Cruise Critic Community
AmandaLMcL

12 suitcases and more....!?

Has anyone had experience using one of the over the door shoe holders on a cruise? I'm concerned they will damage the closet door and/or not let the door close completely. When I look at reviews on Amazon, many people love them (in their own home), while others show pictures of damage or state the door doesn't close with it on. I'd love to try one, but with packing space so precious, I hate to bring something unless I'm quite sure it will work. Thoughts?

I have the same question about the over the door shoe holder. I would want the door to be able to shut completely with out any damage. I would love to see a photo of what worked for people.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:41 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I read in another thread somewhere here about people taking those flocked hangers that come in sets of 10, that you can buy at Costco and some dollar stores, and using them in the closets instead of the bulky wooden ones provided by most cruise lines.  Anybody done this kind of thing?  Is this overkill?  My husband would almost certainly think so, but those wooden hangers, as nice as they are, have gotten in my way even on short cruises.

Definitely going to have some kind of hanging shoe thingy.

We've done it ... bought them from Costco at our embarkation port and asked the steward to remove all the wooden ones.  They work much better than the wire ones they provide on the ship when you ask for extra hangers ... things don't slip off them.

23 minutes ago, travelwell said:

I have the same question about the over the door shoe holder. I would want the door to be able to shut completely with out any damage. I would love to see a photo of what worked for people.

12 hours ago, sunshineocean13 said:

Has anyone had experience using one of the over the door shoe holders on a cruise? I'm concerned they will damage the closet door and/or not let the door close completely. When I look at reviews on Amazon, many people love them (in their own home), while others show pictures of damage or state the door doesn't close with it on. I'd love to try one, but with packing space so precious, I hate to bring something unless I'm quite sure it will work. Thoughts?

We use them on all of our long cruises ... sometimes on the back of the cabin door, sometimes on the exterior of the bathroom door ... and once on the wall using heavy duty magnetic hooks.  Have never had any problems with the doors not closing properly and have never damaged any of the doors we've used them on.

2 hours ago, travelwell said:

It's going to depend largely on the ship, so you may want to ask about this on the forum for the cruise line in question. On Regent, the holder fit nicely on the outside of the closet door, since they provide walk-in closets. We chose the outside because hanging it inside got in the way of something (I forget what).   On Crystal, which has sliding closet doors and therefore wouldn't take a hanging anything, an over-door did not fit on the bathroom door or entry door and allow it to close properly. So, instead, we found an under-bed shoe holder with 16 compartments and kept it under the sofa in the room (as we were storing suitcases with our clothes for the cold climates that would come toward the end of the cruise under the bed).

On 9/17/2019 at 6:28 AM, h2so4 said:

We've done it ... bought them from Costco at our embarkation port and asked the steward to remove all the wooden ones.  They work much better than the wire ones they provide on the ship when you ask for extra hangers ... things don't slip off them.

Thanks for the encouragement. A couple of sets of ten?

On 9/16/2019 at 6:05 PM, sunshineocean13 said:

I just discussed this in the post before yours.

My over-the-door-shoe-holder has 26 compartments where I kept my shoes. It was wonderful! It freed up space on the closet floor where I kept my laundry bag. I hooked it on the inside of the closet door so it couldn't be seen. I brought it home since I plan to take it on my next cruise. 

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Thanks for the encouragement. A couple of sets of ten?

If my recollection is accurate, it was a box of 30.

Here's the type of shoe holder I was talking about earlier.  Not sure I want to have something hanging over the closet door, especially if it has to be on the outside (I'm talking Regent Mariner here):

https://www.amazon.com/mDesign-Soft-Fabric-Closet-Organizer/dp/B06XMYPTHT/ref=sr_1_52?keywords=closet+shoe+holder&qid=1568829774&sr=8-52

And we're not really shoe people.  I'll be hard-pressed to convince David to bring more than two pairs with him.  I like my evening sandals,  a pair of evening flats, my walking shoes, sports sandals and flip flops but no heels for me, and my evening sandals are changeable (switchflops.)  Oh, and water shoes, but they don't really count.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

On 9/18/2019 at 2:07 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I like this one, but it would have taken up too much closet space. Even using skinny wire hangers, my roommates' and my clothes took up the whole closet! No one could see my shoe hanger...the closet door was able to shut.

11 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

o one could see my shoe hanger...the closet door was able to shut.

I hear you. I'm just thinking we'd have to hang it outside.  We had an accessible cabin on Mariner, which didn't have a walk in,  but trying to visualize the closets on Voyager and Navigator, I think there might be something behind the door that prevents hanging it inside.

11 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I hear you. I'm just thinking we'd have to hang it outside.  We had an accessible cabin on Mariner, which didn't have a walk in,  but trying to visualize the closets on Voyager and Navigator, I think there might be something behind the door that prevents hanging it inside.

There is something that prevents hanging inside, but I can't recall what it was. That's why we kept ours on the outside. We didn't use the kind that hang on a rod because,  after they took  all those drawers out of the sitting area in Navigator, they tried to make up for it by putting another, small, dresser in the closet directly under some of the rod space. We did use the space between the rod and dresser by putting a small hanging shelf piece there and using that for more "drawer" space. It all worked out. 

On 9/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I think there might be something behind the door that prevents hanging it inside.

That's too bad. Some people hang their shoes inside the bathroom on the door. 

On 9/21/2019 at 3:27 AM, wishIweretravelling said:

There is something that prevents hanging inside, but I can't recall what it was. That's why we kept ours on the outside. We didn't use the kind that hang on a rod because,  after they took  all those drawers out of the sitting area in Navigator, they tried to make up for it by putting another, small, dresser in the closet directly under some of the rod space. We did use the space between the rod and dresser by putting a small hanging shelf piece there and using that for more "drawer" space. It all worked out. 

Usually there are hooks or similar on the inside of the bathroom door to hang robes and towels.  We have not found that hanging the shoe holder on the outside of the bathroom door or the  inside back of the cabin door takes up too much room, but then we most often use these holders as a catch all for eye glasses, belts, and other small stuff that we want to grab and go.

13 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

That's too bad. Some people hang their shoes inside the bathroom on the door. 

Yeah, possible, although that may well be where I hang my cosmetic bag (which is so very full of all the little things like to have at hand.)  It's also where we like to hang those huge big robes they provide (I'm thinking of bringing a very light, perhaps silk one since I really don't like those heavy ones.)  Nice to have such problems, eh?

Well I asked someone over on the Regent board about the closet in the standard suite, and was told that there's nothing preventing something being hung on the inside.  So that's great to know.  Perhaps the walk-ins in the larger suites are the same.