Charleston info

Giantfan13

We are doing a cruise, with a stop in Charleston from 7AM till 3PM. We have never been to this port and would like some info please.

I am a big Civil War buff and would love to see Fort Sumter. From where the ship docks, is this a doable walk or how would I get to where the ferry is to the Fort.

I heard that there is a free trolley that takes you around town and also some free waking tours. Does anyone know where we can access these and are they anywhere near the cruise port?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers

Len

Here is a link to information on Ft. Sumter tours, including operating hours for the ferry, ticket prices etc.

https://www.nps.gov/fosu/planyourvisit/fortsumtertickets.htm

Liberty Square is about a mile or a little less from the cruise port. You can walk it in 20 min or so if reasonably fit, or take a quick Uber ride.

For walking tours etc., I would start with the Charleston Area Convention and Visitors Bureau:

https://www.charlestoncvb.com/

From there you can access reputable tour companies. I suggest booking it advance.... Often when walking around town you will see signs and "offices" for tours and a wonderful rep telling you all about a free or discounted price they are offering. While some might be legit, often these are time-share or similar pitches disguised as a tour offer. Avoid these by booking in advance from a reputable company!

Another option is to take the boat to Ft Sumter from Patriots Point and combine the Ft Sumter trip with a visit to PP. Because in all honesty, Ft Sumter, while historical, is pretty boring. The boat ride out there and back is longer than you actually spend at the fort. (and I am a history nerd and love being around all the historical stuff Charleston offers. That was one of the things that drew me to move here).