Reminder: EDL & GEC ARE NOT VALID for International Travel

TylerRose

When I got mine, I was told that I could bring the card when traveling if I wanted to but that I didn't need to--and that I'd still need my passport either way. I have to admit, ever since I got it, I've wondered what that frigging card is for.

The Global Entry card is not as important as the electronic record attached to it (which is what speeds your international reentry to the US - less scrutiny needed).

Nonetheless, it serves as an acceptable ID for domestic air travel (no need for EDL or Real DL).

As for the overgeneralized statement that an EDL and birth cert. ALWAYS works for a "closed loop"' US cruise, one must remember that it is not true for ALL cruise lines (some require ALL passengers on ALL itineraries to produce passports).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just to clarify, the EDL is always an acceptable form of ID, and can always be used in conjunction with a birth certificate if you elect to cruise without a passport.
As others have linked, an Enhanced Driver's License is adequate as a standalone ID to prove US citizenship at land and sea ports of entry without a passport or a birth certificate. But very few states issue an actual EDL. A REAL ID license isn't the same thing.

These are the documents you need to bring when applying for an enhanced license

Social Security card

- This must be an original document. No photocopies accepted.

- This card must be signed.

- If lost, get a duplicate BEFORE going to the DMV.

check.png My NY State License/ID with current NY State addressMust be current or not expired for more than 2 years.

An interim (paper MV-1) license will not be accepted.

check.png Bank StatementMust show name and current NY State address. Must be mailed to your residence address within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions not accepted.(if a second financial document selected the pop up about only have 1 from the same financial institution must be shown)

check.png U.S. PassportYour passport must be valid (not expired). Be sure to check the expiration date.

These are the documents you need to bring when applying for an enhanced license

Social Security card

- This must be an original document. No photocopies accepted.

- This card must be signed.

- If lost, get a duplicate BEFORE going to the DMV.

check.png My NY State License/ID with current NY State addressMust be current or not expired for more than 2 years.

An interim (paper MV-1) license will not be accepted.

check.png Bank StatementMust show name and current NY State address. Must be mailed to your residence address within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions not accepted.(if a second financial document selected the pop up about only have 1 from the same financial institution must be shown)

check.png U.S. PassportYour passport must be valid (not expired). Be sure to check the expiration date.

The last one is incorrect- you need to bring proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate) or proof of legal presence (such as a permanent resident card). For the other documents alternatives may be available (I know in Vermont for proof of SSN you can bring in a W-2 instead of your SS card). And of course issuing states may require more information if they choose to.

...The purpose of my original post was to warn others to have correct travel documents... and how not having them was dealt with on the day we traveled on our specific voyage...

Thank you for sharing your experience. (No good deed goes unpunished.) I was going to say they should just get passports and not parse "EDL", "Real ID", etc. but passports do no good if they are left at home. FWIW, my past minute check is simple: passport, ticket, credit card. Forget anything else, it's an inconvenience. Forget one of those three, game over.

Edited by BlueRiband

FWIW, my past minute check is simple: passport, ticket, credit card. Forget anything else, it's an inconvenience. Forget one of those three, game over.

Ticket? Used to be, but in these days of e-tickets, you probably don't need that. :)

Passport, credit card, and GO. :D

Ticket? Used to be, but in these days of e-tickets, you probably don't need that. :)

Passport, credit card, and GO. :D

Boarding passes have to be on paper or on a smart phone. Didn't think to print/download it? Can't get through Brooklyn security without showing a printed eTicket.

The last one is incorrect- you need to bring proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate) or proof of legal presence (such as a permanent resident card). For the other documents alternatives may be available (I know in Vermont for proof of SSN you can bring in a W-2 instead of your SS card). And of course issuing states may require more information if they choose to.

This is the link for the required documentation required to get the EDL

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/id44edl.pdf

Edited by myfuzzy

Boarding passes have to be on paper or on a smart phone. Didn't think to print/download it? Can't get through Brooklyn security without showing a printed eTicket.

