Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

notamermaid

1 hour ago, hbr777 said:

Will the same wave of water also reach as far as Emmerich, which is crazy low at 7 cm? I see Worms was once 7 cm is now at 37. It is still raining and it is a beautiful thing. Fingers crossed this rain makes a difference. It seems like it has already.

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 9.25.51 AM.png

Not in that intesity. But an effect will certainly be seen at Emmerich. As Maxau is before the large tributaries Main and Moselle the graph for that area does not reflect rain that has fallen along the Main in Hesse and in the western part of the Vosges mountains which drain into the Moselle. So if it rains in the Upper Rhine valley, Middle Rhine valley and in France the effect for the areas downstream from Koblenz are greater. On the map, where you see rain over the towns Metz and Saarbrücken, that is the area I mean and that gives the rain to the river North of Koblenz.

River levels: Maxau again up, currently at 362cm, Kaub 56cm, Koblenz 46cm. Now that looks better. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

On 10/29/2018 at 11:45 AM, notamermaid said:

The Monarch Queen (ex-Amadagio) is 110m long, currently docked in Koblenz and marked as being on her way to Basel. Let's see what will happen with her, too.

She changed her route and went to Cologne.

Next one to check is the Johann Strauss. She is in Mainz and her itinerary will take her North.

While looking around marinetraffic I found ships in odd places. In harbours away from the cities usually visited, "back gardens" of cities or obscure towns that are not on anybody's river cruising radar. I am sure the locals in Andernach unaware of the dire situation which river cruise ships must have been wondering why their river bank was suddenly so busy.

Echo9er,

regarding your e-mail from Avalon. Avalon has been using the Engers dock for several itineraries trying to enable passengers to see the Rhine gorge. Koblenz is struggling to accommodate all the ships so Engers was a good idea. Two ships of Avalon are currently "parked out of the way in the back garden" on the Moselle at a suburb of Koblenz. Hopefully they will be on their way again soon.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I spotted the Lofn on marinetraffic in transit at an unusual hour last night. Now I know why. Levels still tricky downstream from Koblenz of course. You are in Köln Niehl, which is actually the winter harbour for many river cruise ships. I think the Viking Bestla is at the usual Viking dock along the Rhine. Not sure why you ended up in the harbour then. A safety measure, or no double docking allowed? If you are interested, I am sure the cruise director is happy to explain.

Can you remember which excursion boat you took through the gorge?

Have a great time in Cologne and in the Netherlands. It has been a bit of an adventure for you, for sure.

The wind today feels ice cold. Skies should clear up and there are warmer temperatures forecast for tomorrow.

notamermaid

Not sure what excursion boat yesterday was, off hand. We did see a boat at port along river in Cologne. We are definitely not in an ideal location. We brought the ship location card and taxied back but driver had a difficult time finding location, being there are 2 entrances, attempted to call reception but unable to speak German for our driver. Did find it by asking someone working the port. Town was great, nice to get out and walk around. Rain had taken a break but it has returned. 

35 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Next one to check is the Johann Strauss. She is in Mainz and her itinerary will take her North.

notamermaid

According to the Teeming web site, the Johann Strauss is scheduled to leave Mainz around 20:00 tonight. 

12 minutes ago, gracebest said:

Does anyone know where the Viking Hild currently is docked? Thanks.

If I am reading marinetraffic.com correctly, it looks like the Viking Hild is currently moving and is past Mainz heading to the Rhine Gorge!  If she makes it through, it will make all of us going that route next week feel a lot better!

44 minutes ago, millebe said:

If I am reading marinetraffic.com correctly, it looks like the Viking Hild is currently moving and is past Mainz heading to the Rhine Gorge!  If she makes it through, it will make all of us going that route next week feel a lot better!

that data is about 3 hours old right now, so we just have to wait and see where she pops up next...

Actually it looks like Emerald Sky is going to be the first of the 135m ships to make it through the Rhine Gorge today.

She is heading north through the Gorge having started her day near Frankfurt.

Currently still some distance south of Koblenz near Boppard, making 8.6Kts.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, pully8 said:

Yes agree with that thought.

Given the contract terms and conditions which are written to protect the operators revenue and business interest, they can make any changes at anytime.

We may have to settle and go with the reality that we at great cost/risk, are simply booking mystery trips?

The marketing material is pretty but fantasy in travel.

Under UK law, at least, they can't make changes that completely change the holiday - eg. taking you to a different country.  My Shearings/A-Rosa holiday has it in their terms and conditions that if they make a major change (which this is) then they will offer a full refund in advance.

20 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Actually it looks like Emerald Sky is going to be the first of the 135m ships to make it through the Rhine Gorge today.

She is heading north through the Gorge having started her day near Frankfurt.

Currently still some distance south of Koblenz near Boppard, making 8.6Kts.

Just past Spay still making good speed.

Keep in mind though that the water levels are higher right now than they have been for about 3 weeks, so before we start celebrating we need to see what level they can hold at for the next few days...

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Just past Spay still making good speed.

Keep in mind though that the water levels are higher right now than they have been for about 3 weeks, so before we start celebrating we need to see what level they can hold at for the next few days...

