VIP Photo Sea Card - Review

cp1824

Purchased this online ahead of cruise for $99 with the promise of digital copies of all photos taken during the cruise. This was a great deal, but as with all things MSC Seaside not clear on how it worked.

The photographers on Seaside were great and all photos were added to a single room card. On the last day of the cruise we stopped by the photo desk to add some printed photos that weren't on the card and ask how we would get the digital copies. Their response was that we needed to purchase the digital copy for each picture individually. After a manager was brought over due to frustration on both our part and that of the crew member he looked in a drawer and found a pre-printed VIP Photo card with our cabin number on it - the crew member initially helping us had no idea that this package could be purchased in advance (and with the size of the stack of these cards there were others who had pre-paid as well and not known to go get this card). After a half hour of waiting for the single computer they had available to them to work on photos they were able to move the pictures from the room card to the VIP Photo card. The gave us the card in a nice thick cardboard presentation case. A note to the cabin to pick the card up and some instructions on ensuring all pictures were taken with that card would have been nice to have.

When checking that night we found that not all of the printed pictures had been added to the card and this required another visit to the photo desk. This was fixed after another 30 minute visit.

Tips for those who take advantage of this offer:

- Go by the photo desk ASAP and ensure that you have the photo card

- Any pictures put onto a room card will have to be moved by a photo staff member to the VIP photo card - on the Seaside there was only one computer that could be used to do this and a line of staff waiting to use this single computer

- Pictures on room cards are specific to that persons room card - they don't aggregate across cards for the same cabin

- Check the photo kiosks on a regular basis for pictures from your card to make sure they are all showing up on the card, just drop the card on the NFC spot and it will take you right to the pictures.

The pictures were available to access online 9 days after the cruise (not the 5 or 7 mentioned on board or the 3 on the website). The website allows you to add/remove border and to zoom in/out. We found that if you zoomed in then out you could adjust many pictures that looked like heads were cut off to include the whole head in the picture.

We found out after the cruise that all of the photos could have been accessed and downloaded onto a mobile device while onboard - we didn't know this or we would have done this.

The photos are ~1MB JPG files to download and are 2400x1800 size at 96 dpi. The system is powered by Kodak Alaris and doesn't seem to have the facial recognition technology to automatically assign photos to cabins that exists on other cruise lines.

A bit of instructions with the purchase would have made for a smoother experience, we would definitely purchase again.

• Like 1

How did you purchase this card? I've read about this card but can't seem to find it for purchase and customer service hasn't answered my question regarding it. Our sailing is the MSC Divina but I've seen this card referenced with that ship as well.

How did you purchase this card? I've read about this card but can't seem to find it for purchase and customer service hasn't answered my question regarding it. Our sailing is the MSC Divina but I've seen this card referenced with that ship as well.

It was available on the website for the sailing we were on. It seemed to come and go as an offer on there when we were logged in and looking at the extras available for purchase.

Thank you! I already purchased for both our cabins for Seaside in July good to know we should go by and pick up the card once on board.If I down load them to my phone can I then send them to a photo site like shutterfly to have prints done?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

I'd expect so, we haven't tried printing anywhere yet. This is the text of what came in a .txt file in a bulk download of the photos:

ENGLISH

Photo Download Sale Agreement

CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

By viewing and/or using digital image files contained in the Photo

Download (“Download”), you the buyer (“Buyer”) are agreeing to abide by

the terms hereof.

CONVEYANCE: In consideration for the Download purchase price paid by

Buyer to MSC Cruises Photos through the Photo Site found at

http://www.MyMSCPhotos.com, Sellers hereby grant, sell and convey to Buyer

the intellectual property rights owned by Sellers or their affiliates only in and

to the digital image files contained in the Download (the Photographs).

The Buyer's rights to the Photographs, however, are subject to any and all

intellectual property rights owned by Sellers and their affiliates or by any

third party in and to any borders, greeting cards, trademarks, trade names,

logos, cartoon characters or similar intellectual properties displayed in or

as a part of such digital image files when such files are rendered into visible

form from the Download.

