Shipwreck Bar on St. Kitts shutting down?

SpeedsterX

• 2 weeks later...

We were just there as part of a tour last week......The water was green with algae from the hurricane and as far as the bar it's self kind of disappointed.....We were told that they are on borrowed time...had closed but reopened for an uncertain amount of time. I wouldn't think it was worth the ride to get there...JMHO.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, starrcards said:

Just to bring this back up front.  We will be in St. Kitts a few days after Christmas and want to visit Shipwreck.  Any recent visitors to comment on their status?

Just looked them up online, and I really think are closed now?

Edited by vacationlover_mn

My daughters and I spent the day at Shipwreck in October. It is one of my favorite beaches and I purposely booked a cruise with St. Kitts as an itinerary because I wanted my daughters to see it. Shipwreck isn't for everyone. It's very low key - not a fancy touristy place. The snorkeling from shore is decent. The views are outstanding! Just swim out to the platform and enjoy the clear water. When you arrive in port- your taxi driver should know whether or not Shipwreck is still open. Some taxi drivers will try to take you to Carambola - assuming you're looking for a more upscale experience. You could message Shipwreck from their FB account closer to the time you're visiting. On 11.23, they posted that they were hiring seasonal workers. It doesn't sound like they're planning on closing anytime soon. 

• Like 1

Just back from a visit to St Kitts on Freedom of the Seas....were there Dec. 7th.  Thinking Shipwreck was closed, took Royston Tour.  Drove right by Shipwreck entrance and the sign was out and taxis with passengers were headed down the road.  So far, so good?

• 2 weeks later...

DW and I were there this past Nov. and they were open and ready! I talked to one of the bar ladies about the closing at they said the proposed plans for the mega resort fell through due to lack of permits, land studies and what not. She said that anyway, they were able to prove that the land they lease does not belong to the land in contest for the resort so they decided to stay open for quite some time.

• Like 1

We never made it to the Shipwreck on our Christmas Freedom cruise. My 12 y/o son fractured his ankle in Aruba 2 days previous. We spent our morning in St. Kitts at the orthopedic surgeon getting his ankle casted.  I guesss the only saving grace was that the day was kinda showery.

2 hours ago, starrcards said:

We never made it to the Shipwreck on our Christmas Freedom cruise. My 12 y/o son fractured his ankle in Aruba 2 days previous. We spent our morning in St. Kitts at the orthopedic surgeon getting his ankle casted.  I guesss the only saving grace was that the day was kinda showery.

Oh man! Hope he’s doing all right. That can be a vacation killer. 

I was sad to find this thread and read about what is happening.  We visited Discovery Beach Bar and walked down and checked out Shipwreck on our January 2018 cruise.  I just looked online and there are reviews posted as recent as 2 days ago saying people had visited Discovery and posed photos and a review.  Guess that means that it is still currently open (for now).  Hope it is still open when we revisit St. Kitts in the future.  We had a fantastic day there.

16 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I was sad to find this thread and read about what is happening.  We visited Discovery Beach Bar and walked down and checked out Shipwreck on our January 2018 cruise.  I just looked online and there are reviews posted as recent as 2 days ago saying people had visited Discovery and posed photos and a review.  Guess that means that it is still currently open (for now).  Hope it is still open when we revisit St. Kitts in the future.  We had a fantastic day there.

Yes, both are still open.  I follow Shipwreck on social media and they are open for business and are posting.  Even better news...there have been a couple of recent posts indicating they may be sticking around.  One of those posts is actually on this thread, posted by Stinger-pr just last week (January 8, 2019).  It appears that  the proposed development project threatening both Shipwreck and Discovery may have fallen through.  Someone else stared a new thread here on CC regarding Shipwreck and Discovery, mentioning that both are "still active and not anticipating a move anytime soon" (attached link to that one).  So this sounds like good news.  We spent several hours at Shipwreck in 2015 and we just loved everything about it and next time we get back to St. Kitts, we'll be going to Shipwreck. 

Edited by pghsteelerfan

On 1/16/2019 at 3:05 PM, pghsteelerfan said:

Yes, both are still open.  I follow Shipwreck on social media and they are open for business and are posting.  Even better news...there have been a couple of recent posts indicating they may be sticking around.  One of those posts is actually on this thread, posted by Stinger-pr just last week (January 8, 2019).  It appears that  the proposed development project threatening both Shipwreck and Discovery may have fallen through.  Someone else stared a new thread here on CC regarding Shipwreck and Discovery, mentioning that both are "still active and not anticipating a move anytime soon" (attached link to that one).  So this sounds like good news.  We spent several hours at Shipwreck in 2015 and we just loved everything about it and next time we get back to St. Kitts, we'll be going to Shipwreck. 

Glad to hear both are still operating.  Not set to arrive in St. Kitts until March 2021 again.  Hopefully Morsi will still be in operation then for our return.  Small rustic place, but so peaceful and great food.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, can confirm the ladies at the bar said they are open indefinitely and the deal is off!  We loved St. Kitts and the Shipwreck bar!  Highly recommend!  Here is my video of it - in 360 viewable in virtual reality if you have a viewer like Google Cardboard or Oculus.  

• Like 1