RCCL new Diamond Lounge Policy?

seeyakids

Another nice feature would be if they standardize the ability to use the vouchers in the MDR and specialty restaurants across the fleet.

Yes! We had a December 31 and January 7 B2B cruise on the Oasis with the ability to use the vouchers practically anywhere. It was great. Then we got off Oasis on the 14 th and got on Majesty on January 15th and we’re not permitted to use the drink vouchers in the dining room or Windjammer.

M

We were on the Harmony 2 weeks ago. At the top tier event was a Q&A session with Michael Bayley, who joined the ship in Jamaica.

A diamond member asked him specifically about plans to stop them using the lounge & he assured her categorically that this was NOT going to happen. He said they were looking at ways to better use the lounge space, but this did not involve excluding diamond members.

Remember last CEO Adam Goldstein now COO also stated that D+ would never be thrown out of the CL. Dirty trick to rename it the SL.

We were on the Harmony 2 weeks ago. At the top tier event was a Q&A session with Michael Bayley, who joined the ship in Jamaica.

A diamond member asked him specifically about plans to stop them using the lounge & he assured her categorically that this was NOT going to happen. He said they were looking at ways to better use the lounge space, but this did not involve excluding diamond members.

That is called a self-defense mechanism, not necessarily a fact. I imagine he wanted to leave the Q&A as living human being, and not torn to tiny bits by hostile Diamonds.... Being a cynical person, I always assume I am being told some of the truth to make me happy and not all of the truth to keep their options open in the future. :evilsmile:

JC

If I recall correctly that comment was in relation to the small size of some lounges in relation to the number of D & D+ on ships. He said they were aware that the lounges were, in most cases not big enough to accommodate the numbers & they were looking at ways to improve this.

While a few years away, it will be interesting to see how much they devote to the lounges on Icon class ships - being a brand new design, they can do anything.

And I know you’re enjoying the conversion to Suite Lounges. [emoji33]

Can’t wait until this is phase in is completed. Hope the new SL’s have beautiful views with a window unlike many CL without. Suite Guests should have prime locations to enjoy their FREE drinks and coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No problems with that,if you pay top dollar you deserve it.

I agree the CL on some ships are not as good as the DL.288f056684bac4beb0b1815104bc91cf.jpg

This was 2 days ago in a 5 star Tenerife hotel and a reason why we spread our holidays between JS and balcony cabins and a land based holiday every 2 months rather than booking GS and above only.

Regards Graham.

There is two ways to look at this. Alcohol sales have a huge profit margin so it isn’t a small price to provide them for FREE.

True but for UK bookings we get a free drinks package forced onto us with no option no cancel it where the cruise price is increased by £200-£400pp or $260-$520pp to pay for it.

You yourself pointed out the cheapness of the wines in the packages ond DL which the cost price with RC buying power must be minimal.

No problems with that,if you pay top dollar you deserve it.

I agree the CL on some ships are not as good as the DL.288f056684bac4beb0b1815104bc91cf.jpg

This was 2 days ago in a 5 star Tenerife hotel and a reason why we spread our holidays between JS and balcony cabins and a land based holiday every 2 months rather than booking GS and above only.

Regards Graham.

Looks like a great place to dine.

I thought the UK was fairly cold during the Winter. This appears to be an outdoor location??

You wife is lovely and nice couple pictures.

That is called a self-defense mechanism, not necessarily a fact. I imagine he wanted to leave the Q&A as living human being, and not torn to tiny bits by hostile Diamonds.... Being a cynical person, I always assume I am being told some of the truth to make me happy and not all of the truth to keep their options open in the future. :evilsmile:

JC

Very true statement which i agree with.

I thought the UK was fairly cold during the Winter. This appears to be an outdoor location??

Tenerife is in the Canaries

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Tenerife is in the Canary Islands. Lovely place kind of reminds me of Hawaii but more desert like. Except for El Tiede which looks like the surface of the moon.

JC

We are in the UK too and have only ever had the drinks promo once. We wait to book when it is not on offer as it's not much use to us and generally as you say puts the price up significantly. The time that we did have it we booked as soon as the cruise came out for a particular cabin and we felt we got a great price anyway. My parents also cruise RCL and have started to book a guarantee as this never includes the drink package and is at a much cheaper price.

Julie

This is what I thought was the case with the UK drink package. I see one poster constantly posting differently, yet all the other UK posters are not complaining about being forced to purchase a drink package. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thank you.

This was at Hotel Adrian Jardins de Nivaria in Costa adeja Tenerife

This is what I thought was the case with the UK drink package. I see one poster constantly posting differently, yet all the other UK posters are not complaining about being forced to purchase a drink package. Thanks for sharing your experience.

As D+ we have the option of free drinks for 3 hours a day and as little alcohol drinkers we would never ever buy a drinks package.

You yourself pointed out the cheapness of the wines in the packages ond DL which the cost price with RC buying power must be minimal.

Oh I agree, the FREE wines are cheap. These wines are typically $12 a glass or close too it. That’s a lot of lost profit to give away a $1 a glass (that might be high) when they could be making $11 profit off that wine.

People think in different ways....

Yep. My bad. I just assumed they were having dinner in the UK. [emoji33]

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-dSFTnWt/0/b1550c6f/S/i-dSFTnWt-S.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-RDZBdgx/0/3853cd09/S/i-RDZBdgx-S.jpg

Two shots inside the crater of El Tiede.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bXGrQ9M/0/07374f6a/S/i-bXGrQ9M-S.jpg

View from our English friends patio in Los Gigantes, on Tenerife.

The Canary Islands are where a lot of Europe goes in the winter.

JC

As D+ we have the option of free drinks for 3 hours a day and as little alcohol drinkers we would never ever buy a drinks package.

All of which has nothing to do with your claim that you are forced to buy a drink package. No other UK poster makes the claim that you do. Some post that it is a fairly consistent promotion, but not that there is no other choice but to take the price with the drink package.

There is two ways to look at this. Alcohol sales have a huge profit margin so it isn’t a small price to provide them for FREE.

When you figure in what they’re paying for booze, it’s a small price. I’d bet my 3 vouchers don’t even cost them $6.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-dSFTnWt/0/b1550c6f/S/i-dSFTnWt-S.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-RDZBdgx/0/3853cd09/S/i-RDZBdgx-S.jpg

Two shots inside the crater of El Tiede.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bXGrQ9M/0/07374f6a/S/i-bXGrQ9M-S.jpg

View from our English friends patio in Los Gigantes, on Tenerife.

The Canary Islands are where a lot of Europe goes in the winter.

JC

Great photos.

So you are saying that because your group was d+ and pinnacle the bartender didn't swipe your cards? While the person next to you was only diamond, his card was swiped for the drink?

Was he ordering a drink not on the d menu? Or maybe he had a drink package? Just curious to why the bartender would do that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Good points. At this time, I can't recall the type of drink. Equally good point that he may have had a package, and I didn't think of that.

However, the D+ and Ps we were with did not need to give cards. By the second day, the bartenders knew us and we didn't even need to show our cards.

I can't explain the preferential treatment. I went in assuming I would have to use the vouchers.

When you figure in what they’re paying for booze, it’s a small price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But what about the huge profit margin they would make if the sold the same booze. I know many look at it as they are only losing x on the FREE drinks but it also may be looked as losing y (the mark up).