Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
TheDougOut

Everything... Norwegian ENCORE! Launch Nov 2019

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

That is the normal beef that they serve

 

The current Cagney’s menu refers to it as “Premium Black Angus Beef”, which isn’t the same as Certified Angus Beef. Also no mention of dry aging. I think Cagney’s used to serve CAB at some point but I don’t think I’ve ever seen dry aged on NCL. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside, there is a lot of mis-marketing in the food world. Think “Kobe” beef burgers in the US years ago (up until a certain point they definitely weren’t) or “super premium” ice cream (not an official grade or type of ice cream). It’s just marketing speak made to appear higher quality than it actually is. “Premium Black Angus” essentially just means beef (it’s the most common type sold for steaks) . This is not an indication of USDA grade (Choice, Prime, etc), however being CAB guarantees a minimum grade, ranging from high choice to prime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick note about the smoking thing.  My DW and I just visited WDW for a day since it was my granddaughter's first trip there.  There are NO smoking areas anywhere within the parks at WDW.  When we were in MK on Thursday, my wife had to walk out of the main gate of the park, outside of the security zone, and then to the edge of the Seven Seas Lagoon in order to have a cigarette (see bottom/right of attached picture).  I do not smoke, but I just thought this was ridiculous.  If they are going to prohibit smoking in the park, then they also need to reject people wearing way too much cologne/perfume, those that have not bathed in days, etc.

After seeing this, walking to the aft end of the ship does not seem as bad.

 

 

Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tomservo said:

As an aside, there is a lot of mis-marketing in the food world. Think “Kobe” beef burgers in the US years ago (up until a certain point they definitely weren’t) or “super premium” ice cream (not an official grade or type of ice cream). It’s just marketing speak made to appear higher quality than it actually is. “Premium Black Angus” essentially just means beef (it’s the most common type sold for steaks) . This is not an indication of USDA grade (Choice, Prime, etc), however being CAB guarantees a minimum grade, ranging from high choice to prime. 

“Super Premium” may be a gaudy marketing term for ice cream but you can use metrics like butterfat content and overrun to gauge quality.  Cheap supermarket ice cream half gallon squares are 10% butterfat at 100% overrun (the amount of air pumped into the product).  Quality ice cream would be 14% butterfat with overrun only at 30%.  Other factors, such as suppliers being held to a high standard, matter as a well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some aerial views of the upper deck...

 

21705EF0-9E7A-4802-8C10-26D99E6C7A8D.jpeg

 

B76D114B-C1B0-4A52-9BAC-323AE5F702A1.jpeg

 

4D030964-4EB1-4D0A-BCB6-2E8985DCFCE1.jpeg

 

31161DE9-9DFD-451F-8760-6E84942FCF9B.jpeg

 

(Instagram: kolbsteffen)

Edited by TheDougOut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fallujahkid said:

“Super Premium” may be a gaudy marketing term for ice cream but you can use metrics like butterfat content and overrun to gauge quality.  Cheap supermarket ice cream half gallon squares are 10% butterfat at 100% overrun (the amount of air pumped into the product).  Quality ice cream would be 14% butterfat with overrun only at 30%.  Other factors, such as suppliers being held to a high standard, matter as a well.

 

I agree, there are ways to quantify the quality of some aspects ice cream production with those metrics, while others are harder to quantify (quality of the milk/cream, of the chocolate and vanilla, etc). My point is that NCL along with many others are purposefully misleading consumers by calling their steaks something that sounds like Certified Angus Beef (which again guarantees a higher minimum quality) without it actually being CAB. There are examples of this everywhere, like champagne and sparkling wine. Parmesan, San Marzano tomatoes, truffle oil, and Kobe beef are more examples of food lies. In many of these cases they’re not just misleading but out-right lying, since they don’t call it Parmesan-style cheese, or Kobe-style beef. Although I’m starting to see more like that, so maybe things are starting to change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tomservo said:

In many of these cases they’re not just misleading but out-right lying, since they don’t call it Parmesan-style cheese, or Kobe-style beef.

 

I'm still wondering when melted cheese became "melty cheese"....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

 

I'm still wondering when melted cheese became "melty cheese"....

 

Melty is the tip of the iceberg.  I hate menu item descriptions that are so wordy and verbose to the point of being nonsense.

 

“Enjoy a handcrafted burger with cool crisp lettuce, expertly sliced farm fresh tomatoes, ooey gooey melty cheese, layered atop a freshly flame broiled 100% Premium Black Angus beef patty, gently cradled in between 2 soft, pillowy, baked to perfection buns lightly kissed by a delicate sprinkling of savory sesame seeds”

 

Also known as a Whopper.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Don't get your hopes up. Over the past year, we have almost given up on Cagney's because of very poor service and marginal food. 

 

And now that they’re charging real restaurant prices for food, people are going to have real restaurants expectations for their meal. People will absolutely start sending steaks back that are cold, tough and gristly. Maybe (hopefully?) this is their attempt to reboot Cagney’s into a new and improved restaurant on the Encore. 

