Everything... Norwegian ENCORE! Launch Nov 2019

TheDougOut

6 hours ago, RNRcruisers said:

That is what I'm afraid of. Where will we go on sea days?

The following statement is purely me venting. I’m not expecting an actual answer...

Pressure Relief Valve Open..

I don’t get it. First let me say, I am on the Inaugural TA because it is the last of the BA class of ships that we have loved as a family (esp 2015 era NCL Management - Breakaway from NY) and my wife and I have wanted to do an inaugural TA for years. Were going to be indoors for many days and that’s something we love. Deck space and outdoor events won’t have any impact on us, nor will crowds like Summertime out of NY.  I had a Summer Bermuda booked on Encore and I’ve cancelled it. I won’t spend 5000$+ on that ship for a summer sailing that is packed. 

I keep reading over and over again about the lack of deckspace, the loss of Spice, the massive amounts of real estate made into some sort of Virtual  Reality, the extra charges for everything, and on and on. And then you read post after post of everyone throwing their money at NCL for this ship!!!! WHY? Book Getaway, Book Breakaway, Book Escape, Book Bliss or Joy even, but why is everyone investing in a product they don’t like?? Soon FDR will bloviate to his shareholders how Encore has more bookings than any other ship NCL has had and further out and on and on and on. He will brag how their go to market strategy for paid venues and virtual reality and go carts lead the industry in generating revenue both pre cruise and on board spending, yet over and over educated cruisers say “This is awful.... But I’m booked”. With all the options of ships and experiences and beautifully designed decks,  why??!?!?

This is rhetorical. I know some will love the design, mothers and fathers of kids and families may think this design is the pinnacle of cruising (until they want to spend an hour in the sun without the kids)

Time will tell, however I just don’t understand why so many will flock to book this ship at premium prices, but will declare the design sucks. 

I’m done.

Not looking for answers, just to vent. It’s capitalism, open free markets, and it’s what out country is founded on, but I just can’t get over with this design that “If you build it they will come”. 

Carry on!

Having said all that we are like 17 days from boarding and I’m excited as heck to do this Trans Atlantic with our family of 500 CC members!!

Edited by SailBreakaway
  • Like 7

On 10/15/2019 at 11:05 AM, TheDougOut said:

Out at Meyer Werft today, Aida revealed some previews of their latest design (Cosma).  It certainly demonstrates a difference in direction...

0EA9CD00-1067-4DDE-B1C8-A5D0D83C2B47.jpeg

70465484-E811-4C94-9B3D-EAD6CE0CDCEC.jpeg

Don't make me do an infographic of Cosma's top deck! I'm fairly sure Cosma is built on the same platform as P&O Iona and Carnival Mardi Gras.

I understand your point; its price elasticity and him testing how much people will tolerate. One day they will cut the buffet and make all food a la carte I am sure.

Sometimes we book a cruise based on scheduling, ports, location etc... destination; and deal with whatever we are thrown with.

One day they will make a ship without a pool. 

Its kind of what happened in the concert industry; major shows in the late 80's-early 90's would be $28.50 to $30.

Then the Eagles got back together and charged .... $100 in 1994- that made it okay for the Stones to charge $50 in stadiums and then it went up and up and up.

Same thing with NCL- new CEO probably realized O Shennan (who was excellent and loved cruising and was passionate about the ships themselves and a hero) was undercharging and people would pay more and deal with it.

Although I am excited about the race track I am not about laser tag but maybe after a few or four dark and stormys I might.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SailBreakaway said:

The following statement is purely me venting. I’m not expecting an actual answer...

Pressure Relief Valve Open..

I don’t get it. First let me say, I am on the Inaugural TA because it is the last of the BA class of ships that we have loved as a family (esp 2015 era NCL Management - Breakaway from NY) and my wife and I have wanted to do an inaugural TA for years. Were going to be indoors for many days and that’s something we love. Deck space and outdoor events won’t have any impact on us, nor will crowds like Summertime out of NY.  I had a Summer Bermuda booked on Encore and I’ve cancelled it. I won’t spend 5000$+ on that ship for a summer sailing that is packed. 

I keep reading over and over again about the lack of deckspace, the loss of Spice, the massive amounts of real estate made into some sort of Virtual  Reality, the extra charges for everything, and on and on. And then you read post after post of everyone throwing their money at NCL for this ship!!!! WHY? Book Getaway, Book Breakaway, Book Escape, Book Bliss or Joy even, but why is everyone investing in a product they don’t like?? Soon FDR will bloviate to his shareholders how Encore has more bookings than any other ship NCL has had and further out and on and on and on. He will brag how their go to market strategy for paid venues and virtual reality and go carts lead the industry in generating revenue both pre cruise and on board spending, yet over and over educated cruisers say “This is awful.... But I’m booked”. With all the options of ships and experiences and beautifully designed decks,  why??!?!?

