Destination Immersion or Azamara Aversion

sternmark

I am at wits end in trying to obtain excursion information and thought perhaps one last shot by posting on these informative boards might produce a lead.

We are booked on the Quest 10 day Classic Grand Prix & MedVoyage May 5th, so named for the destination immersion feature ofthis cruise that is the biennial Historic Grand Prix of Monaco.

For over a month now I have been trying to get information beyondthe generic seven line description of the shore excursion brochure. Withnothing more helpful than “it takes place on the famous circuit,” “enjoy sightsand sounds” and “its organized every two years” I was struggling to determinehow worthwhile this excursion, listed at four hours and priced at $299 pp,could be in comparison to purchasing grandstand tickets on my own through theevent sponsor for both days at $86pp. Surely there must be something specialfor Azamara guests at their price and considering this is the feature namesakeevent for the cruise.

Now having spent over a month contacting Azamara by phone andemail, multiple emails to RCL Shorex and multiple emails to the LCV Ambassadorfor specifics, the best response I received just today (at least now I got one)was The Historic Grand Prix is a race around the F1 track thathappens every 2 years. This is done with vintage cars. Guests will bewalked to the grandstands where they can watch the race both days. It alsoincludes a ticket holder.

The first half of that information really just states the obvious.At least now I know there are grandstand tickets, but that’s it? Which grandstand? What seats? (there are good locations and not so good). That is it for near $600 for two when I could have purchased my own tickets for two for$172 and picked the seats? All I can say is that must be one fancy ticket holder provided.

To add insult, my first selections for purchasing tickets on myown are now sold out; and include the Azamara annoyance of not being able touse my OBC in advance for this excursion. I know, I should have hedged and riskedthe $172 up front, but then why do I have to fork up that much more asprotection for poor info, untimely response, and potential of a dud destinationimmersion.

This rant, for which I apologize, is really in hopes that Ms.MacLaird who I understand is the Azamara representative whomonitors/participates in this board will see this and be able to provide mewith or direct me to who can provide some detail on this excursion, the featureevent of this cruise. That would be much appreciated.

While we have enjoyed our cruises on Azamara, it has becomeextraordinarily frustrating to experience the dearth of relevant information,recent poor experiences, and more limited selection of shore excursion experienceson a line that espouses destination immersion. I fear this is creating for meand perhaps others something more like Azamara aversion.

Hopefully Ms. MacLaird or perhaps an Azamara aficionado who was onthis cruise two years ago will read this (am sorry, lengthy) post and be ableto provide some helpful information. Thank you.

Edited by sternmark
typos came up and fixed

Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations, must admit I decided to do my own thing there.

I ordered my tickets for Grandstand V for Saturday and Sunday direct from the Automobile Club de Monaco a few months ago for only 80 Euro. There is no allocated seating on any of the grandstands,it’s open seating. Looking at the website this evening there are plenty of seats available on both days in the swimming pool complex of the circuit. At present, the Monaco Port arrivals states that the ship is tendering into the Fontvieille port which is 15 minute walk to the circuit.

Hope this helps

http://www.formula1monaco.com/

Edited by Azamarajunkie
additional text

Thank you. I got sidetracked by another look-a-like website offering tickets whereas the ACM website shows percentage availability which I should have been following. I had wanted to get into grandstand B, now sold out. But I may well purchase at the pool complex with seats as you note. Very helpful, thank you much.

A poor description by Azamara and no incentive to make you want to spend a lot of money on. The two day tickets go for 70€ and if you want to wait you can go and buy tickets on the day for 35 or 55€ depending on the day. They were not sold out two years ago.

We will wait and see. Maybe we will just play it by ear.:p

Hello Sternmark,

I'll see if I can find more information on the historic race tours.

I am sure our excursion also includes round-trip transportation, as well as the event entrance fee, and the aforementioned bespoke ticket holder.

I am wondering though why you claim we offer a 'more limit selection of shore excursion experiences' when in reality we have created many more tours and small-group experiences than ever in our short history? Are you not happy with the selection of tours offered on your cruise?

Hello Sternmark,

I'll see if I can find more information on the historic race tours.

I am sure our excursion also includes round-trip transportation, as well as the event entrance fee, and the aforementioned bespoke ticket holder.

I am wondering though why you claim we offer a 'more limit selection of shore excursion experiences' when in reality we have created many more tours and small-group experiences than ever in our short history? Are you not happy with the selection of tours offered on your cruise?

Yes, that would be great to find out more. I’mreally just trying to determine if there is anything more to it than gettinggrandstand tickets given the significant price differential (more thanmark-ups), and if known what grandstand the tickets are for. That would begreatly appreciated.

As for my comment you ask of, that is based onour long history with Azamara (going back to the birth of the line with voyagesto Bermuda) and what we’ve experienced more recently. For example for thiscurrent cruise, in the fall there were 8 offerings for Amalfi, now 5; Taormina4, now 3; Olbia 4, now 3. Same happened on W. Indies cruise last spring, and a “smallgroup” hike that ended having too many for an inexperienced guide to handle.That’s been our reality of late. Arguably that’s anecdotal and maybe I’m justshowing frustration with a disconnect from the marketing expectations set and attentionto detail, so apologies if it seemed prickly.

