Just back from from the Liberty 12-31-17 sailing. What a cool cruise. Literally!

The basics: Party of 7. Wife and I and our three kids ages 10 - 16, plus my in-laws. Our family of 5 had two connecting inside staterooms deck 7 forward. Great location for us.

Nothing against Galveston, but we won't be sailing from there during the winter months again. Too much risk of cold weather. We arrived three days prior to the cruise, and thank goodness we had a fantastic vacation rental, because we spent more time indoors than planned. We still toured all of Galveston and had a good time. Loved Tortuga's for dinner, especially the Big Juan Burrito (which we shared) and the stuffed shrimp avocado entree's. Saw this place on Food Paradise on TV and decided to try it. The weather was overcast and cold all three days, with max temps of 46, 61, 68.

It was 50 on our sailing day. The high 60's were to be expected this time of year, but it was 49 overcast and very windy when we left port. NOT what we are used to for the sail-away. No party on the pool deck, and barely anyone outside for the sail-away. Good thing there is the wonderful promenade, because the New Years eve party would have been crazy cold outside. Great way to ring in the new year. Tons of fun.

The sea days were pretty cold too. It was never really comfortable shorts weather. Our sea days were in the 60's, maybe peaking into the 70's for a bit. The pools and pool decks were mostly deserted except for the hot tubs.

Despite the cool weather, we had an amazing time! Our food in the MDR was consistently the best we've had, and our waiter and assistant waiter, Mark and Paul, were the best. That made such a big difference. We did the galley tour for the first time and we all enjoyed seeing the inner workings of the kitchen. Definitely different than what I envisioned in my mind, and the filet mignon lunch that was included may have been my favorite meal of the cruise.

We thought the entertainment was all excellent, although I didn't really care for the script of the ice show. Way too slow at the beginning, but picked up at the end. Not the skaters fault though.

Staff throughout the ship were some of the best we've encountered. Very happy with the service!

Our ports, in order were Cozumel, Roatan, and Costa Maya.

Cozumel weather was very nice. Sunny and mid 70's. Spent the day at the all inclusive Nachi Cocum beach club. Will definitely be going back there if we are in Cozumel again. Loved having the pool and hot tub in addition to the beautiful beach. Not crowded, since they limit the guests. Good food and drinks included. I think our kids averaged 5-10 virgin strawberry daiquiris each! :)

Roatan was overcast, windy, but a nice upper 70's. Did a private tour of the island. This is by far the poorest island we've visited. (we'll except Labadee in Haiti but that doasn't really count since you stay in the private area for RCCL). Loved the monkey petting zoo with the sloths and macaws as well. West Bay beach was pretty nice, but we've seen better. Too windy to snorkel unfortunately.

The best was Costa Maya, at the Maya Chan beach resort. Mid to upper 70's and sunny. Wow! Top notch service. Fantastic food. Drinks included.... Beautiful views... Our own palapa with hammock, chairs and bed... $25 massages... and again, I think our kids averaged 5-10 virgin strawberry daiquiris each! :) can't say enough. Only downside is the drive there and back on the crazy bumpy beach access road.

Overall a great vacation! Happy to answer any questions.

Dan

Great review. We are sailing Liberty 4/1 and looking forward to it!

Can you tell me a bit more about the galley tour? How much was it? When was it offered? Do you need to book that in advance of sailing?

Thank you!

Thanks for the review. We're sailing on Liberty early February. We booked ages ago since Liberty had been the only ship visiting Roatan and Costa maya. Now they've added ships from Florida, which would be much more Convenient for us coming from NY, but everything is paid, so we will deal with it. Concerned about getting there from NY...hoping the weather cooperates. We're coming into Houston a day early. Also concerned about the cold weather. We are snorkeling at all three stops. May cancel if it's going to be cold.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great review. We are sailing Liberty 4/1 and looking forward to it!

Can you tell me a bit more about the galley tour? How much was it? When was it offered? Do you need to book that in advance of sailing?

Thank you!

It was $35 each plus taxes, so for two of us it was $75. (they let our kids go free). It was offered on the last day, Day 7 and it started a 11am. You book a day or two before it is offered, through your MDR waiter or head waiter.

