Notes on ISLAND PRINCESS to South America (NOT the start of a "Live From")

Steelers36

I’d like to give my perspective on the ISLAND after being on her a few days into our 60-night S.A. trip. She’s not so bad as some like to paint her after the refurb and addition of many new staterooms. Of course, I understand and respect those who knew the old Island (Coral’s former twin sister).

It’s a nice size for this special journey, somewhat intimate. I think the biggest loss is the same thing I thought before boarding the ship, and that is an extra entertainment venue that was the Universe Lounge. Because of that, evening events are limited as there are only two large venues – Explorers and main theater. That said, Explorers and Wheelhouse seem quite large. There are quite a lot of nooks and crannies here and there for sitting, reading, talking, or having social games. One needn’t be limited to the “officially advertised” locations.

As part of the refurb, there were a lot of other positive changes in more modern décor and we all like the ship (us and our friends). Venues like Crooners is all new and there are other obvious more modern décor touches all over. The Horizon Court is much better layout than the Crown/Emerald/Ruby – and perhaps some other ships. The “bumper car” meal situation is largely eliminated. They also added three wash stations at each entrance, similar to the new ships. We are all quite happy with the staff – but I have always been pretty pleased with the crew on any ship. (Might have been an idea to add a wash station at the DR’s).

Captain Tuvo is the most visible and interactive Captain wehave encountered thus far with Princess.

The Island just received a brand new poker table. This one is all touch surface and gone are the old login and player screens. Everything is done now on the playing surface. I kind if miss tapping with corner of cruise card. It also takes a bit of practice to reveal the cards for each hand. I imagine the plan is to roll it out across the fleet if tests out okay. They need to adjust the height of it and it will be fine.

Also, I believe I read on CC where Sabatini’s is supposed to offer a partial Alfredo’s menu for lunches. Nope. Not on this ship. Either I am mixed up, or someone reported this for Island and it is really from another ship. I have not seen any notice of a British Pub Lunch as yet, but you never know. I have not inquired as to if it will be held.

I was also under the impression – perhaps mostly from Princess advertising – that the Patisserie was close to an IC in features. Well, NO. There are some danishes in the morning and only some small cookies in the afternoon (same as would be in HC area). So nothing there much but the beverages. You can also get the special coffees in the HC.

On a sad news front, this is the first cruise on Island with no BOGO$1 hours. A release came from HQ that BOGO is ending fleet-wide. Many posters have mentioned the demise of this on other ships.

The other sad thing is there is no food on this ship after 11:00pm – other than room service. I have not inquired as to whether they deliver to any place on the ship.

I asked a HW how many unique menus will be on this trip, but he didn’t know. Also said he was willing,with notice, to have some different dish prepared.

Of course, AT dining has lines. I don’t usually see them as we are upstairs at early TD. Have not had dinner at HC so far. As for that, it would be nice to know their theme nights ahead of time for menu planning.

This is a ship full of travelers. Yes, there are plenty of seniors and elderly,but perhaps not so surprising number of pretty fit seniors. Maybe reflective of the traveling set. OTOH, there are some that will be challenged touring much.

The ship has not felt crowded so far. On our first two days out of Fort Lauderdale,there were loungers and space to park. With full length wooden loungers on Promenade, complete with blue pads,and full length solid plastic loungers – also padded – in the covered Lotus Pool area, I am seriously considering cutting down on Sanctuary plans.

On the Sanctuary, I was prepared for this, but it is disappointing to see so much of it exposed to sun, with only some smallish gauze screens to break the sun into partial shade. I did manage to spy a couple of chairs that will work well with our current direction of travel, and plan to be there on FEB 2 in afternoon. On the first two sea days, hardly anyone was there when I went up to check the afternoon sun and shade situation. Normally, I am all over this place as a “must have”, but not so thrilled with it this ship. I want to put up a beach umbrella – LOL.

In October and early September they still had the BOGO on Emerald. It was of no use to us as we had the beverage package but we only get that if it's a perk. A lot of folks will be very unhappy if it goes away.