RIGHTS AND RESTRICTIONS CONCERNING USE: In further consideration

of the rights conveyed by Sellers, Buyer agrees not to resell, or otherwise

use in any commercial manner (i.e., use, duplicate, display in any form

or fashion, whether now known or hereafter developed, for the purpose of

receiving or facilitating the receipt of financial remuneration or any

other consideration), the digital image files or the Photographs or

prints of the Photographs. Buyer and Sellers agree that Buyer shall

have the right to create duplicates of the digital image files contained

in the Download and the Photographs for personal use and to give as

gifts, so long as such duplicates are not used in the described

commercial manner. Other than to create duplicates of the digital

image files and the Photographs, Buyer shall receive no right to use,

and shall receive no rights or ownership interest of any type in or

with respect to any other intellectual property rights owned by Sellers

and their affiliates, or by any third party, that are displayed in or

as part of any digital image file or Photograph. All intellectual

property rights (including, without limitation, copyright and trademark

rights) in and to properties depicted in any Photograph shall remain

the property of their respective owners.

I feel like I read somewhere the photo as you board the ship is not included in this? Do you happen to know if this is true or not?

Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Forums mobile app

We missed that picture opportunity, so I can't answer that. We had printed pictures delivered that were from events that we were able to get added to the digital account with no problem (other than the wait for that single shared computer that could do these tasks). The printed pictures had a code on the back that let them add the pictures to the account.

thanks for the info. I was thinking of getting this package for our upcoming cruise. Would you be able to explain a little more on how it works? (sorry I am not familiar with MSC). Do they give you a card (like a CC), and you use this at the end of your cruise to access the pics?

thanks for the info. I was thinking of getting this package for our upcoming cruise. Would you be able to explain a little more on how it works? (sorry I am not familiar with MSC). Do they give you a card (like a CC), and you use this at the end of your cruise to access the pics?

The best way I figure to use it is to get the card as soon as you can from them after boarding and give to photographers each time they take pictures. They use NFC to tap the card to their phone for which account to assign the pictures to. If you do this everything they take except maybe the embarkation photos will be properly assigned to the card.

After returning you can go to mymscphotos.com and access the photos for basic edit (add/remove border and zoom in/out). From what others have reported there is a way to download the photos to your phone/tablet while on board, but as we didn't learn of the card until the end of the cruise we didn't know this to take advantage of it. The card has a code on it to access the pictures from that website.

For $99 this was a great deal and we would definitely recommend it.

Thank you for such a great review. Were there photographers available in all of the picturesque venues? Also, in RCCL, they have several places around the ship that are set up with a plain black or white background, and casual or lifestyle poses were taken (rather than the formal shoots). It was really fun with several casual fun poses. Is this also available on the Seaside?

The best way I figure to use it is to get the card as soon as you can from them after boarding and give to photographers each time they take pictures. They use NFC to tap the card to their phone for which account to assign the pictures to. If you do this everything they take except maybe the embarkation photos will be properly assigned to the card.

After returning you can go to mymscphotos.com and access the photos for basic edit (add/remove border and zoom in/out). From what others have reported there is a way to download the photos to your phone/tablet while on board, but as we didn't learn of the card until the end of the cruise we didn't know this to take advantage of it. The card has a code on it to access the pictures from that website.

excellent detailed info, thanks

Thank you for this! I bought this card for my family's cabin, and for my brother's cabin for Christmas.

I'm not sure if you know the answer to this or not - but we're going with a large group. Do the pictures have to only have the people in the same cabin? Or could I get a picture with my cousin who is in a different cabin and does not have a card? If the card was booked under my husband's name - can I get a picture with my son (in our cabin) without him?

Thank you for the detailed review! I’m on day 7, still no photos in my account. I’ve called and emailed, playing the waiting game for answers and photos. The experience on ship was great, casual (dinner, in front of the ship at port, etc) and professional shots (different backgrounds, angles, etc)...the captain’s photo gets sent to your room for purchase but I easily had it transferred to my vip sea pass at no charge. I did, thankfully download the majority of my photos on my phone each evening. I didn’t do so with the captain’s photo because by the time I had it transferred it was the last night and I had packing and charges on my account that I had to clear up. I’d really like to play with borders and have access to my Captain photo so I hope they show up in my account! You can zoom in and out, save and download while on ship but I was unable to do borders so I think I’d enjoy that.

