Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That still happens on some ships in some markets.

Until 2-3 years ago longer Caribbean cruises would always have half the Formal nites smoke free and when there was 3 Formal nites 2 would be smoke free. Now it's half the Casino that's non-smoking-smoke free(or free smoke). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Marci, that seemed to largely go away at the same time smoking was prohibited on guest stateroom balconies.

Thanks Bob, makes sense.  I thought it had something to do with less formal or non existent formal nights.

 

M  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

That still happens on some ships in some markets.

I always used to take advantage of those nights - problem was, you could never eliminate the stench and your hair and clothing would come away stinking. Now, I’m one who can sit in front of a slot machine for hours, so they have definitely lost casino income from me because I can no longer bear it. Celebrity was our line of choice before trying RCI, now we’ve gravitated back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this doesn’t change, I always like to second hand smoke when I gamble!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where can you go on land that allows smoking indoors? Nowhere! I've been a loyal Celebrity user predominately because of their strict smoking rules. I'm about to try Royal for the first time and am praying they change this annoying, unhealthy policy before I sail. If it was just a matter of passing thru a smoky casino, that wouldn't be so bad but the way smoke travels and the smell of it lingers on your clothing forever makes it intolerable. For all you smokers that disagree, would you mind if I coughed in your face for several hours at a time? I bet you would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, italia103 said:

Where can you go on land that allows smoking indoors? Nowhere! I've been a loyal Celebrity user predominately because of their strict smoking rules. I'm about to try Royal for the first time and am praying they change this annoying, unhealthy policy before I sail. If it was just a matter of passing thru a smoky casino, that wouldn't be so bad but the way smoke travels and the smell of it lingers on your clothing forever makes it intolerable. For all you smokers that disagree, would you mind if I coughed in your face for several hours at a time? I bet you would.

Sorry, but if you are booked for this year there will not likely be any changes to the policy for the casino, and prayers will not help. I think if they are going to make that type of change, there would likely be a few month window. I do not remember how long in advance they gave notice when it went away on the balconies, but I am sure someone here would remember. 

 

Wow, smokers are coughing in your face? I have never seen that happen... seems like a silly comparison to walking through a smokey casino.

 

Just avoid the casino, you will be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, italia103 said:

Where can you go on land that allows smoking indoors? 

 

 

Oh, almost any casino I've ever been in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sft429 said:

 

Oh, almost any casino I've ever been in...

 

No smoking in Illinois casinos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I avoid IL like the plague so I've never been in a casino there 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sft429 said:

I avoid IL like the plague so I've never been in a casino there 🙂

 

I'll be doing that soon too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sft429 said:

 

Oh, almost any casino I've ever been in...

No smoking in Maryland Casinos. 

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The was smoking in Wisconsin casinos the last time we were there, but that was 4ish years ago. Hopefully that is now a thing of the past there too.

 

I am excited to sail from Sydney next month since there wont be smoking in the casino. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

 

I'll be doing that soon too!

Had enough of it???  I'd like to, but we can't get our house sold  😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Sorry, but if you are booked for this year there will not likely be any changes to the policy for the casino, and prayers will not help. I think if they are going to make that type of change, there would likely be a few month window. I do not remember how long in advance they gave notice when it went away on the balconies, but I am sure someone here would remember. 

 

Wow, smokers are coughing in your face? I have never seen that happen... seems like a silly comparison to walking through a smokey casino.

 

Just avoid the casino, you will be fine. 

Was a silly comparison, geeze...ive seen non smokers leave a bathroom, and not wash there hands and then see them at a machine or at a table, NOW that is disgusting!

Just saying - 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SirRedman said:

Had enough of it???  I'd like to, but we can't get our house sold  😞

 

I don't want to hear that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mngolfer said:

I hope this doesn’t change, I always like to second hand smoke when I gamble!

 

Cheapest way to smoke. 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2018 at 11:30 PM, skid10 said:

Just got off Adventure OTS yesterday and sailed her last year also. The casino is located right next to the Schooner Bar on Deck 4. Deck 3 does not go through forward to aft so to avoid walking through the casino we had to go to deck 5, walk through and go down. Even though the casino has smoking areas, the entire casino is affected. There are six or so tables in the Schooner Bar right at the edge of the casino and if you don't like the smell of smoke you cannot sit there.

