Shore Excursion Lunch and Soda Free

overinvester

Here is something I just can't believe. I was talking to a person who just got off a cruise in November and they told me if you really want to save some money on your cruise and keep your off the ship cost low is to take a lunch.

I asked what are you saying, well he says, in the early morning hours order some club sandwiches cookies, chips from room service. He says to take these goodies, wrap them or put in baggies and you have your lunch for the next day. He also said that if you have a beverage card, get multiple refills (no ice) and pour into empty Pepsi bottles and replace caps tightly.

I can not believe how cheap this guy is, and I view this as stealing... Would like to know what your thoughts are...is it right to do this, or not? Replies wanted....and while you are at it...what are some of the things you have done to save a little money>

Overinvester:rolleyes:

are they not providing lunch everyday? I don't understand.

When I took ship sponsored excursions that took up most of the time were were in port, lunch was provided. When we were on the excursions that were short, we were back in time to hit lunch in the dining room or the buffet or were able to get a burger or something out by the pool?

It's not stealing. The cruise fare includes lunch every day. However, it is illegal in most ports to bring food from the ship to shore...especially meat, cheese, fruit and veggies. Also, I don't know that the bar fridge is actually cold enough to keep food at a safe cold temperature overnight.

Both my waiter and room steward suggested we order from room service for a long day out, but to keep it quiet. It certainly was not ship policy to do so. We did do it and were VERY glad we did. The sandwiches were lifesavers, as no other food was available that afternoon.

I'm diabetic, so yes, I do take something with me. I look for those boxes of cereal in the morning. I will also take bottled water that I have filled from the ship's tap. If lunch is provided on the tour then I will eat it but I still have my emergency food. I always have sealed candy on me too.

Last time we were in Belize we got club sandwiches, chips, and cookies (no fruit, for the obvious reason) and carried them ashore with us. I am VERY scrupulous about not stealing, but I can't imagine how anyone could construe it as stealing because our group didn't eat breakfast or lunch aboard the ship that day and would not have had any food all day if it hadn't been for the doggie bags.

One thing we did ahead of time was to go to Target or Wal-Mart before the cruise and get insulated lunch bags that kept the cold things cold. We also took ziplock bags (sandwich size) to pack the sandwiches in. When the sandwiches and cookies arrived the night before, we put each one in a ziplock bag and packed the insulated lunch bags, and put the insulated lunch bags in our room refrigerator. Everything stayed cold all day, even though that particular day in Belize was a scorcher.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why that would be dishonest or even cheap. We were traveling with a man who had surgery for diverticulitis the day after we got home, and he was only able to eat bland food. He was strictly advised by his doctor not to eat local cuisine. It was either ship food or no food for him -- and since none of the rest of us would have eaten in front of him, it was either ship food or no food for any of us on that particular day.

I've never bothered to bring things with on board before, but this time I plan to. As this will be my first cruise longer than 7 days I have decided to bring a few things this time. I plan on bringing some bottled water, sodas, gatorade, and maybe some snacky stuff for the room. I'm sorry, but I can't see paying $4 for bottled water. What I'll save on buying these things on the ship will help defray the cost of the massages we plan on getting. Also the $$$ saved will help me be able to tip a little better if I feel inclined to do so. If this makes me cheap, then so be it.

Here is something I just can't believe. I was talking to a person who just got off a cruise in November and they told me if you really want to save some money on your cruise and keep your off the ship cost low is to take a lunch.

I asked what are you saying, well he says, in the early morning hours order some club sandwiches cookies, chips from room service. He says to take these goodies, wrap them or put in baggies and you have your lunch for the next day. He also said that if you have a beverage card, get multiple refills (no ice) and pour into empty Pepsi bottles and replace caps tightly.

I can not believe how cheap this guy is, and I view this as stealing... Would like to know what your thoughts are...is it right to do this, or not? Replies wanted....and while you are at it...what are some of the things you have done to save a little money>

Overinvester:rolleyes:

A viable candidate for the secrets thread I would say....LOL

Archived