Royal retreat pool area

mameeo

First timers for the Royal in March and am curious if you have to pay for the retreat pool area, and does it have a good numberof loungers etc. Is there any shade I’m good with sun but hubby needs shade.

Thank you for any info.

48 days and counting

Cheers🍷

First timers for the Royal in March and am curious if you have to pay for the retreat pool area, and does it have a good numberof loungers etc. Is there any shade I’m good with sun but hubby needs shade.

Thank you for any info.

48 days and counting

Cheers🍷

I am assuming you are referring to the Lotus Pool (santuary area) where it is adults only?. If so then no it is free you can walk right in and their is typically Shade in that area of the ship if I remember correctly. Here is a picture of the crown sorry it's blurry I took a picture of a picture but their is shade. 9a0d75d2ac2d9fa81a5be5a2cbb1d0a3.jpg. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. A lot of knowledge on this site. Take care and happy cruising.

-Kyser

Thank you for any info.

48 days and counting

Cheers🍷

Retreat Pool is open to anyone 18 and over. Lots of loungers all around it. Not a lot of shade around the pool itself, but there are two alcoves on either side with very comfy furniture, essentially all under cover/shades. Rarely is anyone sitting in there..

There is no fee for using the Retreat pool area. There are quite a few loungers in the area. Grabbing some shade may be a bit problematic though, and you'll probably have to move around during the day to chase what shade you can find, as the sun and ship move. I like that area a lot. It's quiet, the pool is nice, there are two hot tubs, and there is a bar with excellent service right there. The only downside I noticed was that it closed at around 6pm every evening I was there. Deck attendants come and remove the loungers and stack them up in a corner. I wonder what would happen if you asked them to let you keep your lounger past closing time?

Also, their is a lot of loungers in that area, here is a open picture before they are setup to give you an idea of how many their are. You can see numerous stacks of chairs. 0cfc997ac2cbf131fcc96afd4073762b.jpg.

Also, under the shade their is usually two-four cabanas that I believe are charged to use I think maybe 10$ for half a day, I have never used them but here's are two pictures under the shade also. Again sorry for the blurryness.3e054470f4d423bb2b0e04a053e0290f.jpg

d6c91ac3c1651e04fdf6320eff3bd9c2.jpg

Hope those help

-Kyser

I am assuming you are referring to the Lotus Pool (santuary area) where it is adults only?. If so then no it is free you can walk right in and their is typically Shade in that area of the ship if I remember correctly. Here is a picture of the crown sorry it's blurry I took a picture of a picture but their is shade. 9a0d75d2ac2d9fa81a5be5a2cbb1d0a3.jpg. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. A lot of knowledge on this site. Take care and happy cruising.

-Kyser

Royal Princess, the ship the OP asked about, does not have a Lotus Spa pool, or set up anything like what you've posted above.

It has the Retreat Pool, much larger and more spacious, before the Sanctuary on deck 17, Sun Deck. Lots of loungers, own bar, cabanas for rent, etc. Completely different than the Lotus Spa or Aft pool on Crown and such...

There is no fee for using the Retreat pool area. There are quite a few loungers in the area. Grabbing some shade may be a bit problematic though, and you'll probably have to move around during the day to chase what shade you can find, as the sun and ship move. I like that area a lot. It's quiet, the pool is nice, there are two hot tubs, and there is a bar with excellent service right there. The only downside I noticed was that it closed at around 6pm every evening I was there. Deck attendants come and remove the loungers and stack them up in a corner. I wonder what would happen if you asked them to let you keep your lounger past closing time?

You could enjoy the comfy furniture in the entrance alcoves instead.... They're unlikely to leave a lounger out for you as they'd not be able to secure the ones they'd already put away, and would have to come back to get yours whenever you may be done. Doesn't hurt to ask though..

Royal Princess, the ship the OP asked about, does not have a Lotus Spa pool, or set up anything like what you've posted above.

It has the Retreat Pool, much larger and more spacious, before the Sanctuary on deck 17, Sun Deck. Lots of loungers, own bar, cabanas for rent, etc. Completely different than the Lotus Spa or Aft pool on Crown and such...

The pool is setup almost identical or was at least when I was on it but different names? Maybe it's changed, two hot tubs and a pool kinda between them with chairs underneath and above I know they aren't exact, but I don't think they will have problems is what im getting at. Anyway enjoy the cruise! Happy sailings!

-Kyser

The pool is setup almost identical or was at least when I was on it but different names? Maybe it's changed, two hot tubs and a pool kinda between them with chairs underneath and above I know they aren't exact, but I don't think they will have problems is what im getting at. Anyway enjoy the cruise! Happy sailings!

-Kyser

Nope, not really similar set-up with different name, except for both being adult only...Different layout, pool shape, much larger pool, hot tubs off to side near bar, full bar with seating, cabanas right around the edge of the pool that cost a heck of a lot more than $10 per half day, no tiered bench/seating area like Crown or others, etc. No chairs on deck above - there isn't a deck above Retreat Pool! The deck above, Sport Deck, ends at the alcoves before the Retreat Pool area - Retreat Pool is wide open to the sky...Also, not right outside the spa as Lotus Spa pool is on the older ships... Some major difference between the two... Sure, your photos are nice, but they're quite different from what the Retreat Pool actually looks like...

Thank you for any info.

48 days and counting

Cheers🍷

It's free and the back row has a little of shade.

-Kyser

You got the wrong ship.

