Ya Ya Beach vs Pitaya Beach

LadyDivot

I'm looking for someone that please share recent experience with either of these facilities. When I look at their websites, they have the same language on both and the price is the same for all their various options. If owned by same folks, that's fine just want to understand if there is a difference in the facilities, beach, water, etc. Wouldn't mind being able to snorkel from the beach, but that isn't a deal breaker.

Thanks for any assistance.

Pam

I think I answered my own question by looking at Google Earth/Maps. I can't figure out how to delete my thread so I'll give my answer and see if anyone can either confirm or deny my findings. Back in the day, before the hurricanes led to the current cruiseport, Mahahual was a fishing village with one main road that was packed sand. Some of the little restaurants and bars had a few plastic tables and chairs on the beach and you could order delicious food and drinks at incredibly reasonable prices. The last time we went, the town was more of a small city with a new main road and a paved malecon between the restaurants and the beach. Wow! The beach had a lot more chairs and tables with some delineation between owners of the tables and chairs so you knew who's menu to order from while there.

Based on what I'm seeing, I am speculating that the delineation between restaurant spaces is way more precise, meaning that space is staked out for whatever restaurant/bar is staffing it. From the pictures it seems that some places have ropes and other markers to ensure no one wanders in from the side. I suppose you could wander in through the beach, right? I also think this explains why there is a limit to the number of people that can reserve a "spot." So Ya Ya, Tropicante, Pitaya, etc. are areas of the beach between the water and malecon that have been staked out by a restaurant/bar and offer their own menu, all inclusive, etc.

Do I have this right? If not, can someone who has been there help me with which part is not right?

TIA...Pam

I think I answered my own question by looking at Google Earth/Maps. I can't figure out how to delete my thread so I'll give my answer and see if anyone can either confirm or deny my findings. Back in the day, before the hurricanes led to the current cruiseport, Mahahual was a fishing village with one main road that was packed sand. Some of the little restaurants and bars had a few plastic tables and chairs on the beach and you could order delicious food and drinks at incredibly reasonable prices. The last time we went, the town was more of a small city with a new main road and a paved malecon between the restaurants and the beach. Wow! The beach had a lot more chairs and tables with some delineation between owners of the tables and chairs so you knew who's menu to order from while there.

Based on what I'm seeing, I am speculating that the delineation between restaurant spaces is way more precise, meaning that space is staked out for whatever restaurant/bar is staffing it. From the pictures it seems that some places have ropes and other markers to ensure no one wanders in from the side. I suppose you could wander in through the beach, right? I also think this explains why there is a limit to the number of people that can reserve a "spot." So Ya Ya, Tropicante, Pitaya, etc. are areas of the beach between the water and malecon that have been staked out by a restaurant/bar and offer their own menu, all inclusive, etc.

Do I have this right? If not, can someone who has been there help me with which part is not right?

TIA...Pam

Pretty accurate.

Thanks, Zqvol. I was starting to wonder if I was talking in a vacuum! I'm wondering if we shouldn't just wing it since we can't find availability anywhere and our old favorite place is now terrible and a rip-off. I guess we'll find out.

Pam

We would not recommend Ya Ya as the facility was not very clean. The loungers were very tired and mostly disfunctional, food and drink were nothing special. Maya Chan was at the other end of the spectrum!

No complaints there, but make your reservations early as it fills up an has a good reputation to maintain!

Hal

Thanks, Hal! I tried Maya Chan but they are full for our day. We were late additions to the cruise and too late for Maya Chan. We're going to Nacional Beach Club this time. I'll come back with a review. Appreciate the heads up!

Pam