 

Due to reviews and comments on here about Cagney’s, I haven’t actually eaten there. I’d rather take my chances on almost any other restaurant than risk losing an SDP credit there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As painful as it is for me to say, I have given up on Cagney's as well. My first experience with them in 2015 on the Getaway was fantastic, but the quality and service has been on a steady downward track since then. At this point I'd rather go to the main dining room. At least my food will be hot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Man, that racetrack must print money as the reason for NCL allocating so much deck space

 

The one on the Bliss really impressed me and this one looks like a ton of fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Joeghartman said:

 

The one on the Bliss really impressed me and this one looks like a ton of fun!

 

i want to try to the race track on my September 2020 Encore cruise but i do not want to get stuck with a group that drives slow, like golf cart slow. i want a real go kart speed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the scaffolding is coming down in Vibe...

 

2B7EB592-1580-4447-9C1C-CDEE5EC1627C.jpeg

 

Last week’s shot...

 

1C57C5AF-77D7-46FF-9255-8BAB1955CBB3.jpeg

Edited by TheDougOut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp. As a 4 times Breakaway customer I had been looking forward to trying Escape for something a little different... but then thought, hey, Encore will be in NYC soon...  Have digested about 30 pages of this thread and I guess I have to take a pass also.

- I can live with losing Spice H2O, but not at the awful cost of 1/4 of top deck space available to general passengers

- The upselling of NCL is driving me insane, and now 3/4 of the top deck space is for premium cost and specialty activities. No good.

 

I recently sailed Anthem of the Seas and that ship has top deck space figured out well. With enough pools and family and adult space.  Oh well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shof515 said:

 

i want to try to the race track on my September 2020 Encore cruise but i do not want to get stuck with a group that drives slow, like golf cart slow. i want a real go kart speed

 

You can pass and they encourage slower drivers to keep to one side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those pictures are really making me worried. I should have studied this more before booking, not enough pool  space for the size of this ship. Lets hope I'm wrong , but 3 days at sea.... I don't really want to have to pay for Vibe just to get a chair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we sailed RCCL  Liberty of the Seas the deck space and pools were amazing. So much room and the ability to accommodate lots of people in the pools. That said.....NCL had better food and suites and friendlier crew

on all of our sailings.At least comparing it to that one ship. I guess nothing is ever 100%. I am worried about the pool deck but will probably find lots of other things to compensate.

Edited by Peachypooh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the Encore booked since last new years for 2021 and got my balcony with three promos for my family of four for $500 less than an inside with one perk when they had the online pricing error for a day .......... and I'm still going to cancel. I have no interest, no matter what the savings, of having a pool deck that has room for like 60 people by the looks on a ship of 4000+. No thanks..... Did the Escape, Bliss for 15 , and cancelling the Encore and doing the Joy for 12 days instead. This new ship offers nothing new to be excited over and not worth the cost of the hype .... money grab to the extreme .... I'll pass.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 3:39 PM, Son of a son of a ... said:

Man, that racetrack must print money as the reason for NCL allocating so much deck space

“Man that big virtual snake maze thing on the back of the ship must print money...” 

 

- DID NO ONE SAY EVER!!! 

🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I've had the Encore booked since last new years for 2021 and got my balcony with three promos for my family of four for $500 less than an inside with one perk when they had the online pricing error for a day .......... and I'm still going to cancel. I have no interest, no matter what the savings, of having a pool deck that has room for like 60 people by the looks on a ship of 4000+. No thanks..... Did the Escape, Bliss for 15 , and cancelling the Encore and doing the Joy for 12 days instead. This new ship offers nothing new to be excited over and not worth the cost of the hype .... money grab to the extreme .... I'll pass.  

 

I agree. I didn't go in the pool much on other away classes because of the water features in spice, but I'm just having a hard time looking at encore and thinking it'd be fun on a sea day. 

 

I might end up on it if prices end up dropping if there's bad reviews, but it'd have to be cheap compared to the sister ships. I'm bummed because even though I was underwhelmed with the racetrack, I really loved Bliss when I was on it and was hopeful for encore. 

 

I'm intrigued to see what happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BruinsFan08 said:

Thanks for doing  this! I'm sailing in steerage class, so I can max out at 19...

 

I am also in steerage class but Victorious is my name and I will not let something like being a non Haven guest stop me from getting into the Haven bar 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, smplybcause said:

 

I agree. I didn't go in the pool much on other away classes because of the water features in spice, but I'm just having a hard time looking at encore and thinking it'd be fun on a sea day. 

 

I might end up on it if prices end up dropping if there's bad reviews, but it'd have to be cheap compared to the sister ships. I'm bummed because even though I was underwhelmed with the racetrack, I really loved Bliss when I was on it and was hopeful for encore. 

 

I'm intrigued to see what happens. 

This will be  our first time on NCL. If I had not booked early flight out of MIA and Cats with a western itinerary wasn’t on Oasis for the week, I would have changed ships due to all the negative posts on the NCL board. I paid final payment yesterday and am going into it glass half full. Looking forward to time away and trying something new. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...