First Time Cruising out of NOLA

Hello everyone!

This is our first time in NOLA and I'm sorta scared!!! It all seems so overwhelming!

Me, Husband, and 2 kids (15, 13) will be in NOLA for one night in March.

what do i need to know?

Where do we stay?

How do I get to the hotel from the airport?

How do I get to the port from the hotel?

I'm starting to get anxiety over it all....

TYIA

G:*

The Warehouse District or Business District is close to just about everything, so I would suggest looking there. You can walk or grab the streetcars (get a one day pass for cheap!). Eat anywhere - the food's always great. Mulate's at the corner of Julia St. and Convention Center would be a great place to bring a family. Which week in March? We're on the March 18 cruise.

Can't help you on airport transportation, though. We always drive down.

We just did. Stayed out by the airport. Hotel had free shuttle. Then took Uber next morning to the port. All was pretty painless. New Orleans cruise port is kinda packed tight into a narrow feeder street and traffic really backs up but otherwise no sweat.

We just did a cruise out of NOLA over Christmas, and it couldn't have been easier. We got an Uber from the airport to our hotel, about $35 (including a $5 tip). We stayed at the Embassy Suites on Julia St for about $100/night. It was a 5min walk to the port in the morning. Super easy.

Just returned from cruise on Jan 7th. Our experience. Taxi from Airport to Hotel St.Marie in French Quarter was $36.00, there was 2 of us. Same for return from Hotel to Airport. I think 4 can ride in taxi. Taxi from Hotel to Cruise Port was $16.00 for two of us. I remember the name of one taxi service recommended to us, United Taxi, can call them for quotes. the Hotel was one block from Bourbon street and close to everything in French Quarter. Hotel had a little bar and restaurant. Had breakfast at Hotel, good.

Went to Mardi gras World, their shuttle picked us up one block from Hotel. beware though the return trip was after 4pm, they do not take you back to where you got on, they only take you to Canal Street, which if everyone is mobile no problem walking about 8 blocks back to Hotel. Getting on the Ship at the terminal was very easy. Although we have been to New Orleans several times before, even as a first timer, it is pretty easy to figure things out. Enjoy your Cruise.

Taxi or UBER to get to hotel and port. Calculate the difference, though, to just stay at the Hilton Riverside (we are this time in March). Its literally at the port and just a hike through the mall to the terminal. Otherwise you can do fancy, quaint, or pseudo-budget around the quarter. The best lesson learned, you've already got. Don't take a car to NOLA. Too much hassle paying for parking and traffic. (Especially the week you are cruising) It is a foot and streetcar kind of place.

We just did. Stayed out by the airport. Hotel had free shuttle. Then took Uber next morning to the port. All was pretty painless. New Orleans cruise port is kinda packed tight into a narrow feeder street and traffic really backs up but otherwise no sweat.

This is what we did as well... found the port to be quite easy.

If you have any standing with Caesar's, you can try to get a discounted room at Harrah's. They're right next door to the Hilton.:)

And if Harrah's is full, they have been known to comp rooms at other close by hotels. My friend was comped a stay at Hilton one time and Le Meridien another. Both, along with Harrah's hotel, are close enough to walk to the port. Harrah's Hotel is really beautiful. We always stay there before and after our NOLA cruises.

TOTALLY agree! DH and I are considering another cruise out of NO just for the ability to eat at MOTHERS! We enjoyed many great highly rated restaurants as we flew in 2 days before....but DH STILL talks about MOTHERS!

Haven't tried it before. What are your must haves at Mothers?

I highly suggest the residence inn in Metairie, where we always stay due to the amazing service (yes at a residence inn), and we love the 2br/2ba setup with the kids, and it’s under 200 a night with a great breakfast in the am. Can get to the cruise port in under 15 mins, and you will be missing NOTHING by not staying closer to the craptastic smelly quarter. Just my thoughts, have a great time!!