Just off the Breakaway

Giantfan13

Was on the same sailing and agree, Food was good but service was inconsistent. Had good service in Taste, horrendous in Savor, good in the MDR, good in Lacuccina, and so so in Cagneys. The Captains name is Matko and never saw him really out and about but he was on often with updates. While the medical evacuation, that caused us to lose Aruba, was outside of their control the fact that we left so late was directly on them. The Captain blamed it on loading of provisions for a 14 day sailing which I call BS as they turn these ships around in 7-8 hours and they were in port for over 24 hours. In fact the 14 day trip after us left in a 7 hour turn around. I blame it on all the people who were late arriving due to the weather. I understand that but it is unfair to penalize say 3900 passengers with a missed port to accommodate 100 late arrivals.

As others have said this ship is just poorly designed with respect to public areas especially when the outdoor decks are closed like they were for us for 3-4 days. The biggest problem I had with this cruise from day one was the way they handled the port changes releasing them after final payment. We all trusted NCL would exchange port for port like they had done with other impacted itineraries but when they went from 8 to 5 was very disappointing. They did though give us a credit for the missed sea day and also a 25% credit from the fare we paid for a future cruise. I thought that was very fair.

Rok of Ages, Burn the Floor, Howl at the Moon, Jazz Club, and Arvin and Emily were all good. The other entertainment was disappointing. Missed the hypnotist but have seen her and others in the past and the shows are pretty much the same. Magicians get a bit boring after the first 10 minutes. The one singer was advertised as atribute to Elton John and half his ongs were not even John's. The Caroles Kings were mediocre it is difficult to have males do female songs.

Disembarkation was a nightmare as they were delayed due to one gentlemen they kept calling for that I guess CBP had an interest in. Then while we did walk off others complained about the lack of porters which is the ports fault and not NCL's. I believe that NCL needs to start limiting walk offs or have strict enforcement of the luggage tag color to even the flow off the ship.

Another huge unaddressed problem is as usual the chair hogs at the pool that they do nothing to address. I was on the Jade in OCt and attendents there kept track of vacant chairs and removed towels. All ships should do this and the limited pool area on the Breakaway makes this a bigger issue.

Whitnee

The Captain blamed it on loading of provisions for a 14 day sailing which I call BS as they turn these ships around in 7-8 hours and they were in port for over 24 hours. In fact the 14 day trip after us left in a 7 hour turn around. I blame it on all the people who were late arriving due to the weather. I understand that but it is unfair to penalize say 3900 passengers with a missed port to accommodate 100 late arrivals.

I never heard this, but it WAS true. For some reason, we were outside awaiting our departure, which was suppose to be 3PM on Saturday. We were out on deck 8 and we were watching, in amazement, as they were loading skid after skid of pineapple and honeydews. There were others out there, braving the cold, watching this, just wondering why they were doing this late Saturday afternoon instead of Friday or all day Saturday. Some one told us the fruit had to come from Florida and was late getting there because of the storm. Who knows, but once all that fruit was loaded, about 4:30, we left immediately.

Agree with all your other accounts. Not a bad cruise, but just not the best.

Cheers

Len

Since we were talking about design issues, one that I had, and heard many say something about, is there are no hand rails in the theater. No big deal many may think, but if you are handicapped in any way, or just need to hold on when the ship is rolling, there is NOTHING to hold onto except the back of some one else's seat. We usually stay in the back rows, but on the last sea day when they had the ship's crew show, the ship was rocking and rolling pretty good and people were holding on for dear life just to get down the stairs in the theater.

Some one said to us, and we have repeated it several times. seems the person that designed this ship never cruised before. ;);););););)

Cheers

Len

• 2 months later...