But perhaps best to stay on the issue at hand,acquiring some information on the namesake excursion for this cruise. That willbe very much appreciated, and regardless, I’m sure we’ll enjoy. Thank you much.

Sternmark I understand your question. I am not Azamara so I do not know the answer. I can tell you from experience that the cruise line will always charge you for excursions much more than you will find locally. They will not necessarily offer you more for that money. This happened to us when we went for Carnival in Rio, bought our excursion with the cruise line (Celebrity) thinking that at those expensive prices we would have something special. It was wrong. What we got was the transfer to the Sambadrom, the tickets, and the shuttle bus back to the ship. Not even those few things were well organized. Our complaints were ignored by the Guest relation manager, saying that this is how things run in Brazil. We could have bought that locally at a third of the price that we payed at the cruiseline.

So if I were you, I would buy my ticket locally. I would not wait to see if the cruiseline is offering something more for those prices. Do you need something more? I would buy the best ticket I am willing to pay, take a taxi there and take a taxi to comeback.

Ivi

Sternmark I understand your question. I am not Azamara so I do not know the answer. I can tell you from experience that the cruise line will always charge you for excursions much more than you will find locally. They will not necessarily offer you more for that money. This happened to us when we went for Carnival in Rio, bought our excursion with the cruise line (Celebrity) thinking that at those expensive prices we would have something special. It was wrong. What we got was the transfer to the Sambadrom, the tickets, and the shuttle bus back to the ship. Not even those few things were well organized. Our complaints were ignored by the Guest relation manager, saying that this is how things run in Brazil. We could have bought that locally at a third of the price that we payed at the cruiseline.

So if I were you, I would buy my ticket locally. I would not wait to see if the cruiseline is offering something more for those prices. Do you need something more? I would buy the best ticket I am willing to pay, take a taxi there and take a taxi to comeback.

Ivi

Hi travelberlin,

Thanks for the post. I understand the cruise line will have a hefty markup, maybe 50%+, even double/100%, for the convenience, return-to-ship guarantee, profit, etc. but here it was about a 275% markup so I was anticipating something more. It so happens I just got a response from shorex@rccl.com (and a thanks to them for getting back) with some info, but it sounds not unlike your experience...tickets, someone to help you get there, that's about it.

Also happens that I took an advance cue from your post and purchased my own tickets last evening from the ACM website (per azamarajunkie). Not happy my 1st choice was now sold out ... as you noted, don't wait to see what the line offers...but still got a decent location I think. Thanks for your suggestions.

PS for anyone interested who may be on this cruise - shorex@rccl.com indicated the tickets they will obtain will be grandstand K. Unknown which section, 1 thru 8, but somewhere in K. I went for some of the last few in K-1 which seems to be preferred by past attendees.

Yes, that would be great to find out more. I’mreally just trying to determine if there is anything more to it than gettinggrandstand tickets given the significant price differential (more thanmark-ups), and if known what grandstand the tickets are for. That would begreatly appreciated.

As for my comment you ask of, that is based onour long history with Azamara (going back to the birth of the line with voyagesto Bermuda) and what we’ve experienced more recently. For example for thiscurrent cruise, in the fall there were 8 offerings for Amalfi, now 5; Taormina4, now 3; Olbia 4, now 3. Same happened on W. Indies cruise last spring, and a “smallgroup” hike that ended having too many for an inexperienced guide to handle.That’s been our reality of late. Arguably that’s anecdotal and maybe I’m justshowing frustration with a disconnect from the marketing expectations set and attentionto detail, so apologies if it seemed prickly.

But perhaps best to stay on the issue at hand,acquiring some information on the namesake excursion for this cruise. That willbe very much appreciated, and regardless, I’m sure we’ll enjoy. Thank you much.

Our tour department is working on a more thorough description of this tour. I realize it's too late for you since you've opted for another route, but I do thank you for pointing out the lack of description. Others will certainly appreciate it!

Our tour department is working on a more thorough description of this tour. I realize it's too late for you since you've opted for another route, but I do thank you for pointing out the lack of description. Others will certainly appreciate it!

Sounds good, yes, can help others who may have not made plans yet. Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Just bought my tickets today on the ACM web site. Still no good description from Azamara as of what to expect from their shore-ex, which is priced fairly high. I have to pick up the tickets in Rue Grimaldi, but that is not a big inconvenience. Just thought I would let you know that it is not too late to puchase tickets online. :D

Just bought my tickets today on the ACM web site. Still no good description from Azamara as of what to expect from their shore-ex, which is priced fairly high. I have to pick up the tickets in Rue Grimaldi, but that is not a big inconvenience. Just thought I would let you know that it is not too late to puchase tickets online. :D

Hi Oddjob, which grandstand did you manage to get? I’m in the Anthony Noges, grandstand V on both Sat and Sun

Hi Oddjob, which grandstand did you manage to get? I’m in the Anthony Noges, grandstand V on both Sat and Sun

Had originally decided for K, but changed my mind last minute. We now have sat/sun tickets for grandstand L, by the pool. From there we can also see the pits, so maybe more entertaining. :D

TTIWWP. Lol

Phil

Left the blue one at home. Will have to use the pink one.

Update#1

We are safely in Civitavecchia. All luggage accounted for. Good to go.

Undecided wether to go to the port for the disembarkation spectacle. Better not.

Port at noon sounds like a plan.