Any NEWS on VV? Please post it here...

wwcruisers

Agree...some of the restaurants look nice.  I will continue to watch updates especially as real sailors get onboard and post tours etc.  besides my opinion on the decor (which I understand is subjective), I don’t get a feel that there’s a great connection to the sea unless you’re on the upper/outer decks.  I haven’t ruled her out, I’m just not as thrilled so far as I’d hoped.  

Not sure this video has been posted but here you go:

https://youtu.be/M1wIqfB52ys

Two points.1)  A BIG THUMBS UP for installing water bottle fillers like you see in gyms and some airports. While I understand the need for sanitary concerns I always felt ships prohibiting the filling your personal water bottles was for reasons other than transmission of germs(min. 1:09 in the video) 2) From the video (min. 3:12) it appears that Richards Retreat DOES INDEED have AT LEAST one hottub, which is NOT reflected in the Deck Plans. This corrects an earlier assumption of mine.

Screenshot_20200223-131018.png

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

On February 22, 2020 at 10:33 AM, younglegend said:

This is a good article that covers many aspects of the ship and questions that have come up:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/first-look-scarlet-lady-virgin-voyages/

Indeed a very good article with things I haven't seen or heard about before. Thanks for sharing the link.

5 hours ago, jakebloke said:

I’ve been eagerly waiting to see actual photos of Scarlet Lady, and now that I have, I can’t help but feel really disappointed.  A few of you posted that you’re even more excited now that actual photos are out, I feel the opposite.  Except for some of the restaurants, everything is very dark and bland...cold even.  There’s nothing about the ship that looks relaxing.  I cringed at the photos of the mega rockstar suites.  People are paying a fortune to stay in these ultra dark boring spaces.  Those cabanas are a joke.  I guess in my opinion the decor of the ship just feels totally off.  There are some great concepts Virgin is bringing to the industry, but they definitely missed the mark on the general aesthetics (not to mention the pools) in my opinion.  Anyone know if Valiant Lady will be an exact twin decor wise?  

I'm with you on the initial disappointment, but holding out hope till I see the ship in person.  I love the overall concept, but for me personally the hardware is somewhat of a let down.  When Virgin originally released renderings of the design I was disappointed as well.  It's an off the shelf design from Fincantieri (Project Mille).  The MSC SEASIDE and NCL's Project Leonardo are based off a similar platform.   I was hoping for something completely designed from scratch for Virgin, but I realize that VV doesn't' have the resources for that being brand new.  What I've seen in lounges and restaurants don't really appeal to me all that much.  I'm not into the long communal tables and hard metal bar stools and chairs.  It all has a very industrial look to me, and I have seen many spaces where I would just want to relax and hang out for any length of time.  Also I don't see tons of large windows and spaces look dark.  The pool is a total joke.  But ... the concept, staff, dining experience, music, and entertainment may bring it all to life in fantastic way and make up for any perceived shortcomings.  Time will tell!   Meanwhile I'm glad I get to enjoy a brunch onboard the ship in NY without spending a fortune to actually sail on her without testing the waters first.  

Edited by eroller

The VERY BEST thing (for me) about Scarlet Lady is that NOT everyone likes her!! She is NOT mass market and will not appeal to the masses. BRAVO! I don't even know if I will like her, but I am open minded. If I don't, no worries. Plenty will. Certainly won't be my last vacation. 

• Like 4

I really enjoyed this video walk-through of the ship.  In it I've noticed lots more windows and light than I have in past videos, and also more comfortable seating and some truly innovating spaces.  Interesting artwork too.  Without question The Manor nightclub will be the best at sea.  It's awesome.  Studio 54 lives!  It's great to see this at a time when most other lines are eliminating dedicated night clubs for multi-use spaces that honestly make lousy nightclubs (Carnival, Royal, & NCL take note).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxpJZQE7NCs

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1

I guess I have no taste. I think the ship looks gorgeous. I'm so excited to sail her. I still don't understand the very pointed negativity to VV. I understand that no cruise line will appeal to all people, but I've seen ships and lines that don't appeal to me as well. I haven't felt compelled to go those lines' threads to tell everyone sailing on them how much I think their ships suck. But whatever. I'm not even the demographic VV is shooting for, but I'm still happily anticipating my time aboard.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The_0neuk said:
3 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

Faux%20Stair%201-XL.jpg

and you think the railings look ANYTHING like those?

like really... LOL

I thnk the Brass looks good.

From Sea Trade 

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/branson-raises-toast-scarlet-lady-and-contemplates-tattoo

"Above all’, Dee added, ‘we have created a yacht like experience throughout the ship with brass, decking, comfortable seating and a relaxed atmosphere.’"

Edited by Tall-Cruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycatlady11 said:

I guess I have no taste. I think the ship looks gorgeous. I'm so excited to sail her. I still don't understand the very pointed negativity to VV. I understand that no cruise line will appeal to all people, but I've seen ships and lines that don't appeal to me as well. I haven't felt compelled to go those lines' threads to tell everyone sailing on them how much I think their ships suck. But whatever. I'm not even the demographic VV is shooting for, but I'm still happily anticipating my time aboard.

I think one thing to understand is that some of us on CC have more of an interest in cruise industry than just being an average cruiser.  I'm a ship enthusiast have been since I was a little kid.  I'm into ships just like some people are into cars, trains, and planes.  There are many like me (although fewer than the car, plane, and train enthusiasts) and CC is an outlet for us to discuss ships.  There are also several FB groups we belong to.  I follow the construction, fitting out, design, and technology of most newbuids, but especially prototypes.  I'm into the history of passenger ships as well, mainly from the early 1900's onward.  The cruise line doesn't matter and I'm not loyal to any one line.  I do try to cruise on as many prototype ships as possible.  