You meet together as a group in the deck 4 main dining room and they serve you either sparkling wine, momosa's or orange juice. Then you get broken into groups of 20 and are guided through the galley. Try to stay close to your guide because if you are in the back then it can be hard to hear. They take you through all areas of the kitchen and explain the whole process. Cameras and video are welcome.

Then you come out to your own lunch area that is setup with a fruit and cheese bar and then you chose your entree from the following:

• Oven baked chicken breast wrapped with bacon
  • Char Grilled 6oz Filet mignon with sauteed garlic shrimps
  • Herb Marinated Swordfish
  • Fresh Made Pasta
  • Spinach Potato Gnocchi with Putanesca sauce

Dessert was a chef's surprise, which for us was chocolate cake

Took about 2 hours total.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

That beach club in Cozumel looks really great. How was the food? And how much was your transportation to and from?

Great place.

Wide variety of mexican food choices on their menu, and it was good. Not mind blowing, but very good. When you book the all inclusive package, you get to order off the full menu. I think it was one starter, one soup or salad, and one entree. PLENTY of food.

The taxi for 7 of us was $34 each way if I remember correctly.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

Thanks for the review. Sailing on lady liberty in a week and a half b2b. I will make sure i bring plenty of jackets and sweaters!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We all pretty much had a pullover, or a hoodie sweatshirt, or similar and just threw that on when we went up on deck on the cooler days. You don't really need many, just one option was fine for us. They take up too much room in the luggage. :)

Dan

Thanks for the review. We're sailing on Liberty early February. We booked ages ago since Liberty had been the only ship visiting Roatan and Costa maya. Now they've added ships from Florida, which would be much more Convenient for us coming from NY, but everything is paid, so we will deal with it. Concerned about getting there from NY...hoping the weather cooperates. We're coming into Houston a day early. Also concerned about the cold weather. We are snorkeling at all three stops. May cancel if it's going to be cold.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whether you are going out of Florida or Texas, it's really only the first and last sea day that are different. Once you are down by the ports it doesn't matter where you sailed from. I wouldn't worry about it.

Dan

Sail April 8, same itinerary as you. Who was cruise director? Who did you do the tour with on Roatan?

Bodden tours. Our guide was Dolie (not sure if I spelled it right but it’s pronounced like Dolly but with a long O). He was excellent, born and raised there and was a room steward for Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines for 30 years.

Personally I would skip the long drive through the east side of the island unless you really want to see the everyday life of the inhabitants of Roatan. It gave everyone in our party a welcome appreciation how good we have it here in the US. Wonderful people but a very poor area.... and lots of pot holes :)

Our cruise director was Drew Divine.

Dan

Bodden tours. Our guide was Dolie (not sure if I spelled it right but it’s pronounced like Dolly but with a long O). He was excellent, born and raised there and was a room steward for Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines for 30 years.

Personally I would skip the long drive through the east side of the island unless you really want to see the everyday life of the inhabitants of Roatan. It gave everyone in our party a welcome appreciation how good we have it here in the US. Wonderful people but a very poor area.... and lots of pot holes :)

Our cruise director was Drew Divine.

Dan

Thank you. We are going with Bodden also.

I just booked Maya Chan for the end of March. We are looking forward to it, but just hoping our 13 year old son doesn't get bored. He does like to kayak and SUP, so I figure it will be good. There was enough there to keep your kids happy?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

All of our kids LOVED it. Lots of water toys to play with, play on the beach, eat lunch, chill under your umbrella or palapa, get a massage, play with the two very nice dogs, play cornhole, etc...

Dan

I am thinking about taking my 2 kids (2 year old boy and 5 year old daughter) in early March on the Liberty out of Galveston also. I'm worried about enough things to do to keep them occupied. Did you by chance notice the baby and toddler pool for little ones in diapers?

Thanks

There was a huge Artic Front that swept most of the South.

You would have had Chilly weather if you were sailing out of Florida.

I wouldn't rule that port out because of the Cold.

Most of the time it is hot & humid in Galveston.

You just had an off week.

Normally if sailing from Nov - Mar, the morning of the 1st and afternoon of the last sea days can be a bit chili.

There was a cold front.

However it was in the 70’s in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area the same time we were having 49 and windy in Galveston. There are other challenges with Galveston too, like getting back and forth from the airport.

I wouldn’t mind sailing from there during the warmer months but for us it’s not worth the increased risk of colder weather.

Dan