Hooray and cheers to the Emerald Sky and her crew. As I write she is in Bad Breisig sailing towards Bonn. I have got the feeling she is travelling without passengers. Which as we have established does not make much difference to the draft. On her way she passed the Amadante (110m) near Boppard. Amadante's signal has been lost in the gorge. Also travelling upstream is the William Shakespeare (110m) having just passed Spay. This is such good news.

The Emerald Sky has almost literally been riding on the wave that went through the gorge today. And a second wave is coming from Maxau.

The river levels are: Maxau 374cm, Kaub 59cm, Koblenz 60cm.

With a smile  - realism is for tomorrow - I shall retire with a hot chocolate after a cold, wet and stormy day to television and a comfy sofa.

Cheers!

notamermaid

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

With a smile  - realism is for tomorrow - I shall retire with a hot chocolate after a cold, wet and stormy day to television and a comfy sofa.

Enjoy a well earned rest.

One to look for in the morning is Viking Hlin, she seems to be the first of the 135m ships heading upstream, south through the gorge.

She left Cologne earlier this evening bound ultimately for Basel.

4 hours ago, millebe said:

Thanks! That's good news, indeed.  We were on the Hild a few weeks ago when we got stuck in Speyer. It meant one day of bussing from Speyer to Strasbourg.  And the last day we were supposed to dock in Basel and bus to Zurich, but instead we bussed from Speyer to Basel and on to Zurich.  I feel bad for those that were more impacted than us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannockfrodo said:

So our APT departing Amsterdam on Nov 10 is definitely on we understand. How much of the itinerary is kept only time will tell.

As long as we can still get through the Rhine Gorge, the rest is looking pretty safe right now, but still time for things to charge...

See you on board 🙂

Vantage River Voyager update:  Received a call from corporate today @ 1200, we were told we would be checking into the Dorint Hotel in Basel for 2 nights.  While we were driving to Newark, received another call that we would be in a hotel for 5 nights, and joining the boat in Koblenz.

So at least we now know were to go when we get to Basel.

Starting vacation with a Guinness and a Sam Adams in the airport lounge.

I do wonder sometimes if it is better to be blissfully ignorant of what is to come, but like many of these forums I could never actually do that, I have to research and prepare, it is just my nature 🙂

I am sure though that there will be many people on many cruises over the next few weeks that will have no idea of all the drama and suspense we have been through this year.

13 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

🙂

I am sure though that there will be many people on many cruises over the next few weeks that will have no idea of all the drama and suspense we have been through this year.

I think 3-4 people on our cruise have posted here.  They probably represent about 10 people out of 176 (one person was conversing with their neighbor who they were going with, so I'll count them as well).

The other 94% probably had little idea that Europe was experiencing a drought.  These phone calls coming so late were probably a rude awakening.

7 hours ago, millebe said:

Where does the Rhine Gorge start and end?  The Hild will be heading up the Mosel to Trier. I wasn’t sure if it would be affected by the low water in the gorge. 

19 minutes ago, Oh2Bcruisin said:

Where does the Rhine Gorge start and end?  The Hild will be heading up the Mosel to Trier. I wasn’t sure if it would be affected by the low water in the gorge. 

Koblenz to Bingen.

Mosel joins the Rhine in Koblenz.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS
Spelling

2 hours ago, ural guy said:

Vantage River Voyager update:  Received a call from corporate today @ 1200, we were told we would be checking into the Dorint Hotel in Basel for 2 nights.  While we were driving to Newark, received another call that we would be in a hotel for 5 nights, and joining the boat in Koblenz.

So at least we now know were to go when we get to Basel.

Starting vacation with a Guinness and a Sam Adams in the airport lounge.

Yes got our call tonite.  You were told your hotel. They did not inform us. My only concern to them was that I be in same hotel as my neighbors.   They said we should be. Hopefully.    Go with Flow.  Maybe more changes coming. But at least I can finish packing tommorrow. 

2 hours ago, Oh2Bcruisin said:

We were on the Hild in mid Sept. We heard from the program director, Emma, and our captain on the first or second night that He was watching the levels in the gorge very closely. We did lose some time out of Basel in the middle of the night because of lines at the locks. Therefore we got into Strasbourg later than expected and our tour started later and it was 86 degrees midday and humid.That spoiled Strasbourg for me because it was crowded as Disneyland and the cathedral was not open until later. Others were not quite as bothered by heat. So then we were told that we were going to make it through the gorge but we’re going to leave Mainz earlier than expected, just before dinner. At that time Koblenz was at 59cm which I believe it is now or was this morning. Then it rained a little in Koblenz. Make sure you go in the gondola in Koblenz.

The Mosel is deeper I believe and the water was full. It is very winding and a joy to be sailing. The locks there keep the water levels navigable. If you have Emma, she will tell you why the Mosel is this way. Very interesting. As Notamermaid has informed us continuously, the levels change constantly throughout the day and night and a few centimeters make a difference. Good to see the Hild has not been affected as much as others until just lately. Love that ship and the crew is absolutely TOPS! Wishing all a wonderful voyage, even if some is by bus. Hey, you get to see some beautiful countryside! 

6 hours ago, MitchellD said:

Interesting.

My TA still tells us that UNiworld "River Queen" Ams-BSL is still ongoing regardless.

Like many people probably wont find out what will happen until I get there though.

Right now there is no reason why that isn't correct.

The ship is close to Amsterdam at the moment and she is one of the slightly smaller 110m ships so even if the water levels drop back a little bit she should still be OK.