Maiden voyages

AmandaLMcL

Pro is that there is usually a big celebration when you sail on a new ships and a lot of excitement by your fellow passengers and the crew and of course everything is new. There might be other special events during the cruise and often a commemorative gift(s).

Con. Sometimes the ship is delayed and your voyage cancelled and while the cruise lines are good at making this up to you there is still the disappointment of this happening. Often the price is higher for the first voyage. Sometimes some items are not ready and also the crew is learning to work as a team and are working through some issues that might take a few cruises to sort out.

Keith

We didn't plan on being on the maiden voyages of 2 Princess ships -- but it happened. We had booked the 3rd and 4th cruises. But the ships were delayed.

1989 -- the original Star Princess -- almost the entire crew were new and very few knew what they were doing. There were still workers on the ship finishing up painting, laying carpets, etc.

1998 -- Grand Princess -- again workers still doing their jobs -- water pipes were bursting and ruining cabins, fire alarms going off whenever they felt like it and fire doors closing and had to be manually opened.

We had no special events and no gifts.

Maiden voyage? Not me. I also don't buy new houses,or new brands of cars. I want something that has the problems already worked out. I also don't belive all these ginormous ships are better. They don't suit my preferences, and that is what seems to be built these days. No thanks.

Maiden Voyages seem like a great idea, on paper, but in practice it often means being on a ship still packed with contractors (workers) finishing all the things not completed in time for that first voyage. And then there is the crew, a large group of souls (some experienced and some not) who have been tossed together and expected to perform as an experienced team. Hotel Managers (who are the one's who really run everything on a cruise ship except the Marine Department) will tell you it takes months for a crew to be honed to a fine team. Personally, having been a couple of Maiden Voyages we now avoid them like the plague....but prefer to book a new ship when its at least 3 months old.

Hank