Couldn't agree more with this post.   I was on Adventure in early November and LOVE to frequent casinos, but it was just awful.   Thank goodness we had a balcony and plastic clothespins so I could put every stitch of clothing on the balcony during the night.   

 

To each his own on the decision to smoke or not, but it's totally unfair to expect non-smokers to endure it.   RCCL really needs to get with the program and assess the great strides that have been made in the past couple decades.   You cannot even smoke on NJ beaches anymore, which is probably more about littering than second-hand smoke, but indoor smoking should be banned out of fairness to those that don't smoke.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 3:20 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

 

 

 

What about when the Casino is closed? Tons of smokers in there.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was ON POINT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 10:22 AM, KCMiller said:

We just got off a charter on Independence of the Seas.  The charter didn't allow smoking anywhere inside on the ship (Buckeye Cruise for Cancer - fundraiser for cancer research, so yeah, smoking would be verboten!  There were also free sunscreen stations set up by the doors to the pool areas), and so the casino was smoke free.  It was packed every night.  The smoking area was limited to deck 4, port side - no where near an open pool area, deck 4 port side is just a long deck with seating.  They had a very nice seating area set up, comfortable chairs and tables, with a bar, which I thought was a very nice touch.  No one seemed to mind, the casino was busy, and the smokers had a pleasant and welcoming space.  It was a win/win, I think.  Of course, it was the charter rules, but I think a version of this would be a good thing for all cruise ships to aim towards - making interior spaces smoke free, but having a pleasant and attractive space designated on a deck for smokers, who deserve to be treated with respect.

Oh good, here's a cruise everyone that minds the smoking can all go on!  Sign me up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oceans4 said:

Couldn't agree more with this post.   I was on Adventure in early November and LOVE to frequent casinos, but it was just awful.   Thank goodness we had a balcony and plastic clothespins so I could put every stitch of clothing on the balcony during the night.   

 

To each his own on the decision to smoke or not, but it's totally unfair to expect non-smokers to endure it.   RCCL really needs to get with the program and assess the great strides that have been made in the past couple decades.   You cannot even smoke on NJ beaches anymore, which is probably more about littering than second-hand smoke, but indoor smoking should be banned out of fairness to those that don't smoke.   

I understand that is bothers people, but hey at least they are following the rules and smoking in the casino vs. breaking the rules and hanging clothes on the balcony. There are a ton of other places that I, or anyone else can go, and not be around smokers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 7:32 AM, Whitapers said:

Hello!
For a casino, this is not profitable, if you take an example from statistics, casinos that put a ban on smoking in the hall, on average, lose 22% per month in income ... then I think it’s not worth explaining.
I myself am a smoker, and in principle, cigarette smoke does not bother me. BUT, it's one thing when you sit alone in a room in front of the monitor, calmly play online casino https://casino-now.co.uk - and smoke like I do. Another moment when you sit in a real casino at the table and smoke , and there are a lot of people like "smokers" in the hall. Plus, there are people who do not play but smoke, there are even more of them than the players themselves. If the ventilation in the room is poorly thought out, then discomfort is felt immediately.

coolcruiserr, 

 

On my recent Royal Caribbean cruise I complained twice about non players smoking in the casino and was told it was OK.  The daily cruise planner stated that the casino allowed smoking.  It did not say it was only for active players or that smoking was not allowed when the casino was closed.  RC denied it was there policy and said anyone can smoke in the casino at anytime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, one more point.

 

Princess has smoke free nights in the casino on formal nights and they only allow smoking for active players on a few designated slots.  This is a lot better than RC.  My experience has been that there is a lot less smoke emanating from the casinos on Princess than on RC. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JoMoe said:

coolcruiserr, 

 

On my recent Royal Caribbean cruise I complained twice about non players smoking in the casino and was told it was OK.  The daily cruise planner stated that the casino allowed smoking.  It did not say it was only for active players or that smoking was not allowed when the casino was closed.  RC denied it was there policy and said anyone can smoke in the casino at anytime.

Anyone can smoke in the casino at any time. The only rule is that only players may sit at tables when the casino is open. Everyplace else is fair game. 

 

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...