Everything... Norwegian ENCORE! Launch Nov 2019

TheDougOut

8 minutes ago, billco said:

We booked the inaugural Encore cruise in May 2018 as an 11 day cruise and kept our booking when it was shortened to 9 days. The roll call is 500 CC members with lots of activities planned. Lots of excited people on that roll call. I'm not one of them. We adjusted to the shortened portless cruise by adding more days (8) in the UK before the cruise and a couple in NYC after the cruise. However, if I had known then what I know now about this ship, I never would have booked. Bad enough that the cruise was shortened 2 days, no ports, and no warm weather. But, at least it was prorated and 25% fare reduction. So, we kept our booking. Things started going south when I found I couldn't book dining online, even though the menu took me right up to adding it to the cart. Then, reading all the negative posts took it further. I know it will probably be too cold to take advantage of the outdoor areas, but it is still offensive that there is a lack of free outside areas. Just not that exciting to me that the main attraction is that it is an inaugural cruise with fewer people onboard.

As you pointed out, the exterior spaces were always rather inconsequential for our crossing, as nobody in their right mind has expectations of lounging around the pool in the northern Atlantic in November.

I’ll be honest... I see the crossing being one miserable experience for anyone not rolling with it and enjoying it for what it is.  It’s certainly one of those circumstances where the experience is left up to the individual.  

To me, the crossing is more about reuniting with old friends than anything related to a ship. On the last night of the Bliss crossing, as we approached NY, the top-deck chatter was all “we gotta do this again”, “I’ll book if you book” and “that’s not a biscuit, you idiot.”  The enthusiasm had NOTHING to do with go karts, shows, food, or the “new ship smell”.  

• Like 8

For all there is to be said about the sundeck, I am very excited about what's inside the ship. The restaurants based on what we know sound great, I'm quite excited for the Cavern Club having not sailed on a ship that has it, and I'm pumped for both Choir of Man (which I tried to see on the Escape last year but waited too long and it was sold out) and Kinky Boots. Personally, on a Caribbean itinerary I'm more interested on spending my time in the sun in ports, not on the ship - but I am fair-skinned and burn quite easily, so have started to limit my sun exposure.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steff79 said:

Yes with refresh it changed sometimes. But my Firefox at my laptop didn‘ want to refresh is , maybe delete cache helps?

I had the same problem with Firefox so changed to Chrome and I've refreshed a few times this afternoon and got a different view. Latest one...

encore webcam view.png

Hi, having always wanted to visit New York and liking the relaxed atmosphere of ncl (only been on one previous cruise) the inaugural  cruise seemed ideal. I booked via a ta, paid for it there and then but they (ncl) hadn’t booked us a direct flight back to the UK so I had to pay more and fly from Newark not JFK. They said it was about the same distance from the port.

A week or two ago we discovered that there is only one excursion BUT it only drops off JFK Or A????? airports. I think we have either missed the Newark drop off or we are the only people going there. We’ve been searching for alternative excursions ourselves but I have mobility issues, plus what happens to our luggage?  I needn’t have worried because I’ve just discovered that our direct transfer to the airport is at 9 am!!!  Flight is around 7 pm!

So we are going to New York to sit In the airport all day. NCL are. no help Trip of a lifetime? I’m thinking not

It's probably LGA the other New York airport. Newark is actually over in New Jersey. I'm guessing the people running the tour don't want to tour NYC and then have to take you over to Jersey. LGA is on the way to JFK (more or less) whereas Newark is the complete opposite direction - they'd essentially have to have a bus just for Newark and I'm guessing there must not be a lot of demand for it if they don't offer it. 

35 minutes ago, YTZ123 said:

I needn’t have worried because I’ve just discovered that our direct transfer to the airport is at 9 am!!!  Flight is around 7 pm!

So we are going to New York to sit In the airport all day. NCL are. no help Trip of a lifetime? I’m thinking not

You don't need to take their transfer.  Given you've always wanted to see NYC, it's a shame it didn't occur to you to spend a night or two there at the end of the cruise, but I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing. You can still spend a little time seeing some of NYC. I'm sure there are places you can leave your luggage for a few hours, so I would do that and choose a couple of NYC sights to go see and then get a taxi or Uber to the airport.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, awinte2 said:

It is so sad to hear all the negative already and the ship has not even had its maiden voyage yet. 

