“Live” Jewel of the Seas - February 4, 2018

We are also on this sailing, flying from Detroit to BWI then to San Juan. Staying at a Airbnb in old San Juan on Saturday morning . Are you doing the Calabaza in Barbados? If you are it’s fantastic, this will be our third time with them.

I was trying to talk the OP into them. We did a Royal sponsored catamaran there last time and we saw Calabazza and saw what a good time they were having, so I have them booked for May 3rd.

I was trying to talk the OP into them. We did a Royal sponsored catamaran there last time and we saw Calabazza and saw what a good time they were having, so I have them booked for May 3rd.

Sorry found it and booked it for April 27th! Hope you all are right about it being amazing! Lol

Hey Bill, you don’t happen to have a link for them would you?

Edited by Powersboyee2

My wife specifically ask if we are going to Barbados just so we can go on the calibazza cruise when i book cruises.

Nice! I think this is what we shall stick with then. It was $254.40 after fees for 2 in case anyone is wondering. Sounds like it will be a blast!

Tomorrow is departure day!!!

Flight to SJU departs at 0815 and we hope to be on the beach by 1500!!

20 years ago I took my first cruise on the Sensation (now carnival Sensation) and we had 7 bags for 3 people for a week. Fast forward to today after many cruises, flights and years of packing, I’m down to two carry on’s.

e37bb94fe36d1f2a1f3003d365eae153.jpg

I have packed the typical needs such as bug spray, sunscreen, medicines, band aids, etc. Additionally we have a power strip for our electronics.

664673d914647cf878a8c588bc01a80d.jpg

3bcaa149170f39f24cb8c2023d3e90c0.jpg

Three bathing suits and large ziploc baggies for them. Just have to put the final things together in the morning and we are ready to go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...Additionally we have a power strip for our electronics. 3bcaa149170f39f24cb8c2023d3e90c0.jpg

You may consider removing the power strip as they are not allowed onboard the ship. Bummer but don't shoot the messenger. Bon Voyage.:champagne-toast:

Edited by davekathy

You may consider removing the power strip as they are not allowed onboard the ship. Bummer but don't shoot the messenger. Bon Voyage.:champagne-toast:

Bummer!! I’ll go take it out now, I thought they were ok to bring as long as they had a surge protector built in?

Bummer!! I’ll go take it out now, I thought they were ok to bring as long as they had a surge protector built in?

Especially if the power strip has a built in surge protector. I don't have experience with this but have read on CC extension cords (also listed on RCs prohibited list) and power strips with and without the surge protector will be confiscated. Enjoy your cruise and the Jewel. The Jewel is our favorite RC ship.

Edited by davekathy

I'll be curious about this myself, at least you don't have to wait 90+ days for an answer ;) My first time on Jewell I ASSumed that they did the same thing, based on reviews I had read, but we ended up 15 minutes late to dinner! That is coming up on 4 years ago.

Our late dining was at 8:45 on the first night instead of 8:30. The first week of our B2B, the early dining was at 6:30 but the second week, they changed it to 6 pm because it was pushing the late dining back to 8:45 every night!

We brought one on Jewel for our B2B on the 14th and 21st. Never had an issue. We bring one every year.

I think the issue is that the surge protector can somehow cause a fire in relation to how it cooperates or lack there of with the ships electrical system. Fire and ships is a no no [emoji15]

We made it to SJU and it was a very comfortable flight!! Breakfast and mimosas...once again, can’t complain.

e04a41e0c0b9bbd10a1d9da37ae47f02.jpg

374bd704b8309d358da3984e7879c44f.jpg

Overall the airport is in good condition. The terminal appears to have no damage in the terminals. All shops, restaurants, are opening and functioning. A/C was working well and water functions seemed great in the bathrooms.

There is heavy damage still on airport property in the means of aircraft hangers and other outer buildings.

There is no UBER or LYFT for use at the airport. We used a taxi service that was right outside of baggage claim. The price they quoted was the price we paid at the hotel. A fair warning, they only take cash and it was $20.00 from airport to our hotel the doubletree. The van was in fair condition, typical Caribbean/New York can driving style (buckle up) but we made it and the van had great AC.

511b03ed7f5f419dd1104755d07318e3.jpg

40e62ffa3207b9e414046ec9de69634d.jpg

There is still visible damage to the island. These are a couple photos I was able to get from the van. We could also see many buildings still tarp covered on my approach into SJU.

The Doubletree is up and functioning. No damage, great AC and water. We were even able to check in early so that was a plus. The room is clean and modern but small, think European hotel room.

c2d6c56feb65a9e2ddd44880bdb0742c.jpg

a91021fef858142b0fc4b6bfd399a4c3.jpg

We are now off to find food and entertainment for the day. Check in later!!

Ok just subscribed. We are actually sailing on the same cruise as BillOh & his lovely wife, Gina.

So looking forward to your updates. We are also doing the Murder Mystery Dinner for the first time so especially looking forward to what you think.

Have a great cruise and the Happiest of Birthdays. :D:D

Ok just subscribed. We are actually sailing on the same cruise as BillOh & his lovely wife, Gina.

So looking forward to your updates. We are also doing the Murder Mystery Dinner for the first time so especially looking forward to what you think.

Have a great cruise and the Happiest of Birthdays. :D:D

April 22nd? As are we [emoji3]

Embarkation day is here!!!!

As we check out of the Doubletree and head to the ship, I can finish my reflection on SJU.

The pool at the Doubletree is beautiful and well maintained, the gym, which I used this morning, is also in great condition and adequate.

7e507069939a7d35421a9ed568eb702f.jpg

c45d6e3d7f8789af8ea6d607b32e06e5.jpg

7d3d6c1dbd69bb76a8fca517a66b0366.jpg

7192d3de18701521fc89c70c1bbd8062.jpg

Last night we wandered the beach/tourist area of San Juan near our hotel. The hotel is about 4-5 blocks from the beach area and offered a shuttle to their own beach area complete with towels, umbrellas, loungers and bar service available. We did not take this opportunity as we were ready to explore a bit and it’s been raining here this morning.

On our walk we saw quite a bit of damage and it’s obvious many people are still on generator power. It’s still a Beautiful place regardless and the people are so friendly, positive and strong.

6ad8c10ca77e4dd713590cb34b2a9410.jpg

We visited two local bars.

Oceanos

2323bbcb6d7788fece618b8a8614357a.jpg

4b93f4d21b21a0ead0f256786d2e5812.jpg

9fe90bfa3606346d45d6591583e3ba5d.jpg

It was beautiful and the food was great. Just a fair warning it is expensive (expected based on the location) and service is for sure on island time. We enjoyed our time here for sure and got many beautiful pictures.

Next we wandered to Cafe Del Angel based on Yelp reviews. It is not quite as pristine as Oceanos but the drinks were cheap (and strong), the food looked amazing and the staff were friendly and attentive. The majority of guests were a mix of locals and seasoned tourists and it made for a lively atmosphere.

9895e995b0a247f99fef915bac977af1.jpg

7bc6dc4a5f8ad44a86b07662f2843e95.jpg

Oh and this place has happy hour specials all day. Mojitos were $4.00 and BF had Rum and Coke for $3.00. Highly suggested if you want a place to linger and enjoy a couple cocktails.