm, go to the cabin and sit on the balcony or watch a show on TV then go switch it over. Sometimes I'd visit with the folks in the laundry or read my book. There's a couch and a TV in there. It was no big deal for us. Necessary, because we tried to pack lightly, but no big deal.

Best thing for storage is to have your attendant remove the in room coffee maker and the cups . This gives you a Great deal of additional storage space . You can get coffee at various locations on the ship and we’ve been in 6 different Ocean Cruises including their 140 day WC and never used their in room service

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Best thing for storage is to have your attendant remove the in room coffee maker and the cups . This gives you a Great deal of additional storage space . You can get coffee at various locations on the ship and we’ve been in 6 different Ocean Cruises including their 140 day WC and never used their in room service

Also leave all your extension cords home , there are plenty of connections in your cabin . Bring extra cords like the cables supplied by your cellphone /iPad mfg. . The only item I need a regular cord for is my 35mm battery charger and I can use their wall plug for that one . Just look at the light bases for additional plug in’s

Since so many people do this, I wonder why people book the DV cabins. No more space and only a few perks that mount up to quiet an increase in price...but that's me.

I booked DV because all of the Vs were sold out! I booked our Feb/Mar 2019 cruise in April 2017. For our first one the Vs were sold out as well. Funny, I didn't think about asking the cabin steward to remove the coffee maker....I just stuck it on the closet shelf!😁

Since so many people do this, I wonder why people book the DV cabins. No more space and only a few perks that mount up to quiet an increase in price...but that's me.

I’m surprised that Viking still offers the V class cabin , other than position on the ship both cabins are the same !

Yes to 110v outlets and 2 USB ports by each nightstand in DV category, plus 5 USP connections in the desk lamp. Then 2 each (110v/220v) outlets alongside each side of the desk, and a few wall outlets too. Also the arrangement of the closet is different between V1/V2 (alongside the bed, inconvenient to access) and DV (opens along the entry corridor). V1/V2 only have 3 small drawers (some ships may have modified half of the closet by inserting a 3 drawer unit that's half height). DV have 12 drawers, plenty of space.

Thanks for telling us the correct names of each of the power connections . For most people there is enough power to power all your equipment.