I am booked for Feb 2 and am trying to thin of all the positive things like being on vacation on a beautiful new ship. Have been on smaller ships , mid size, and big ones and all have their issues but in the end we were still on a fabulous cruise ship getting waited on and having a great time where there are some that can only dream about it.

Stay positive everyone and enjoy your upcoming holiday on a gorgeous new ship.

I am going DEC 8th! I will let you know that the only thing negative will be the day I get off.  I hope you didn't take my concerns over deck space as negative but MOST cruisers to the Caribbean go for the sun. But if you look at the future cruises for this ship, it isn't going to spend a lot of time there and I don't necessarily blame NCL for the added activities to entice families to go on the less daytime active cruises. By that I mean all of the poolside activities that take place on Caribbean cruises. I agree with you 100% that it is vacation and although I am concerned, I can't suppress my excitement of being on this ship so soon after it's inaugural.  Still debating on if we need vibe passes or not. :)

• Like 2

another question for the experienced cruisers :)

does NCL update the room photos and floorplans once the ship begins sailing? Some of the rooms have one standard photo and floorplan per category even though the rooms in the category are not the same. i can see what i think are the real photos/floorplans on the Bliss or Joy, but not sure they are exactly the same on Encore...

On 10/14/2019 at 11:31 AM, eroller said:

Great pic ... but I still can't believe the lack of deck space on this ship.  If you don't pay for Vibe or the Haven you're pretty much screwed.  I think it's going to be a disaster in the Caribbean.  

As final payment is approaching, I'm seriously considering switching ships. What were they thinking?! 

Just now, KAYKAY121 said:

I want to add one more comment. I found a picture yesterday on another thread of SPICE H20 on a sea day. I bet there weren't 10 people in the picture and over a 100 empty deck chairs.

A dream. Finding a chair without searching. That is how cruise ships should be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KAYKAY121 said:

I want to add one more comment. I found a picture yesterday on another thread of SPICE H20 on a sea day. I bet there weren't 10 people in the picture and over a 100 empty deck chairs.

A current thread? Only Breakaway is in the Caribbean right now. The rest are all in colder areas - though Bliss/Joy either just got to or are about to go to Mexico from California. The rest are either NYC or the Baltics - not very outside deck friendly in October!

15 minutes ago, KAYKAY121 said:

I am going DEC 8th! I will let you know that the only thing negative will be the day I get off.  I hope you didn't take my concerns over deck space as negative but MOST cruisers to the Caribbean go for the sun. But if you look at the future cruises for this ship, it isn't going to spend a lot of time there and I don't necessarily blame NCL for the added activities to entice families to go on the less daytime active cruises. By that I mean all of the poolside activities that take place on Caribbean cruises. I agree with you 100% that it is vacation and although I am concerned, I can't suppress my excitement of being on this ship so soon after it's inaugural.  Still debating on if we need vibe passes or not. 🙂

We are on the week after you 12/15. Yes, sick of all the Encore complainers. We are on RCL Symphony of the Seas the same day the Encore starts the TA. And I need to share that they are entitled professional complainers. 

Just enjoy that you are above ground and can cruise..............

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

A current thread? Only Breakaway is in the Caribbean right now. The rest are all in colder areas - though Bliss/Joy either just got to or are about to go to Mexico from California. The rest are either NYC or the Baltics - not very outside deck friendly in October!

I don't even remember if it was here or FB. I got busy yesterday and thought I saved the picture but I can't find it. I will try to find it. I don't know what ship. I just know when we sailed the Escape, it was Hot and Spice H2O was not very breezy. Neither was the lower pool deck so we stayed upstairs and one more flight up was the under the radar bar right outside of the Vibe entrance. It became our go to spot.  Anyway, I have just been reading about all of the ships in this class to figure out where I am going bask in the sun and if I am going to have to give them more $$$$ for Vibe. I  know I will be giving them gocart money every day!

42 minutes ago, CazV said:

You don't need to take their transfer.  Given you've always wanted to see NYC, it's a shame it didn't occur to you to spend a night or two there at the end of the cruise, but I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing. You can still spend a little time seeing some of NYC. I'm sure there are places you can leave your luggage for a few hours, so I would do that and choose a couple of NYC sights to go see and then get a taxi or Uber to the airport.