Thank you for the information. And yes I know the pics posted were of a different ship as I’ve seen It on other princess cruises.

Retreat sounds like a good place especially as we are sailing spring break which we have never done so may want a quiet adult space at times.

Cheers

Happy sailing to all.

Thank you for the information. And yes I know the pics posted were of a different ship as I’ve seen It on other princess cruises.

Retreat sounds like a good place especially as we are sailing spring break which we have never done so may want a quiet adult space at times.

Cheers

Happy sailing to all.

There's tons if pictures and videos of the Retreat Pool online, quick Google search brings them up..

It's a lovely, quiet area, if you need more shade (it is pretty limited), the alcoves at the entrance are almost always empty, completely covered, get s good breeze through them, very comfortable upscale patio type furniture, and you're still just steps to the pool...

The retreat pool is great!! Especially in great weather!! We spent all of our sea days (- 2 that were too windy). There is a lot of space there. Not a tremendous amount of shade, but there are cabanas you can rent for full days or half days right on the pool (6 total). They have mesh covering over them, so it's not really shade, but it's less full sun.. They were $80 per day. We ran up as soon as we boarded and there were already 3 booked. So they fill up fast. You pick your cabana, and days.

If you don't want to pay, you don't have to. Just get there early, get a lounger. I think the side opposite the hot tubs got shade in the afternoon (at least I recall that from our Eastern Caribbean cruise)

Also, their is a lot of loungers in that area, here is a open picture before they are setup to give you an idea of how many their are. You can see numerous stacks of chairs. 0cfc997ac2cbf131fcc96afd4073762b.jpg.

Also, under the shade their is usually two-four cabanas that I believe are charged to use I think maybe 10$ for half a day, I have never used them but here's are two pictures under the shade also. Again sorry for the blurryness.3e054470f4d423bb2b0e04a053e0290f.jpg

d6c91ac3c1651e04fdf6320eff3bd9c2.jpg

Hope those help

-Kyser

The photos you’ve posted are of the Sanctuary which is totally separate and has nothing to do with the Retreat pool.

Here are some photos of the Retreat pool:

9789ebe85d66315e9c1d5ad51078011d.jpg

1645d521300b47ec9c7e43e67151eae8.jpg

Good photos ,Pam, of the retreat pool area on the Royal, Regal and perhaps the new Majestic has the same layout.

To the OP

If you need shade, the regular (blue) loungers to the far right of the pool as you approach the area are under an overhang.

Enjoy your cruise !

Good photos ,Pam, of the retreat pool area on the Royal, Regal and perhaps the new Majestic has the same layout.

To the OP

If you need shade, the regular (blue) loungers to the far right of the pool as you approach the area are under an overhang.

Enjoy your cruise !

Unfortunately, not the same on Majestic. There's no Sanctuary or Retreat Pool on Majestic - it's all one area, covered, called the Hollywood Conservatory, which has pool, seating, etc. Majestic is - while same build - very different than Regal or Royal, even in cabins and such..

• 1 year later...

Hi!  

I know this is an old thread, but I would like to know more about the Retreat if anyone sees this.  We are sailing on the Royal mid March and don't really care for the loud and boisterous atmosphere of the main pools.  I basically plan to spend ALL my free time either at the Retreat or Sanctuary, assuming the weather is nice.  Does the area fill up with reserved deck chairs by 7 am?  Is it worth buying a cabana?  Are they available for pre-reservation or only after boarding?  Would I be better off buying a Sanctuary pass for sun protection?  

I pretty much live in the Solarium on Celebrity, and the chairs can be hard to come by if you're not there at the crack of dawn.  I mostly wonder if this is the same?  

For Mexico cruises, even though it's against Princess' stated rules, people have their towels and stuff down early by the Retreat Pool and then leave. At anytime Princess could change the enforcement of their policy and remove stuff from unoccupied lounges. There are lots of complaints from passengers about passengers' practice of reserving chairs with stuff when they are not there. The retreat pool has netted awnings covering the lounge areas. These awnings are really for show only. They do not provide shade or sun protection. I have noticed less people in the afternoon. My guess it gets too hot.

The Sanctuary cost $20/half day, $40/full day and $30/full day if you book all the days of the cruise, port and sea. You select your own lounge chair from those available in shade or sun. This is your chair for the times reserved. Come and go as you wish. Board as early as allowed and go directly to the Sanctuary. In tropical cruises lounge reservations fill quickly.

The retreat pool on the Royal is deep not shallow. It’s good for a quick dip to cool off. We sailed her in April last year and could always find a lounger if we needed to. We reserved sanctuary loungers so did not have to worry about it. 

photos of Royal Retreat Pool area:

A3A06C0F-4563-418A-9945-82FB865955E4.jpeg

9700B0E5-3A64-43BD-96F5-FD9E153EF085.jpeg

94FF12E3-0977-4F2D-A9E0-7273E5CB5EC0.jpeg

B37A9905-2AA4-48E8-84F2-6313AB107826.jpeg

On 1/29/2018 at 1:00 AM, Pam in CA said:

The photos you’ve posted are of the Sanctuary which is totally separate and has nothing to do with the Retreat pool.

Here are some photos of the Retreat pool:

9789ebe85d66315e9c1d5ad51078011d.jpg

1645d521300b47ec9c7e43e67151eae8.jpg

oh god how I miss spending time around this pool !! Got Cabanas a few times and felt like a queen !!