This is rhetorical. I know some will love the design, mothers and fathers of kids and families may think this design is the pinnacle of cruising (until they want to spend an hour in the sun without the kids)

Time will tell, however I just don’t understand why so many will flock to book this ship at premium prices, but will declare the design sucks. 

I’m done.

Not looking for answers, just to vent. It’s capitalism, open free markets, and it’s what out country is founded on, but I just can’t get over with this design that “If you build it they will come”. 

Carry on!

Having said all that we are like 17 days from boarding and I’m excited as heck to do this Trans Atlantic with our family of 500 CC members!!

I don't care about the design. It is a ship and it means I won't have to shovel snow. What really gets me is that, nobody has even been on the ship yet and so many people are complaining. 

3 hours ago, SailBreakaway said:

And then you read post after post of everyone throwing their money at NCL for this ship!!!! WHY? Book Getaway, Book Breakaway, Book Escape, Book Bliss or Joy even, but why is everyone investing in a product they don’t like?? Soon FDR will bloviate to his shareholders how Encore has more bookings than any other ship NCL has had and further out and on and on and on. He will brag how their go to market strategy for paid venues and virtual reality and go carts lead the industry in generating revenue both pre cruise and on board spending, yet over and over educated cruisers say “This is awful.... But I’m booked”. With all the options of ships and experiences and beautifully designed decks,  why??!?!?

for me, the only reason why i booked the Encore was the unique 9 day Canada/New England cruise stopping at Prince Edward Island and Sydney, two ports that is never visited on a typically 7 day Canada/New England because they are further up north. When i book cruises i look at the itinerary and schedule and then the ship. Lucky thanks to the 20% latitude sale, the prices dropped like a rock to something more reasonable compare to when i first book that was expensive

2 hours ago, HowardK said:

Its kind of what happened in the concert industry; major shows in the late 80's-early 90's would be $28.50 to $30.

Then the Eagles got back together and charged .... $100 in 1994- that made it okay for the Stones to charge $50 in stadiums and then it went up and up and up.

Part of this problem is Ticketmaster and all of the related BS ticketmaster fees they charge for tickets. i was looking at some events, all of the extra fees and surchagres were like the price of a regular ticket. yikes . Sucks Ticketmaster and livenation have a monopoly on concert and event ticketing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packercruising said:

I don't care about the design. It is a ship and it means I won't have to shovel snow. What really gets me is that, nobody has even been on the ship yet and so many people are complaining. 

People are complaining about the design, which is known.  

9 hours ago, Cruiser Bruiser said:

Don't make me do an infographic of Cosma's top deck! I'm fairly sure Cosma is built on the same platform as P&O Iona and Carnival Mardi Gras.

Actually the P&O Iona and the Carnival Mardi Gras are built on the same platform as the AIDAnova - AIDAcosma is the second LNG ship for AIDA.

steamboats

Hi,

First time cruiser here. Going on the Encore with my family in Feb 2020. We are very excited and I'm sure we'll have a blast for a first time cruise, even though this thread has definitely been hard to read with all the complaints. I do get it and obviously many of you are seasoned cruisers and you know what you're talking about, so thanks for all the honest info :)

With that said, I will choose to remember mostly the good stuff, so thanks for the pics and the all the positive comments!

I had a question on the NCL website and the mobile app. I am having problems booking on the site or the app. I called an agent and ended up booking with them. They sent me a confirmation for everything. But when i go on the site or the app, it only shows there is an item booked for a certain day and then when i go into that day it doesn't show what is booked. 

The only thing i see booked, is a showing of Choir of Man that i managed to book online by luck... 

I opened a ticket with NCL technical support but they haven't fixed it yet. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, CazV said:

Is it me or this Haven pool is different than most others.  This looks winder overall with a sit down area but the actual plunge part might be a bit more narrow.  Cant tell for sure but this would be yet another difference than Bliss.  Thanks for posting. I love all these leaked photos!!!!

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

Welcome lzzzzz, we are sailing in February as well, 9-16, and are so looking forward to it, even with all the issues mentioned regarding the lack of public deck space, we'll be just fine, it's vacation somewhere warm after all!!