This suited us as it was undemanding. A coach trip around the sights with airport drop off after a cruise seemed ideal. You are right there are lots of alternative excursions but not so easy to make it work for us, we thought about a night excursion but we don’t dock early enough.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

Actually the P&O Iona and the Carnival Mardi Gras are built on the same platform as the AIDAnova - AIDAcosma is the second LNG ship for AIDA.

steamboats

I think we are saying the same thing, or we are both correct. 😃 "The cruise ship will be powered by Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) a new growing trend of environmentally friendly fuel. She will be an identical design to sister ship Aidanova which is the first in this new LNG class for the German cruise line."

41 minutes ago, Cruiser Bruiser said:

You missed out the AIDAnova in your first post 😉 - AIDAnova is the first LNG powered ship, AIDAcosma will be the second for AIDA. The second LNG powered ship will be Costa Smeralda by the end of November, then Iona and Mardi Gras. All ships are based on the same concept (as all are for Carnival brands). But AIDAcosma is not based on Iona or Mardi Gras but on AIDAnova which is the first LNG cruise ship for Carnival.

steamboats

11 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Has anyone seen yet an exact date and time for the Handover Ceremony?

The date is Oct 30th. Time? Pretty likely in the morning... something like 10 or 11 am... But this will be inside anyway. The only thing you can see from the outside will be the change of flags.

steamboats

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, steamboats said:

The date is Oct 30th. Time? Pretty likely in the morning... something like 10 or 11 am... But this will be inside anyway. The only thing you can see from the outside will be the change of flags.

steamboats

Thank You   I hope they put the Bahamas flag up correctly this time.

20 hours ago, SailBreakaway said:

The following statement is purely me venting. I’m not expecting an actual answer...

Pressure Relief Valve Open..

I don’t get it. First let me say, I am on the Inaugural TA because it is the last of the BA class of ships that we have loved as a family (esp 2015 era NCL Management - Breakaway from NY) and my wife and I have wanted to do an inaugural TA for years. Were going to be indoors for many days and that’s something we love. Deck space and outdoor events won’t have any impact on us, nor will crowds like Summertime out of NY.  I had a Summer Bermuda booked on Encore and I’ve cancelled it. I won’t spend 5000$+ on that ship for a summer sailing that is packed. 

I keep reading over and over again about the lack of deckspace, the loss of Spice, the massive amounts of real estate made into some sort of Virtual  Reality, the extra charges for everything, and on and on. And then you read post after post of everyone throwing their money at NCL for this ship!!!! WHY? Book Getaway, Book Breakaway, Book Escape, Book Bliss or Joy even, but why is everyone investing in a product they don’t like?? Soon FDR will bloviate to his shareholders how Encore has more bookings than any other ship NCL has had and further out and on and on and on. He will brag how their go to market strategy for paid venues and virtual reality and go carts lead the industry in generating revenue both pre cruise and on board spending, yet over and over educated cruisers say “This is awful.... But I’m booked”. With all the options of ships and experiences and beautifully designed decks,  why??!?!?

This is rhetorical. I know some will love the design, mothers and fathers of kids and families may think this design is the pinnacle of cruising (until they want to spend an hour in the sun without the kids)

Time will tell, however I just don’t understand why so many will flock to book this ship at premium prices, but will declare the design sucks. 

I’m done.

Not looking for answers, just to vent. It’s capitalism, open free markets, and it’s what out country is founded on, but I just can’t get over with this design that “If you build it they will come”. 

Carry on!

Having said all that we are like 17 days from boarding and I’m excited as heck to do this Trans Atlantic with our family of 500 CC members!!

I get it and agree and if we weren't in the Haven, I would have booked a different line.

However, the reason I booked this ship, is that it is leaving New York.  I cruise often and once every few years

it is nice to leave close to home.  I would have booked any NCL newer/Away ship out of NY for next August, it wasn't

specifically the Encore.  That all said, I cannot wait to cruise on the Encore. If I were others and didn't care what port I was going to leave from, I would be canceling.  I don't get why people are upset before they get on the ship and still spending the money to sail if before final payment.

Edited by js