Top 3 things that you hate about a cruise?

Lydia B.

The number one item for us is the regimen of it. The port schedules, the dining schedules, and the same room and same food types for days on end.
We never felt that anything except for ports times was forced on us. You always have options...

Of course you most likely cannot change your cabin in the middle of the cruise, but it's just like staying in the same hotel for a week or more.

Some interesting dislikes. Luckily, most seem minor in the scheme of things though.

I would hope most "Hates" from a group of admitted cruise addicts are of the minor variety.

I'm sure most of the "Hates" would be major on the "I REALLY, REALLY HATE CRUISING" message board.;)

Chair hogs, chair hogs, oh, did I mention chair hogs? Somebody mentioned they hate sea days. Don’t like sea days? Don’t pick an itinerary that has lots of them. I love sea days. Always try to choose a cruise that is heavily weighted with sea days.

People who are loud and obnoxious. No offense to my fellow NY area passengers but the L and O are often people from Staten Island. Many examples of same. People who are rude to the crew. Oh and people who go on deck at 7am to mark off 4,5,6 or more chaise lounges.

Overnight in ports. Seems that this only serves the cruise line, I.e. saves on fuel. Nights should be at sea.

Well, it really depends on the port.

People love nights in Bermuda, Venice and some other ports. Staying overnight allows to do some amazing things which aren't available during the day.

For example in Bermuda there are nightly street fairs on Wednesdays in Hamilton or biobay.

In Copenhagen we were able to see a little Mermaid which is very crowded during the day.

We love overnights in ports :). Years ago it did not happen very often, but some lines such as HAL have pioneered the idea...and they tend to do it in some fascinating ports located in Europe and Asia. When we get an overnight in Lisbon (this has happened to us 3 times) we always go off the ship for dinner an Fado in our favorite Fado supper club. When we had an overnight in Istanbul it allowed us a fantastic evening ashore...with dining and an evening show.

The overnights are win-win for many reasons. It is a terrific crew morale booster because a majority of them get multiple hours off...not to mention some interesting crew parties held ashore. The red eyes in some of the crew when we go to breakfast says it all :). For passenger it allows us to dine ashore and enjoy some nightlife...and it also allows us to not worry about getting back to the ship on that first day.

I will admit to not being overly excited about some of the overnights in Caribbean ports. On a Celebrity cruise we had an overnight in Curacao...and this would not be a port would choose for those overnights. St Maarten would have been a great choice for an overnight (before last years devastating hurricane) because the island had some fantastic restaurants (especially in Grand Case).

I should add that for the passengers that have no desire to go ashore in the evening, they certainly can stay on the ship and do their usual thing.

Hank