I experienced the same issues you did with my reservations, only Chior of a Man shows up in my list online but I did receive an email confirmation for all dining reservations and a separate email for entertainment. I didn't bother to call anyone since I assume the email confirmation will cover everything.

Can't wait for more photos of the ship to start trickling in now that it's on the move again.

Happy cruising!

• Like 2

We booked the inaugural Encore cruise in May 2018 as an 11 day cruise and kept our booking when it was shortened to 9 days. The roll call is 500 CC members with lots of activities planned. Lots of excited people on that roll call. I'm not one of them. We adjusted to the shortened portless cruise by adding more days (8) in the UK before the cruise and a couple in NYC after the cruise. However, if I had known then what I know now about this ship, I never would have booked. Bad enough that the cruise was shortened 2 days, no ports, and no warm weather. But, at least it was prorated and 25% fare reduction. So, we kept our booking. Things started going south when I found I couldn't book dining online, even though the menu took me right up to adding it to the cart. Then, reading all the negative posts took it further. I know it will probably be too cold to take advantage of the outdoor areas, but it is still offensive that there is a lack of free outside areas. Just not that exciting to me that the main attraction is that it is an inaugural cruise with fewer people onboard.

1 minute ago, prbffd28 said:

Welcome lzzzzz, we are sailing in February as well, 9-16, and are so looking forward to it, even with all the issues mentioned regarding the lack of public deck space, we'll be just fine, it's vacation somewhere warm after all!!

I experienced the same issues you did with my reservations, only Chior of a Man shows up in my list online but I did receive an email confirmation for all dining reservations and a separate email for entertainment. I didn't bother to call anyone since I assume the email confirmation will cover everything.

Can't wait for more photos of the ship to start trickling in now that it's on the move again.

Happy cruising!

I'm sure it'll be awesome. 

As for the reservations, i also got email confirmations but i read in one of the other threads that someone had them disappear from their summary and now the restaurants for their cruise dates are booked up for the times they wanted. So i'm a bit weary about trusting the confirmation emails... hopefully they fix the issue. i did open a ticket  so we'll see.

Also can't wait for more pics and especially inside pics and videos and stateroom walkthroughs....

18 minutes ago, Izzzzz said:

Hi,

First time cruiser here. Going on the Encore with my family in Feb 2020. We are very excited and I'm sure we'll have a blast for a first time cruise, even though this thread has definitely been hard to read with all the complaints. I do get it and obviously many of you are seasoned cruisers and you know what you're talking about, so thanks for all the honest info 🙂

With that said, I will choose to remember mostly the good stuff, so thanks for the pics and the all the positive comments!

I had a question on the NCL website and the mobile app. I am having problems booking on the site or the app. I called an agent and ended up booking with them. They sent me a confirmation for everything. But when i go on the site or the app, it only shows there is an item booked for a certain day and then when i go into that day it doesn't show what is booked. 

The only thing i see booked, is a showing of Choir of Man that i managed to book online by luck... 

I opened a ticket with NCL technical support but they haven't fixed it yet. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks!

Welcome and congrats on your first cruise!

Don't let the negative comments (and I've made some of them) affect your expectations. You will have a fabulous time on a brand new and gorgeous cruise ship. 

We will have much better info when Encore starts it's sailings, not that anything stated here so far is untrue.

I'm sailing Encore January 19th, 2020 and while I am unhappy with some of the design features, I will use the information here and elsewhere to properly prepare and maximize my experience. Me and my people always have a great time on every cruise we've ever been on and that will continue on the Encore.

My bookings show the same way online, so I'm sure it's normal. I do plan on bringing hard copies of my reservations with me just in case.

Have a great first cruise and keep on reading everything so you're better prepared.

Another tip would be to look out for someone to post dailies of our itinerary and read those carefully.

They will also prepare you for what to expect and to plan some of the activities that interest you and your people.

Good luck!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LrgPizza said:

Is there a link to a live webcam in this thread that I missed?  I've tried to briefly search and can't find one. I've found webcam images, but not the live link.  Thanks for any help you can provide!

45 minutes ago, Izzzzz said:

yes, please... can someone send a link to the cam and not static stills? Thanks 🙂

The link Steff posted above worked for me when I copied and pasted it into a new browser window. You need to manually refresh it.

Here's the link again: https://www.ncl.com/shipcams/encorecam/fullsize.jpg

In other news, Marine Traffic is now showing her as scheduled to dock at Bremerhaven this evening at 6pm.

• Like 1