Super fun day from Falmouth to falls with Cool Dave!!!

#1TravelMom

Hi there,

Does Cool Dave have multiple drivers? Just checking since I inquired about his availability using the first email you listed (didn't see the yahoo one) and got a response from Keron.

I did use the yahoo email and recieved a response from Keron.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Yes, Cool Dave owns or runs the company, but he does have other drivers. We found this out the hard way... after booking Dave via email, when we arrived in Jamaica, he called to tell us he was taking another larger group and that we’d have a different driver. I was really disappointed since I was under the impression that I was booking Dave, not just a company. However, our driver Sherlet, was amazing and she did NOT disappoint!! She helped us get through the admission line quicker at the falls, she got us a table at Scotchies, and did a great job with island information. I would highly recommend her!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Thank you for the info! We always enjoy booking private tours whenever we are in port. In fact, we used Rony of RonyTours in Roatan as well. Loved him!

You mentioned that you didn't use a guide at the falls. I didn't realize you were able to climb the falls without one of their guides? I haven't been there in years....and I am anxious to take my boys...ages 14 and 11 on the falls.

Thanks.

So how do you go about visiting the falls without a guide, I was there several years ago and found it to be a harassing experience as we had to be apart of a chain, were bugged to purchase lockers and pictures and videos, and the market on the way out was next to impossible to get through without being pawed at right left and centre. I loved the falls and want to go back but am hesitant after my first experience there!!!

We go completely to the bottom of the falls to the beach. We start climbing from there and no one ever bothers us. If anyone tells you to join there group, just politely decline and move on. When we leave the falls, we walk briskly through the "craft vendors". I'm extremely patience and tolerant, but the people at the falls are so overly pushy and rude, I'd rather just buy souvenirs at the port.

The falls is beautiful and so much fun. Don't let a bad experience deter you from going back. Go with Cool Dave and get there before the buses. Take your time, even climb twice if you like and have a great time!

• Like 2

We go completely to the bottom of the falls to the beach. We start climbing from there and no one ever bothers us. If anyone tells you to join there group, just politely decline and move on. When we leave the falls, we walk briskly through the "craft vendors". I'm extremely patience and tolerant, but the people at the falls are so overly pushy and rude, I'd rather just buy souvenirs at the port.

The falls is beautiful and so much fun. Don't let a bad experience deter you from going back. Go with Cool Dave and get there before the buses. Take your time, even climb twice if you like and have a great time!

Thanks for the info, we will definitely give it another try as you are so right the falls are exquisite !

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

We just booked today. I am excited. Can you tell me how you identified him in the port? He did tell us what gate to go out, but I suspect there are other tour companies trying to get your business. Does he have a sign or something on his van? I will follow-up with Dave when it is closer to our date, but always good to hear first hand experience too. Thanks!

• Like 1

I would screenshot his picture at the beginning of this post so you can recognize him.  He may have a sign with your name.  Do NOT give anyone your name.  Make sure you only go with him if he has our name.  Many drivers will approach you and say they were sent to pick you up.  Tell everyone in your party not give out their names.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I plan to use Dave but I want to know about the best excursions to pick.

Are the two falls close to each other so we could do both?

Could we do the falls, tubing(how do we purchase-on site, in advance, etc..), blue hole and lunch at Scotchies if we are docked from 7am-5pm?

Is one fall better than the other?

Is the blue hole a must see?

Is there anything else that would be fun to do?

Are you touring from Falmouth or Ocho Rios?  I think you have time to do both falls or one plus tubing.  Check with Dave to be sure.

What ages are in your group?

The falls are VERY different.

Dunns River - You walk to the bottom, visit a small beach.  Then begin your climb over huge boulders to get to the top.  Take your time, splash in small pools, spend as long as you like. It can be crowded. 