So VV is of special interest, as not only is it a new ship, but an entirely new cruise line with a concept that hasn't been done in the industry before.  There has been a lot of hype and build-up to the line, and it's going to attract non-cruisers and cruisers alike.  Along with that there is going to be praise and criticism.  I'll call out what I think is a huge WOW but also voice my opinions on perceived shortcomings.  I don't make any apologies for being a realist.  So that is where I'm coming from and others like me.  I wish VV all the success in the world and I'm ecstatic to have Virgin join the cruise industry, but I'm going to voice the pros and cons.  

Being that VV is so high profile it's going to attract a lot of attention on CC even from the average cruiser that may have no intention of sailing on the ship.  Curiosity.  Those people are going to voice their opinions whether it's good or bad.  That is just the nature of CC,  We are all critics on here, hence the title of this site.     

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, eroller said:

I think one thing to understand is that some of us on CC have more of an interest in cruise industry than just being an average cruiser.  I'm a ship enthusiast have been since I was a little kid.  I'm into ships just like some people are into cars, trains, and planes.  There are many like me (although fewer than the car, plane, and train enthusiasts) and CC is an outlet for us to discuss ships.  There are also several FB groups we belong to.  I follow the construction, fitting out, design, and technology of most newbuids, but especially prototypes.  I'm into the history of passenger ships as well, mainly from the early 1900's onward.  The cruise line doesn't matter and I'm not loyal to any one line.  I do try to cruise on as many prototype ships as possible.  

So VV is of special interest, as not only is it a new ship, but an entirely new cruise line with a concept that hasn't been done in the industry before.  There has been a lot of hype and build-up to the line, and it's going to attract non-cruisers and cruisers alike.  Along with that there is going to be praise and criticism.  I'll call out what I think is a huge WOW but also voice my opinions on perceived shortcomings.  I don't make any apologies for being a realist.  So that is where I'm coming from and others like me.  I wish VV all the success in the world and I'm ecstatic to have Virgin join the cruise industry, but I'm going to voice the pros and cons.  

Being that VV is so high profile it's going to attract a lot of attention on CC even from the average cruiser that may have no intention of sailing on the ship.  Curiosity.  Those people are going to voice their opinions whether it's good or bad.  That is just the nature of CC,  We are all critics on here, hence the title of this site.     

OK? Wasn't calling you or anyone else out. Critique away. I'm still excited to sail. Despite the fact I'm a lowly average cruiser. Happy sailing on your ship of choice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crazycatlady11 said:

OK? Wasn't calling you or anyone else out. Critique away. I'm still excited to sail. Despite the fact I'm a lowly average cruiser. Happy sailing on your ship of choice.

I didn't think you were calling me out specifically.  I'm was just providing you and others that might be thinking the same thing as you, why some of us are here and why we discuss ships (both the pros and cons).  We are not here to stir sh*# but actually enjoy discussing ships because it's a hobby.  Apparently my attempt of an explanation was lost on you.  

I'm excited to see the ship as well, despite the fact I'm just a lowly average ship enthusiast.   

Edited by eroller

12 hours ago, jakebloke said:

I’ve been eagerly waiting to see actual photos of Scarlet Lady, and now that I have, I can’t help but feel really disappointed.  A few of you posted that you’re even more excited now that actual photos are out, I feel the opposite.  Except for some of the restaurants, everything is very dark and bland...cold even.  There’s nothing about the ship that looks relaxing.  I cringed at the photos of the mega rockstar suites.  People are paying a fortune to stay in these ultra dark boring spaces.  Those cabanas are a joke.  I guess in my opinion the decor of the ship just feels totally off.  There are some great concepts Virgin is bringing to the industry, but they definitely missed the mark on the general aesthetics (not to mention the pools) in my opinion.  Anyone know if Valiant Lady will be an exact twin decor wise?  

While I think some of what you're observing is modern design as opposed to traditional, it's worth noting that modern, high-design resorts, restaurants, etc., rely on multiple elements/senses to bring an experience to life. This is includes hard surfaces, but also sounds, lighting, smells, touch.   Some of that doesn't easily translate in a mobile phone camera shot.  I would keep an open mind as the actual experience may very well make all of the modern design elements work together in an experience that differentiated, warm and premium.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eroller said:

I really enjoyed this video walk-through of the ship.  In it I've noticed lots more windows and light than I have in past videos, and also more comfortable seating and some truly innovating spaces.  Interesting artwork too.  Without question The Manor nightclub will be the best at sea.  It's awesome.  Studio 54 lives!  It's great to see this at a time when most other lines are eliminating dedicated night clubs for multi-use spaces that honestly make lousy nightclubs (Carnival, Royal, & NCL take note).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxpJZQE7NCs

Thanks for that, I also really enjoyed that walkthrough - I loved the warm colors and design, and also how much seating there was around the ship, mostly padded.  I also loved all the marble around the bathrooms in the suite at the end, which looked like it could be cleaned throughly and easily in addition to just looking opulent.

Very excited to be sailing this ship, even tough my sailing is all the way off in October.  Hope they have an excellent season.

Interesting review from a millennial that has a lot of experience with ships.  As she said, she should be the target audience for VV but the ship missed the mark for her.  She was very honest in her review about what she liked and didn't like.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbUa703wG88&fbclid=IwAR0vf1rkcS0IJbc-62oHQHdKfv777P_RcpdRSeNSC9LB4w1Dm2tyfWuddac&app=desktop

On 2/23/2020 at 1:04 PM, eroller said:

Also I don't see tons of large windows and spaces look dark.

In the videos I saw, the windows were large and round. I think the spaces looked dark because the weather in Dover was dark. I'm curious to see how that will all change when we get shots from the Caribbean.