We have never needed to show any boarding documents upon entering the Red Hook port. For a while, you needed to show your ID and boarding pass entering Port Everglades, I know from 17th st, but since have moved that booth farther in. So if you are getting the ship at Pier 3 or 4, you don't need to show ID. I am not sure about entering Port Everglades from the South Side, since they had been doing construction that way.

I copied this from the NY State DMV website. These are the basic documents you need to bring, depending on your personal situation, there are other choices as well. Just to show that you need to show multiple forms of ID including your passport, if you have one...to get the EDL.

That other choices are available was not evident from your post.

We have never needed to show any boarding documents upon entering the Red Hook port.
How did you get past the first checkpoint, the one before the x-ray & magnetometer? We've always had to show e-ticket and passport to move past the first entry lobby, most recently on December 22.

After you pass that point, there is little interest in anything other than your passport (or other citizenship document).

Ah, perhaps you're saying upon arrival to the port complex, still in your car.

How did you get past the first checkpoint, the one before the x-ray & magnetometer? We've always had to show e-ticket and passport to move past the first entry lobby, most recently on December 22.

After you pass that point, there is little interest in anything other than your passport (or other citizenship document).

Ah, perhaps you're saying upon arrival to the port complex, still in your car.

Maybe I misread the "Can't get through Brooklyn security without showing a printed eTicket." To me, Brooklyn security would be the checking of documents getting into the port area......Inside the cruise terminal the Boarding workers checking documents at the entrance then putting your bags though the scanner then entering check in area. I wouldn't necessarily think of that as "security" but, I guess it is

Just to clarify, the EDL is always an acceptable form of ID, and can always be used in conjunction with a birth certificate if you elect to cruise without a passport.

I don't think you meant to imply otherwise, but an EDL is only valid for non-air travel to certain areas: Canada, Mexico, Caribbean. It does not replace a passport for all other international travel or international flights. I wanted to clarify so folks don't jump to the wrong conclusion.

You are confusing EDL with a REAL-ID compliant license. An EDL is only available to US Citizens, so to get an EDL, you must prove US Citizenship. Proof of legal presence such as a permanent resident card is not sufficient for an EDL.

You're correct that the proof of citizenship doesn't necessarily have to be a passport, but it is held to the same standards as the proof you would have to supply when applying for a passport.

A REAL-ID compliant license is not proof of US citizenship, and is available to non-citizens. So proof of legal presence is sufficient for REAL-ID. But since a REAL-ID driver's license isn't proof of US Citizenship, it is not sufficient, by itself, to allow entry into the US.

You are confusing EDL with a REAL-ID compliant license. An EDL is only available to US Citizens, so to get an EDL, you must prove US Citizenship. Proof of legal presence such as a permanent resident card is not sufficient for an EDL.

You're correct that the proof of citizenship doesn't necessarily have to be a passport, but it is held to the same standards as the proof you would have to supply when applying for a passport.

A REAL-ID compliant license is not proof of US citizenship, and is available to non-citizens. So proof of legal presence is sufficient for REAL-ID. But since a REAL-ID driver's license isn't proof of US Citizenship, it is not sufficient, by itself, to allow entry into the US.

Good catch, you are 100% right of course. Thank you for pointing that out.

What is the difference between a REAL ID and an enhanced drivers license (EDL)?

The EDL will serve as a limited use international travel document that will contain a vicinity Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip and a MRZ used to facilitate border crossing and verification by Customs and Border Protection at a land and sea port of entry. DHS has worked to align REAL ID and EDL requirements. Now that the REAL ID final rulemaking has been published, DHS will ensure that State-issued EDLs meet REAL ID compliance benchmarks over time. However, there are some key distinctions between the two programs that should be noted. While the REAL ID requires proof of lawful status in the United States, the State-issued EDL will require that the card holder be a U.S. citizen. An EDL will also include an international document standard MRZ to allow CBP officers to read the card electronically if RFID is not available. The EDL MRZ is different from the REAL ID 2-D PDF-417 MRZ which used by State and local law enforcement officials.