Secret Falls/Blue Hole - No beach.  No climbing to speak of.  You follow a path in the jungle to several pools and water falls.  There are different sizes of falls to jump off of and a high platform to jump from.  You are accompanied by a guide who keeps moving.  You do not really have time to "swim".  A few minutes here and there at the falls to spend a little time in the water. Most times, not super crowded.

The river tubing is mostly floating.  It is very nice, but I'd say that can be done other places.  In my opinion, if you are not sure if or when you may get back to Jamaica, I'd do both falls.  They are both beautiful sights - no to be missed.  We just visited both falls again in June and our group had a fabulous day!  This was at least 5 times we've been to Secret Falls.  They added railings and steps and the whole experience is less "natural", but still so much fun.  We've been to Dunns at least 10 times - our family loves it there.

I encourage you to get a group to go as this will make the cost less per person.  When are you going, you could check with others on your roll call? 

Both falls are highlights of this port.  There are "fun" things to do at Mystic Mountain, but we prefer the falls for sure.

@#1TravelMom, we are docking in Falmouth and will be there from 7-5, according to our itinerary. There are 12 in our party, consisting of two families with 4 kids each ages ranging from 6-18. I have already sent an email to Dave requesting availability and price. We don't have anything booked that day and I want to make the most of our time there. I am not interested in lying on a beach as we already have a beach house and can do that whenever we want. I want to see and do things that I can't here at home. My 1st impression of the cruise including Jamaica was excitement because we had never been there but then I read after booking that Falmouth was nothing special. It will be our last port, after Cozumel(booked swimming with the Dolphins) and George Town, Grand Cayman(nothing booked yet) so I'd like to end on a high note! Any advice appreciated!

We just toured with Cool Dave last week. It was a great day. Our time in port was cut short do ship issues, so we had to make some tough choices about what to do. Dave went over the itineary with us and the timing. We wanted to do the Blue Hole and Dunn River Falls. Our time was going to be limited at both so we thought only Dunn River Falls. Dave highly encouraged us to do Blue Hole too. In hindsight, we wished we had only done Blue Hole. It was fantastic! We had a great guide. We didn't have a chance to finish because we had to run to Dunn River Falls. I wish we would have taken more time at Blue Hole and gone to Scotchies for lunch.

Dunn River was cool and fun to climb but just felt like a big tourist trap. And we felt like we were running the gauntlet to get out of the vendor market. Uggghhhh

We had 10 people in our group and we all agreed we wished we had more time at Blue Hole. 

The one thing I was worried about was finding Dave at the port. We did struggle a bit. Be sure you go completely outside the fenced area. We had some very nice local people help us. On your return Dave can go inside the fenced area and drop you right off.

If we are in Jamaica again I wouldn't hesitate booking with him again. One more word of caution the drivers in Jamaica (as they are in many places) are crazy, so if you have anyone prone to car sickness prepare ahead of time especially if you go to the Blue Hole. 

We loved Jamaica and would definitely go back!

I am wondering if we could go to Dunn first to avoid all the people and then over to Blue Hole?

And what would a good tip for Dave be? He quoted us $350 for the 12 of us.

Edited by lehmann6

On 3/29/2018 at 2:03 PM, andreachs said:

Thanks for the recommendation! We contacted Cool Dave and are using him to take us to the Falls next week! I have a question, though, did you pay him with cash? Do you recall paying for the entrance for the falls with cash? And finally, did Scotchies take credit cards? Just trying to determine how much cash I should be taking with us or if credit cards are sufficient for all these places. Thanks so much!

We paid him cash. We also had cash for Dunn River. A good thing because as soon as we entered the parking lot someone met us at his van and went and purchased all of our tickets. We didn't have to wait in any lines. We didn't go to Scotchies, so I can't comment.

10 minutes ago, lehmann6 said:

I am wondering if we could go to Dunn first to avoid all the people and then over to Blue Hole?

And what would a good tip for Dave be? He quoted us $350 for the 12 of us.

Dave  recommended the schedule for us based on timing. Depends if there are other ships in port, etc. 

We gave him a 25% tip.