Cruise Critic Community
gladgirl

Schonbrunn Palace as optional excursion?

Our Avalon cruise offers the Schonbrunn Palace excursion included in our tour price because of our cruise' emphasis on the Habsburgs. Is this an interesting tour or would our afternoon be better spent touring Vienna on our own since we have never been there before?

Go to Vienna. Lots more to see and do. Careful of the pick pockets. They work in pairs. Stand with back towards the wall so no one is behind you.

I agree. If Avalon does not include a good amount of time in Vienna, stay there. Research what you would like to see which is not already provided for you by Avalon and explore because there is indeed a lot to see. In fact, we flew back from Budapest to Vienna after our Danube cruise for three more days to see more of the city (visited the Schonbrunn on our own). It's easy to use the trams there. We're excited about returning to Vienna in December with Uniworld and will take excursions to still more sites we missed the first time.

Great info, thanks! We will only be in Vienna one day/night and the morning includes a guided walking tour of the main sites.

Great info, thanks! We will only be in Vienna one day/night and the morning includes a guided walking tour of the main sites.

Ah, in that case I would stay in the city center and have lunch and explore, maybe visit the Hofburg Imperial Apartments and Sisi Museum or a rehearsal of the Lippizaners if offered at a convenient time.

The Palace and grounds are a pretty spectacular summer home. The Imperial Apartments are the city home.

With any luck you'll see the riding school stables on your walking tour.

It's tough to make a wrong choice.

You could play it by ear. If the weather is fine, the gardens at Schoenbrunn are not to be missed. You can visit them on your own and it's an enjoyable place to spend an hour or two. It's easy to get there by Metro but you'd have to check if the line is re-opened (there was work going on last year). The Palace is spectacular but if your included tour visits the Hofberg, it is a little redundant. If you only have one day, I'd pick one or the other but not both.

No matter what you choose, don't think that you can come close to seeing Vienna in a day. It's huge and you'd need more like a week. So pick a few interesting, varied, sights and go for it. As CPT Trips points out, there aren't many wrong choices. It's a beautiful city and there is a lot to do. We've spent the better part of three days there and it's all been fun.

PS it's not mandatory to take the included tour. If there are stops on your included tour that don't interest you, it may be more efficient to strike out on your own. You only have a day, so make the most of it!

We actually loved our time at Schoenbrunn. It is lovely and in addition they put on a concert for us that was a mini version of New Year's Eve in Vienna which was wonderful. It would be a hard choice- we had an extra few days in Vienna both before and after our cruise. But the opportunity to attend the NYE concert in miniature won my heart. We got to clap along with the Radetzky March! (those of you who watch the concert will know what that is about)

We're doing the Avalon Amsterdam-to-Budapest cruise in September, and plan to return to Vienna for a few days after we disembark. I'd be interested to know exactly what's included in Avalon's "included" excursion (drive-around only, or actual entrance into some of the sites?) and what options are offered for the "afternoon free time." This will help us to plan what we want to do when we return to Vienna after the cruise. Thanks.

We're doing the Avalon Amsterdam-to-Budapest cruise in September, and plan to return to Vienna for a few days after we disembark. I'd be interested to know exactly what's included in Avalon's "included" excursion (drive-around only, or actual entrance into some of the sites?) and what options are offered for the "afternoon free time." This will help us to plan what we want to do when we return to Vienna after the cruise. Thanks.

We disembarked from our Avalon cruise in Vienna and had a morning tour before being dropped off at our post cruise hotel. Bus drove by some sights on the Ringstrasse but then dropped us off for what was primarily a walking tour of city center. Guide pointed out sights which we might want to return to and gave us some historical background information.

Thanks, marymcgol. Your experience tends to confirm my suspicion that the "included" city tour of Vienna on our cruise won't actually go into anything, but that we'll be on our own to do that.

Our Avalon cruise offers the Schonbrunn Palace excursion included in our tour price because of our cruise' emphasis on the Habsburgs. Is this an interesting tour or would our afternoon be better spent touring Vienna on our own since we have never been there before?

Only one day in Vienna and the morning taken up with a walking tour? That only gives you an afternoon. I would certainly skip Schönbrunn Palace. Stay in the centre of the city and visit the Hofburg if you want to see a palace. If you are an art lover, you won’t want to miss the Kunsthistorisches Museum and the Belvedere with its fabulous Klimt collection. As a music lover, there are a number of places to which I gravitate when in Vienna.

If you think you can find your own way around I would suggest you go with the walking tour to start and then ditch it if it seems not to cover the things you would like to see.

Check out the highlights in a guidebook that you would like to see and then make a plan to include those that really interest you. As I mentioned, one day in Vienna is not much, so try to make the best of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we are on a viking cruise, Budapest to Amsterdam in July, with 2 days in Vienna, is it worth going to the evening concert at Schoenbrunn and seeing the palace instead of concert at Palais Auersperg? unfortunately, in the summer I believe there is no opera. can't wait to go see the Klimts in person! and the Lippizaner stallions go on vacation in the summer also, too bad. I think the mares and foals are still there.

When we were in Vienna for three days on our own, I really wanted to see the Lippinzan stallions perform. The setting is impressive, but we left after 45 minutes. Why? The entire performance was dressage, which I know is complicated and takes a lot of training, but was after a while became pretty boring, not to mention dealing with all the crowds.

Learning that descendants of the stallions are also bred and trained in Myakka Florida, we took our horse-crazy grandaughter to see them. I actually liked this performance much better: Horses rearing up, dancing on hind legs and racing around the track. Plus, you get to pet and feed them. The cost? Five dollar donation!

On 1/15/2018 at 4:00 PM, gladgirl said:

Schonbrunn Palace is amazing - we visited on our own utilizing the metro (to get there) and an audio guide (to tour the palace). Since you have only one day in Vienna, I would recommend staying in the historical city center at the end of your morning walking tour. You can then visit the Hofburg (the collection is absolutely amazing) and other sights that interest you within the historical center.