How long did it take for the photos to show up in your account after arriving home? The website says 3 days, I’ve been off the ship since Jan 13th and still no photos. I’ve called and emailed both with promises to get back with me...still no response or photos.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for such a great review. Were there photographers available in all of the picturesque venues? Also, in RCCL, they have several places around the ship that are set up with a plain black or white background, and casual or lifestyle poses were taken (rather than the formal shoots). It was really fun with several casual fun poses. Is this also available on the Seaside?

Yes, there are areas setup with backdrops for the photographers to take pictures in different settings, including the atrium staircases on Seaside (no backdrop...). You can do formal or casual. Pictures will be taken in the MDR on some nights, and the welcome picture and outside pictures taken on port days are all included.

Note there is a kids club photo and video package which is not included. If you purchase it you can then have the digital pictures added to your card.

How long did it take for the photos to show up in your account after arriving home? The website says 3 days, I’ve been off the ship since Jan 13th and still no photos. I’ve called and emailed both with promises to get back with me...still no response or photos.

I was told on the ship that the pictures get uploaded by WiFi when Seaside is docked in Miami. It is taking longer to upload all the pictures to their servers than they thought it would take and there is a backlog.

Thanks CP1824! I bought this package too. Great info. So if I understand correctly once I have the VIP card we just hand that to the photographer before they take our picture and all the photos will automatically be loaded to it? We can go to the photo gallery and transfer them to a device to save them. A usb stick is okay? If we want a group photo with members in another cabin do you think this will this be a problem with the photographer or they won't care as long as they have a VIP card, they will put the photo on it?

Hi, group pictures are fine as long as you or someone from your cabin are in the pictures.

You give the photographer the photo card to scan after the photos are taken.

You can use your room card instead and have the pictures transferred to your photo card later.

You can’t transfer pictures via USB. You download over wifi one picture at a time to your device while on the ship (best practice).

After a photo shoot, Staff will sometimes hand you a distinct photo shoot card instead of using your room card or VIP photo card. Bring this photo shoot card to the photo centre the next day and they will transfer the pictures for you. This was done primarily for outside shoots after getting off the ship at ports you visit.

If they take a photo of you but do not scan a card, you can find the picture the next day printed at the photo desk. You can then ask the staff to transfer that picture to your VIP photo card. There is a unique number behind all printed photos that they use to pull up the picture on the computer and transfer it to your card. This happened to me during the Super Bowl when staff took pictures of people in the Sports Bar but did not hand out or scan cards.

Hope this helps...

Hi, group pictures are fine as long as you or someone from your cabin are in the pictures.

You give the photographer the photo card to scan after the photos are taken.

You can use your room card instead and have the pictures transferred to your photo card later.

You can’t transfer pictures via USB. You download over wifi one picture at a time to your device while on the ship (best practice).

After a photo shoot, Staff will sometimes hand you a distinct photo shoot card instead of using your room card or VIP photo card. Bring this photo shoot card to the photo centre the next day and they will transfer the pictures for you. This was done primarily for outside shoots after getting off the ship at ports you visit.

If they take a photo of you but do not scan a card, you can find the picture the next day printed at the photo desk. You can then ask the staff to transfer that picture to your VIP photo card. There is a unique number behind all printed photos that they use to pull up the picture on the computer and transfer it to your card. This happened to me during the Super Bowl when staff took pictures of people in the Sports Bar but did not hand out or scan cards.

Hope this helps...

Thanks, sounds a little confusing but I think I get the gist of it. Why do you think no USB because it is wifi? There is no hard connection at their computer? I don't really want to put them on my phone in case there is not enough memory, plus last year I left my phone on a plane:o:'). I have google photos, I guess they can be stored there? Without bringing my laptop anyone have suggestions how to get the images to the USB?